“Great location ... get what you pay for!”
Review of Gulf Sands Motel

Gulf Sands Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Saint Joe
Gulf Sands Motel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Port Saint Joe
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Great location ... get what you pay for!”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Lady in office was very helpful, knowledgable of the area, & friendly. Owners need to paint & few other things. Great location ... across street from beautiful white sand beach, next to a pub with great oysters and burgers, and not too far to get to other cool things. No pets allowed but that's cool ... no smelly rooms. Great motel to save money on your lodging and spend it having fun. People shouldn't be so critical. And within an hour or less you can check out a movie, the mall, Panama City Beach, and a lot more.

• Stayed February 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Destin, Florida, United States
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I read all the reviews and decided to book 2 nights anyway because we just needed a place to crash for a few hrs during a quick family trip to the Port St. Joe area. BIG MISTAKE!!! When we arrived the owner double charged our credit card despite being quoted $55 a night by phone and prices listed on the website. He said it was double because it was a holiday weekend when we arrived. We demanded a refund on the spot and he then threatened a 20% booking charge. Avoid this place at all costs...it's not worth saving a few bucks!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Michelle C

Travellers are raving about these Port Saint Joe hotels

LaFayette, Alabama
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I have been staying at the Gulf Sands for many years. I have always enjoyed my stay. Any time I needed extra towels or Toilet paper there was never a problem. The owners Kay and Jay have always been very nice to me. in the many years I have stayed there ,the rooms have always been clean. It is an old beach Motel and thats why I love it. The beach is right across the road .

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank francine67
St. Pete, FL
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We had to change our travel plans and reroute to the PCB area literally 12 hours before the 3-day weekend began. Every hotel in the area was booked; I started calling every motel from PCB south along the shoreline and the first place with an available room was the Gulf Sands Motel. I booked over the phone and THEN read all the reviews on tripadvisor. The reviews had me seriously concerned that I'd be sleeping in my car - we even packed our own towels and toilet paper based on some of the reviews.

Now, I cannot speak to the previous reviewers' experiences because I wasn't there. Most of those reviews are 2-3 years old, so perhaps there's new management or they simply took the reviews to heart and made serious changes. There's also a fair possibility that people booked a motel for the cheaper rate and were then upset they didn't get 4-star hotel service and took their frustrations out here. Who knows? Here were our experiences:

AWESOME location directly across the street from the beach! There's a pub/oyster bar next door and about 2 blocks north is an Exxon with all the beach amenities you may need as well as a decent beer selection (build your own 6-packs, some imports like Stella in the cooler, etc.) The owners were very friendly - we chatted with them on a couple of occasions about travel, family, and (as we are small-business owners ourselves) business.

CLEAN room with 2 double beds (both very comfortable), a TV, a small table with 2 chairs, a cushy chair with ottoman, a microwave and mini-fridge. The carpets were clean, there were NO bedbugs and no weird smells emanating from the bathroom. Also, the tub and toilet were clean. Please keep in mind, this is a small beach motel. The room was perfectly fine for the 2 of us, but it's not huge. There were blackout curtains for privacy and our room was right next to the manager's office but we didn't hear any noise from other rooms. (We also sleep with the TV on for ambient noise, so we're not terribly sensitive anyway.) The A/C was on powersave mode when we arrived (as it should be - why run it all day when no one's there?) but you just switch it to High and the room cooled off quickly. The fridge worked fine as well - we kept it stocked with drinks our entire stay.

For the price ($130/night) on one of the busiest beach holidays of the year, we will absolutely stay here whenever we're in the PCB area!

Look, you know your travel style. Be honest with yourself: If you don't want the potential of sharing a wall with someone, rent a beach house. If you have a problem with people of Indian descent owning a business, don't stay here because the lovely owners happen to be Indian. If you like a swanky room with a view and a pool, stay somewhere else! But please, don't book a room because of the low price tag then get upset because you wanted something they were never prepared to offer and punish them with a bad review. I just didn't experience ANY of the horrible things mentioned in previous reviews at all.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank shopgirlmeg
Burlison, Tn
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Where we come from this type of motel charges by the hour. And that's all I've got to say about that.

Air was off when we arrived at 11:30 pm and it took until the next day to cool the room. It beat sleeping in the car and made for an interesting story, but I really wish the other places in town would have had an open room. We lived and it does make you appreciate some of the other places we've stayed.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ohmboy
vevay, in
Reviewed 9 August 2012

i tried ti to rent a room at the gulf sands this past may. i have a service dog.. and was denied a room. i was very tired so did not pursue the matter...but beware, they do no follow the laws, even when shown the dog's badge and information about the ADA rules

Room Tip: was denied a room