“Quiet & relaxed”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Port Saint Joe
Cumming, GA
“Quiet & relaxed”
Reviewed 9 April 2010

This Inn is very well located in Port St. Joe, on the corner of Hwy 71 and Hwy 98. It is right across the street from a little park and pier. We stayed at the Inn 3 nights and were able to walk across the street to the park so that our toddler could play on the slides, swing & run around in the grass. The staff was knowledgeable and helped us find a couple nice places to eat and a secluded beach to enjoy. The breakfast each morning was great, especially being able to eat on the front porch. It consisted of muffins, toast, cereal, oatmeal, cheese grits, biscuits & gravy, eggs, fruit, fressh (made-to-order)omeletts and waffles. We didn't get a chance to enjoy the pool, but were told that you could swim at any time, as long as you weren't noisy. I liked the fact that it didn't close at 10pm like most hotel pools. I also liked that they had a computer in the lobby with free internet access. My husband enjoyed an evening at the Thirsty Goat lounge, which he enjoyed. They made great drinks for us.

We had a King/Queen suite on the first floor. The queen was a pull out couch in a separate sitting room. We had our own back door out to the parking lot, which was really nice. They provided a pack 'n play for our toddler with sheet. I also liked the fact that the furniture did not have any sharp edges, so child proofing was not necessary. We also had a fridge and microwave, which is a must with a toddler.

The cons to our stay were that the rooms were a little small for the price. The king suite A/C did not work. It was on the entire time we were there, but was not blowing out cold air. The A/C worked great in the sitting room. The robes provided were scratchy and uncomfortable. The pillows were too hard for our liking. And, we found a couple of nasty, long black and brown hairs embedded in our towels.

Other than that, our stay was good and we would definitely recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
florida
Reviewed 8 April 2010

We stayed at the Port Inn for 2 nights. It's a great place to stay. The room was small but clean. The bathroom was spotless. The staff are very nice, very helpful. They serve breakfast, not your usual breakfast bar. A very nice hot breakfast, eggs, biscuits and gravy, omletts. My only complaint was the coffee, to strong for me. They have a nice Florida room with big screen TV and games. The bar is nice with great nightly specials. The park across the street is a good place to see a sunset. There are a few resturants within walking. If your going to Port St Joe stay at the Inn.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Tallahassee, FL
Reviewed 11 August 2009

My husband and I go here nearly every year for our anniversary. We keep coming back because we can relax completely here. Its very quiet, despite being close to a major road. Always clean and the staff go out of their way to make your stay as nice as possible. The pool is on the small side so you have to grab some time out there when its not being used, which is easy to do since its a small inn. There are a few shops nearby and you can catch a sunset cruise less than a mile from the inn. The downstairs rooms with porches are nice, in the evening we were treated to music playing at the Thirsty Goat bar at the end of the inn.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Atlanta
Reviewed 20 June 2009

A very quaint hotel centrally located in a small, sleepy town. Staff is very friendly, and the hotel is clean and well decorated. The room we had (king on first floor with patio) was quite small, but the bathroom was large and the jacuzzi tub a nice addition. A double vanity would have been great, but not a big deal. Even though it was technically a "bay view", you really can't see the bay very well, because it's across the street and beyond a small park. The private patio again was nice, but you're listening to the sound of cars go by, not the ocean surf. The pool is tiny and next to the parking lot. Skip it and make the drive up to one of the great beaches in the area, only a 10 minute drive. The complimentary breakfast was excellent! If you are visiting Port St. Joe, this is really your only realistic option, and I would recommend it.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
MIAMI
Reviewed 30 July 2008

My wife and I wanted to check out the Florida Panhandle and picked Port St Joe to stay. The place is clean and quaint and so was our room (a queen bed) though a tad small. The inn offered a drink coupon when we booked but the clerk at check-in neglected to provide it to us. The AC unit dominated the room and was somewhat noisey. Breakfast was decent but the coffee dispenser was empty when we got there and not re-filled (we drank the de-caf, instead). There's a terrific beach about 30 minutes away at the state park but nothing near the hotel.

• Liked — A nice example of preserving old/historic buildings.
  • Disliked — The area was striving to make a comeback but has a ways to go.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank MGIF
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 5 June 2008

I was in Port St Joe for work and was referred to Port Inn by my client. The front desk staff, Al, was very friendly and took the time to give me some background on Port St Joe. The room and common areas were very clean. I enjoyed the complimentary breakfast (espeically, the cheese grits) and eating it on the porch overlooking St Joseph Bay. The Thirsty Goat is a wonderful establishment situated within the hotel. They have a great selection of wines, beer and liquour to compliment the free snacks. The bartender, Madison, did a great job of making me feel welcome. If you are heading to Port St Joe and you desire a cold beer on Sunday, make sure you stop to pick one up on your way...They are dry on Sundays. I highly recommend Port Inn.

• Liked — Thirsty Goat
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank iGoFarDallas
Lizella GA
Reviewed 4 June 2008

We were supposed to stay at the Port Inn in Port St. Joe, FL for two nights (June 2 & 3). I suffer from fibromyalgia and lupus, and have extreme muscle/joint pain; so, we booked a room with a Jacuzzi tub.
This trip was to celebrate my birthday. I have difficulty riding long distances and knew the Jacuzzi tub would help with my pain. After a six hour ride, I was looking forward to soaking in a hot tub. However, this did not happen. When we arrived, my husband was told that the manager had booked our room. They would be happy to upgrade us to a suite without a Jacuzzi tub at a discounted price.

We had received e-mail confirmation of our room the week before and I had called the Inn the Friday before asking about a place to store my scooter. I was told then that our reservations were confirmed. Imagine our surprise. This was supposed to be a great place to stay. I guess that only matters when you are not handicapped.

We ended up staying at a motel down the road because I was in too much pain to travel home. The next morning we made the six hour trip home. The stress of the trip and miles in a car have thrown me into a flare, resulting in extreme pain.

I guess the moral of this story is not to rely on confirmations, especially if you have special needs. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Stayed June 2008
2 Thank SoreRider
KayceeK, Manager at Port Inn, responded to this review, 20 May 2009
I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience the birthday girl experienced. The guests that stayed in the room she was scheduled to check into decided to stay another night. They didn't want to move rooms. Since we had a Suite avaialble we decided to upgrade the birthday girl to that suite.

We learned two valuable lessons from this experience. First is when upgrading a guest it is best to contact them first to confirm the upgrade still fits their needs. While the suite has more space, a mini fridge, microwave, and an extra bed it lacks the Jacuzzi tub. Second if a guest has special needs that should be documented on their reservation so everyone is aware.

We all make mistakes from time to time; what's important is that we learn from them and don't continue making the same ones. Again I am truly sorry to have had part in ruining this birthday.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Saint Joe
#4 of 5 in Apalachicola
Coombs House Inn
Coombs House Inn
#1 of 3 in Apalachicola

Been to Port Inn? Share your experiences!