“Worst Staff Imaginable..Do not waste your money”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Saint Joe
Black's Island Vacation Resort
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I have stayed all over the world, and to say the staff here is the worst of them all, is an understatement. Once you are there, you are at their mercy. They are nowhere to be found, the restaurant is never open, and the facility is falling apart. Boards on the deck were literally giving way. Not to mention the pool, which was disgusting, trash all over the place, and a hot tub that hasn't worked in over a year. Do not waste your money!

• Stayed: July 2014
16  Thank Bob E

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Was there July 4th, Staff was rude and treated us very rude, I would never recommend this island once your are there you are at their mercy, They made our stay the worst ever. after being there a few hours we left, and its been impossible to get our money back, When trying to get a hold of someone for a refund, Good Luck!!! They will not answer your phone calls or return them.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
18  Thank Flablossom55
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Just returned from our wedding on Blacks island.
This place is incredible.What a bargain for a wedding, the catering was amazing and The hosts and staff were very friendly. If you are looking for the ultimate place for a beach wedding this is it.sunsets, friends,island time,and somehow there is still privacy.cant wait to return for our first anniversary. Russell

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank diamont24
Reviewed 10 October 2013

The island was beautiful and the bungalows are stunning. They offered an amazing view of the water and sunset.

We had a great time scalloping and using the paddle boards.

In the end we felt it was extremely overpriced and felt we would have had just as much fun had we gone with the cheaper option we were looking into (yet we know to always be a success on the cape). This was a large splurge to us and it did not meet or come near what our expectations were after reading the reviews.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
17  Thank LiveLaughLove123
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Island is beautiful. Bungalows are spacious and lovely.

Resort itself, though, feels like an afterthought. Owners are nice but when paying elite- level prices, it needs to be reflected in the resort's customer service and amenities. Discrepancy between cost of stay and what you're getting is huge. Staff was scarce to almost comic proportions. Garbage littered the island, which I was surprised at. It's a small island, but there were beer cans and plastic wrappers here and there. Other examples: garbage in lodge's bathroom was overflowing for two days, with candy wrappers littering the floor. Scuba masks for guests had lipstick marks all over them. Breakfast area: garbage can had no liner/ bag in it.

Breakfast is supposed to be offered from 7 to 10. At 8:30, I came in with my children and the owner is hanging out, says he hasn't gotten around to putting breakfast out yet. Doesn't work with families with young children. Breakfast offerings are the kind of plastic- encased stuff, with weak coffee, that you'd find in an Econolodge. The whole idea of "we're on island time" is fine if the prices reflect that. But "I'll get to it when I get to it" of course doesn't work with 350- 500 a night prices. Perhaps that's not a lot of money to some, but we really splurged based on the reviews, and got something very different.

No information given before arriving to island except for a restaurant menu and how to get picked up. When I asked about the "restaurant", staff member didn't know what hours dinner was served and told me I needed to order a few hours ahead of time with staff. So, not really a restaurant but a food service that was available if you could find someone to order from. Ditto the full bar: was told I couldn't get a beer because the owners had the keys and again, I'd have to call them to find out where they were. About three hours later, I was able to get a beer.

A resort like this also needs a checklist sent to guests that aren't from the area, listing stuff like the need to pick up all groceries before entering the island, the fact that there's a washer/ dryer in bungalows, so bring detergent, coffee filters, etc....

All in all, I just didn't get it. Felt like an idea that just didn't work. Also felt like a playground for people that own their own boats and are from the area.

Final thing that summed up the customer service: out of towels and need a few more. Can't find anyone to ask. Finally, I see a staff member but she disappears behind the bungalows and when I call, there's no answer. Didn't hear me or ignoring me? Try throughout the day. No towels by pool, kids are freezing. Pool hasn't been cleaned. Finally, I find a young man. He seems impatient, doesn't apologize. Proceeds to tell me I need to call the owners on the cell phone to reach them. Also tells me what each of the staff members are doing as if to say they're too busy. Finally, an hour later, my kids get towels.

Remarks kept being made about how we would want to run back after going to St. Joe's State Park (we were spending two days at Blacks and a week at the park). However, St. Joe's offered great beauty and isolation at a tenth of the price. Could go into more detail about the randomness of our two days here, but I think you get the idea. Had a good time because we just had to let it go and enjoy the great beauty the island offered. However, don't want other families to pay out the ear and not know what they're getting into.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
29  Thank GeorgiaJohnson
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We recently stayed at Black's Island and went scalloping and LOVED IT!! We couldn't have asked for nicer people to take care of us and nicer accommodations! If you want to make some great memories with your family and friends and have a relaxing blast doing it this is the place to go! Thanks Jeff, Wanda and crew!

Room Tip: LOVED IT!! (But IT IS an Island so bring some bug spray)
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank pcaqua
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Everything at Blacks Island Resort was near Perfect. I could have stayed for months, plenty to do, great food. Beautiful skies at night.

The bungalows are awesome, lots of time put into the custom woodwork. Not a bad view from any window. Very luxurious. The beds were fantastic.

Wanda and Jeff, very attentive and just great people through and through! The grounds are meticulously kept. We loved the chickens roosters and bunnys. So much other wildlife tooooo!

We will go back, Thank goodness we left our fishing rod... we will have to return to get it.
Hopefully sooner than later.

Room Tip: All the bungalows are perfect, there is not a bad one.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
#3 of 5 in Apalachicola
Turtle Glass at Windmark Beach
Turtle Glass at Windmark Beach
#7 of 7 in Port Saint Joe

Been to Black's Island Vacation Resort? Share your experiences!