“Clean room, Good staff but...”

Holiday Inn Port St. Lucie
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Port Saint Lucie
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Holiday Inn Review

Let me start by saying that the staff was very good and the room was clean and it was kept clean throughout our five day, four night stay. BUT - the bathroom was a turnoff for me. The water pressure in the sink was minimal, the toilet had to be flushed at least two times to complete the operation (but fortunately no true backup), and the shower/tub took 5-10 minutes to drain after a quick shower. We were given a smoke-free room but the hall reeked of smoke. The desk staff told us that the entire floor was smoke free which led us to believe that they were using vacuums from other floors or, our (sensitive) Arizona based noses was detecting the smell of Florida mildew? After a day or two, our noses became desensitized and we no longer detected as strong an odor. Being there for five days, a mini-refrigerator would have been appreciated. But we got through it.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 October 2012

We stayed in this hotel 15 days ago, we were so tired due to hour long hours driving (we went as a family)... the rooms were super clean, everything in excellent conditons...
The breakfast is good, they have few choices, enough for a free breakfast.
The staff was friendly... coming back from our final destination I decided to cancel other's hotel reservation and stay again at this hotel, I felt safe with my family there... very good location I must say...

Room Tip: Book early , you will get better rates than booking 1-2-3 days before....(as in any hotel)
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2012

INITIAL REACTION:
I stayed at this hotel the weekend of October 5-7, 2012 for a pinochle tournament that my sister played in. My initial reaction to the appearance of the hotel was not great because of the previous reviews. The reviews were most accurate in terms of the wear and tear of the hotel and its need for updating. The lobby furnishing is worn beyond repair and should be thrown away. I could not sit on the sofas, so I opted to sit in an old leather covered straight chair. Note to HI: there a a Goodwill donation center right down the street. The manager/owner should be embarassed or maybe, just don't care.

THE ELEVATOR:
Very slow, and one is actually coming from the wall. When we reported it, maintenance had left for the day, but someone tried to repair it later by putting a "bandaid" on it for a temporary fix.

THE ROOM:
The room is very small and cramped with an even smaller bathroom. The chairs and other furnishing need replacing immediately. There is no refrigerator or microwave in the room. If you want appliances, you must get a "suite"! Ha! Same room, same size, just 1 bed and a nasty sofabed, for an additional $10.00. However, surprisely, the bed was very clean and comfortable, therefore provide a peaceful rest for me. Had it not, that would have been a deal breaker for me.

ICE MACHINE:
Don't expect to get any ice quickly on the 5th floor, as it take a little manuerving to get a bucket. 2nd floor works great!

THE POOL: The pool area is impressive with the waterfall flowing continously, However, if you're not an experienced swimmer, it's (waterfall) no enjoyment to you.

PETS: Not for me. I saw several dogs without crates, that made me uneasy. However, I never heard them barking or running around during my stay. I love dogs...just not in my hotel.

FOOD: Our hotel deal provided 2 FREE breakfast buffets per room, which was wonderful, delicious, and filling. There were a few pastries, but the breakfast was a FULL hot breakfast which was a nice treat. During our stay, we were provided a lovely hot buffet lunch on Saturday which consisted of, roast beef, fried chicken, veggie medley, new potatoes, roll, tea. Since I was enjoying the pool during lunch; my sister fixed a plate for me to enjoy later. I asked one of the many very friendly waitresses in the cafe' to heat in the microwave, which she gladly did. Food was delicious.
But, I don't think that I would have purchase anything from the restaurant had it not been included as the prices were pretty steep. Also, the bar/lounge never opened during my stay.

LOCATION:
Hotel is very convenient to shopping, malls, beach, and restaurant. There is a Beall's and Shop A Lot Grocery just across the street, and Sonny's barbeque next door.

AIR CONDITIONER:
Very loud and old motel model instead of wall, digital thermostats.

SPECIAL KUDOS to the ENTIRE front desk staff, especially Linda & Lisa, 5th floor housekeeping team, and Justino, who helped to get my car started.

Room Tip: 5th floor was very quiet. The ice machine doesn't work properly. Also, there is a microwave on...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Deborah H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port St. Lucie, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Dear Deborah H,

Thank you for the detailed review of our hotel. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I'm particularly appreciative that you have mentioned our comfortable beds. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the hotel conditions may have caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 11 September 2012

I have stayed at this hotel over the years many times and the recent renovation is pretty thorough
Very nice accommodating staff. Small bathrooms which is expected for older properties but convenient to many good areas and restaurants.
My only issue is the HOTEL HAS A VERY LIBERAL PET POLICY and that is a problem for me.
I like pets just Dont want them in my Hotel .
I am told there are pet floors 2 and 4 but they usually take the elevator 9I dont get it but i am having to reconsider my options for hotels in the area if the policy continues).

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I have never been through a hurricane and wanted to get off the island we were on when the storm came. We decided to go to the Holiday Inn, Port St. Lucie. The front desk clerk was amazing, she helped me check in early to get ahead of the storm. As well, she was welcoming and friendly even though I brought tons of luggage and supplies. The following day the manager assisted me with a late check-out due to a tornado warning during regular check-out hours. Great hotel overall.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2012

My wife and I stayed one night, a Saturday, after spending the day moving our daughter into her new apartment. Check-in was a breeze. We were not able to take advantage of the great looking pool, but it appeared to be clean and well maintained. Our only negative comment would be the size of the bathroom and the dated armoire/tv cabinet (very 80's!). We plan on staying again on our next visit!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I sayed here on Saturday, July 29, 2012 to visit family in town. I was pleasantly surprised as you never really can tell what your getting when you book online. The woman at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. Check-in was not only courteous but fast. Upon entering the room there were a couple of issues, the toilet paper on the roll was from the previous people and without being descriptive had tells tale signs of being just that, I immediately pulled the corner of the bed mattress bed (after my horrific bed bug experience in Paris) to check and the mattress pad had stains all down the side as if a coffee or soda had spilled on the pad, there were black hairs also on the mattress pad. On my way out to dinner I advised the front desk of what I had observed and she took my concerns very sreiously and apologized and stated that the situation would be rectified. Upon arrival from dinner, everything had been corrected, new mattress pads, all clean. The front desk apologized once again and stated they appreciated that we advised them of this as they need to know of such issues. The pool was pleasant and I enjoyed the relaxing sound of the waterfall. There were only two other people all evening at the pool. I would definately stay here again and the price was outrageously reasonable. I did not find the hotel in desperate need of repair and modernization as others have experienced and I will admit that I am rather picky.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Saint Lucie
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port St. Lucie-Tradition
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port...
#1 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Hampton Inn & Suites Port St. Lucie, West
Hampton Inn & Suites Port St. Lu...
#3 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Courtyard Hutchinson Island Oceanside/Jensen Beach
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port St. Lucie West
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#8 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Best Western Port St. Lucie
Best Western Port St. Lucie
#7 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village / Port St. Lucie
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village...
#2 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie

Been to Holiday Inn Port St. Lucie? Share your experiences!