“Not Worth the $$$$”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Port Saint Lucie
Chicago
“Not Worth the $$$$”
Reviewed 16 March 2011

My girlfriend and I chose this resort for a worry-free, all-inclusive, golf getaway.

We arrived at the resort on a Friday evening after a long day of travel, looking forward to the advertised cocktail welcome. We were offered water or lemonade and told to wait because our reservation could not be located. It turns out our reservation was for the following month. It took the agent at the front desk several trips to a back room, the purpose for which we could not discern, to figure this out. She finally emerged with a telephone number, advising us to call club med's toll-free reservation line for help. That number, by the way, was to what appeared to be a sex line. We accessed the internet from our phones to get the correct number. (Although the resort has wireless fidelity, it is not included in the “all-inclusive” package.)

After more than 10 minutes of listening to club med's tropical theme song, we were live with a defensive customer service agent. After several more periods on hold, the agent finally returned to say we were out of luck because the dates were confirmed at the time the reservation was made. Rather than arguing over fault, we asked the agent to check current availability, since we had traveled all the way from Chicago and were standing in the lobby. The agent informed us we could stay for an additional $161 per person in a "pre-renovated" room without a view (we had originally reserved a renovated room with a bay view). After threatening never to return to a club med and several more minutes on hold, the agent finally waived the $161 additional fee and we were in!

The "pre-renovated" room was, for lack of a better word, gross. Mildew and mold growing up pale turquoise tile, a 19” tube tv suspended from the wall, a buzzing window unit beside aluminum patio doors, water pressure not strong enough to rinse shampoo, and décor dating back at least three decades.

We left the room in search of food and that cocktail we were promised. We walked into MarketPlace, the buffet restaurant. No one greeted us and it was unclear whether we were to seat ourselves. Using our survival skills, we staked claim to an empty table for two, located utensils and hit the buffet. We could not procure fresh water or, more importantly, wine.

Still in search of that cocktail, we went to Slice, the only bar. The bartenders were great! I don't know if they were part of the "G.O. team," whatever that is, but we were finally getting our warm, cocktail welcome. The drink selection was poor (budweiser beer only, off-brand liquors and pina colada/strawberry daiquiris supplied by vats of partially solidified premix), but the bartenders were willing to mix on request.

I went to the yoga class the following morning. It was held outside on newly-laid, bumpy sod near the gazebo that overlooks the river. Towels, rather than traditional yoga mats, were provided. These conditions restricted the practice to stretching, and while I normally like a more intense workout, the sights, smells and sun made for a relaxing start to the day.

We went to Soleil, the a la carte restaurant, for breakfast. Again, there was no one to greet us, so we sat down at a cleared table. There was one server for about ten tables and no one to bus. It took about 20 minutes to be acknowledged and another 15 minutes for coffee.

With our clubs in tow (club storage is not included in the “all-inclusive” package), we headed for the course. The pro shop did not have our golf reservation in its system and directed us back to the resort’s front desk. The agent there could not tell us why there was a problem and would disappear into the back for several minutes at a time, only to return with no new information. It was as if there was a crystal ball in back that was slow to reveal whether we would play golf that day. After several minutes of waiting and confirmation that we had, in fact, paid for two days of unlimited golf, we decided to leave. The next time the agent returned from the mysterious back room, we asked her to resolve the issue with the pro shop and walked out.

We checked in with the starter and told him we were walking nine. He started us without incident. Two shots later, he approached and said walking is not allowed on the course until 2 p.m. My girlfriend headed back for a cart while I finished the hole. She returned a foursome later, having been redirected to the front desk to retrieve paperwork confirming our golf reservation for the pro shop. On a positive note, she received a ride from a pro shop staff member that time.

The course itself was unimpressive. The highlight was the wildlife. We saw an alligator, cool birds and a fox! On Saturday morning, there was a beverage cart on the course. Service did not extend into Saturday afternoon or Sunday and the beverages/snacks were not included in the “all-inclusive” package.

We returned from golf to see that a large group had checked into the resort. This must have prompted management to staff the place. We were greeted at dinner, seated, served, etc. The service died down again on Sunday, but not to the state of desolation we experienced during the first 24 hours of our stay.

I have vacationed at a handful of all-inclusive, 4-star resorts in Mexico and one in the Dominican Republic. The food at Sandpiper was on par with these resorts. The drinks did not flow in the same way. The room accommodations were the worst I have seen. The pool, restaurant and other primary common areas look nicer on the website than in person. The yoga program needs work but the fitness facility was well equipped and clean.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank staceyshonkwiler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (756)
  • Hebrew first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 March 2011

This is a perfect place for families. As it wasn't on a beach, it felt more llike a summer camp for families. There were lots of activities for every member of the family. Tennis/golf for the parents, kids club for the children. Everyone was taken care of. Had a wonderful kids camp, very friendly staff, and a beautiful view of the river. Food was great at the buffet. We had a "pre-renovated" room. Would DEFINITELY need a "renovated" room next time. Beautiful adults only infinity pool and hot tub. Would recommend ONLY families coming here. As two friends, we felt out of place.

Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this review, 20 March 2011
Dear Melissa88D,
We're glad to hear that you and your friend had such a great time! We appreciate all the great things you've said about Club Med Sandpiper Bay and hope you come back and visit us again soon!
East Coast, USA
Reviewed 14 March 2011

I traveled to the resort with my husband, mother, my 10 month old and my 2 year old. I have mixed feelings about the place, some great things and some that would have been OK, had the promotional material not promised more than it offered.

A little about us: We stayed for 5 nights, we keep our kids on meal and nap schedules, we're not germiphobes, but we are sensible about keep things around us clean, and we love to participate with our kids.

** Childcare: I expected activities, equipment, games etc. for every age.
This was fabulous. They've 4-5 room day care which has toys, games, mats, and even a room with all those soft sided large blocks for kids to climb on. What's even better about this child care option is that you can use the facilities with your kids, even if they aren't enrolled in the day care. So we'd go pretty much any time and could play with all the toys, use the outdoor toys like cars and bikes. We'd go between dinner and bedtime or whenever. Very flexible. And convenient to change a diaper there, rather than head back to the room or use one of those bathroom changing tables that hang off a wall.

You can also choose to use the day care in 1/2 day increments. Because our kids sleep in the afternoon, we signed the kids up for the mornings. (This worked well for us because the lesson lessons are in the morning).

The childcare center has equipment to change the kid’s diapers, warm bottles, feed meals, etc. It seemed like they had everything they needed.

My only hesitation about the center was their sign in and sign out control. Typically a day care center won't let others come in to play with your kids or sign them out unless a parent has given authorization. Since my mom was traveling with us, she went in to play with the 10 month old and the center staff was OK with is. They took her word that she was the grandma (and my daughter running to her was probably proof too); but they didn't check with me or my husband first. Grandma didn't take baby out, so maybe that's why the center wasn't concerned. Still, not the best idea to let a stranger come in and play with a kid claiming to be a relative.

The staff was nice. Mostly young, energetic, and had a way with kids. As with any day care center, they tried to follow the infants schedule, but given all the kids they have it's probably not always possible.

The cribs in the center are pack n plays. I don't love pack n plays because they can't be cleaned thoroughly between uses. And you never really know what's been lurking there (kids vomit, urine etc). But, sigh, we kind of let it go. Plus, we knew our kids weren't napping there. The pack n plays looked to be about 10 years old.

The center staff did call me once when my toddler was crying. I ran back, calmed my toddler down, and was on my way again. I appreciated the call when they knew she was really upset.

One added bonus, which I didn't read about on the site, is the Art Center. We loved this room, and I miss this most about the place. It's a great place for kids to try out so many new crafts, learning skills, etc. It's stocked like a dream for any art teacher. They've got craft paper, huge rolls of paper, paining easels, markers, scissors, glues, paints, paint brushes, glitter - you name it. The art teacher, Stephanie, is an experienced and educated teacher who considers the ages and learning skills of your child and she's suggest crafts to help them learn. My toddler learned to cut, glue, and tear. My infant learned to paint herself (and me) purple We were thrilled. The art center is also open to all and it seemed at anytime. They also had specific times of days for age groups for their level of art projects. We were respectful of the space and made sure to use only what we needed. What a gem. If there's one thing that would call us back, it'd be the art center and Stephanie!

Now onto the offered Hotel Services for Baby.

** The Baby Corner: Your food options are jarred foods of green beans, carrots, or beef, bananas, pears. Yes, that's right: only 5 options. (And since we're vegetarian, that's zero protein options). Imagine 15 meals with 4 options. To get baby food specially designed for your little one, you'll have to talk to about 20 people, 20 times a day to remind them that you'd like a puree for your babies. I was sick and tired of asking for the same thing every day, every meal - and still the order would come out wrong. We'd wait nearly 45 minutes (very hard to do with a hungry kid) and what would come out is a large bowl of clumpy whatever you ordered. I tried to explain that a puree should be the consistency of a smoothie or applesauce; something you can fit through a straw. No luck. I wanted to pre-order my babies foods, no luck there either because the restaurant opened at 12 and 6 (exactly the times my kids would be eating their meals). I found getting meals ready for my kids to be the most stressful. The staff really wants to help and they really try - but they have to get a better system together to communicate between the parents and the chefs behind the swinging doors making those meals. I talked to almost all the chefs, and ALL of them got it wrong. I was one of endless parents complaining about this part of the trip. Meals are so important and each child has such different needs that a company marketing and 'catering' to babies and toddlers HAS to get this right. If there's one reason why I wouldn't go back, getting food for my kids is it. (If I do go back, I’m packing more of my own baby food).

The baby corner has one blender so you can mix your own purees. Good luck finding that blender clean. I learned a few days into the trip to head straight to the blender to hand it off to the staff to clean. And it still smelled gross. They need someone to check that are more often, because I’d find my dinner puree sitting there in the morning. So I also learned to give them the dirty blender to clean for the next parent trying to get their kid a decent balanced meal. I have no idea why it always smelled funny. They need more blenders that can be thoroughly cleaned in a dishwasher after each use. A parent worried about allergies could never use the blender the way the system is now. Forget it.

The baby corner does have those disposable plastic bibs. The high chairs were spotless and were brand new. My kids do fine with teaspoons, so we were able to use adult sized spoons. They've got some yogurts and milks there too, in a mini fridge. That was nice.

** Baby Feeding Room: The baby feeding room is old; it was not renovated. But it's fine. Bring your own bottle brush though. Many of the staff has no idea where the bottle room is. It's in the day care center, just before the main entrance. You'll need a code to enter it; which any of the center staff should know.

** BABY RESTAURANT: There is no baby restaurant. And if there are specialist chefs, they are not catering well balanced meals to fit your children's needs. There is a kid restaurant where they service school lunch type things: burgers, fries, chicken fingers. They've got little kids plates and all - so that's cute. This area is kept SO clean, as opposed to the baby corner which was totally ignored.

** CLUB MED BABY Welcome: in your room: baby bed, baby bath, changing table, high chair (on request) bottle warmer, strollers.

Yep, this was all there once we opened the hotel room. The baby bed was shaky and looked like it could fall apart with one solid tantrum. One was wooden and had a chipped (dangerous) teething rail on it. The mattress and sheets were clean. We brought our own baby blankets, which was a good idea since the blankets they had were a bit too big for our kids who run on the smaller side. The other crib was a pack n play, which I refused to use because it was stained all over and nasty. The staff found me a metal crib which was probably from the 70s (along with the wooden one) this was had things sticking out all over the place and I’m guessing has been recalled 3-4 times. We did the best we could to make the cribs as safe as we could.

the changing table was really nice. the bottle warmer was great. the strollers we got were brand new, and excellent.

Oh - the baby bath tub! Bring something to clean that down, because they are old. I had dishwasher detergent and I scrubbed that thing totally clean. When I could, I bathed my kids without the tub. it was fine, but just crossed my "ick" threshold.

Other things: the playground and kiddie pool are awesome. We couldn’t use the pool because it was too cold when we visited. It is supposedly heated, but that wasn't enough for us to hop in.

There is a raggs show on Saturday night. REALLY fun. I wish they had this at least one other night. And before the raggs show, Mr Nicky sings. He's great - we loved his music and bought two of his CDs.

** Baby Gym: We didn't find the baby gym- unless it was offered by the center and we missed it. No biggie for us though, because we had plenty of things to do with the kids.

If you get the car service, be prepared to strap in the car seats yourself. Our driver said he's not allowed to install them my law. Fine by us - they had the wrong car seats for our sized children, even though we gave them the weights and ages ahead of time. We held onto our kids for the hour + drive. It was all right, until our driver started talking on the phone or trying to write things down while driving. I asked him immediately to focus on the road, which solved the problem. Don't expect help with the bags. This particular driver was not in shape to help with the bags (or much else) so we had to juggle the kids around while loading up the Escalade. The driver was also pretty large, so he had his chair so far back that we couldn’t really use the seat behind him. Kind of lame for a luxury service.

A few other notes:
* the pools don't feel heated
* the gym was ready
* sailing was awesome
* there's no food available if the restaurant is closed. It's open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And not in between.
* the teen room looked fun, the teens looked happy.
* the bar was fun; and I loved the DJs music selection
* the front staff barely knows much beyond how to check people in.
* Giovanna seems to know everything. Find her; she'll help you out.
* There aren't many programs in the afternoon.
* the chocolate bread is heaven. they sell it to bring home with you.
* tennis lessons are super fun
* the renovated rooms are just a JOKE. They've replaced the furniture - which is now very nice. the bath fixtures were changed, and very poorly done. They look like misfits in the room, because they literally don't fit. And I didn't like seeing all the rust stains.
* the toilet water smelled funny and was always a little yellow.

I wrote so much because I would have liked to have these expectations going into the trip. I could have planned better and would have been able to avoid the frustrating times at every meal and snack.

Feel free to contact me if you want any more details around planning for a trip with baby to this resort.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
13 Thank veggie_tourist
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Club Med is a wonderful resort for families, set on a bay, small to no waves, everything you can imagime for the little ones , i think better for infants to 13 years, tennis, golf, kids pool, day care, baby sitting ..they supply ALL the baby furniture that you will need, at no charge ...VERY low key, they have 1 buffet restaurant and what they call sitdown ..however the menu is limited and does not change day to day.
recommend for families and tennis players ... most that played golf said great courts andthe golf course needs some TLC

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank degabriele
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this review, 15 March 2011
Dear degabriele,
Thank you for your thoughtful review of Club Med Sandpiper Bay. We appreciate the feedback and have taken note of your comments. We hope you'll come back and visit us again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Club Med Sandpiper Bay was nice, but not what its marketing department led us to believe. The upgraded "two bedroom" room was not, in fact, two separate bedrooms with a separate living room. Kudos to the marketer that wrote that description, but it was rather hard to get four children five years old and younger to sleep at night in those accomodations. Further, the $25M renovation has some glitches. The rooms are the original, just renovated (which, in my opinion, never works). There were electrical issues in the room ("master" switches, no GFIs in bathrooms), exterior sliding doors that didn't lock, etc. Finally...$5 / hour or $50 / week for internet connection? Seriously? All in all, not a great experience.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Reviewed 10 March 2011

The food/dining area was excellent in every respect., and the location is really lovely on the river.
Check in was slow and very inefficient; golf clinic was a poor - 1 pro for about 12 people; TV's very small in "pre-renovated" rooms and floors were very hard. Senior staff were all excellent, but junior staff (bus boys, maintenance people) had absolutely no knowledge of what was going on there (renovations, etc.). A missed opportunity there.
There were no guidelines as to tipping - if or when. Maps were very poor and signage almost non-existant for a very large place. Elevator in D block was terrifyingly shaky.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank dibby1242
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this review, 16 March 2011
Dear dibby1242

We apologize for any inconvenience you encountered during your stay with us particularly with your room. Our guests' enjoyment with their stay is our utmost concern, and know this must have been frustrating, especially for a family with four small children. We truly hope that this experience will not deter you from returning to vacation with us again, and we hope to see you and your family again soon at Club Med Sandpiper Bay.
Wellington, Florida
Reviewed 8 March 2011

Just returned from a weekend at the USA's only all inclusive resort---Sandpiper Bay Club Med.
Sandpiper is located in Port St Lucie, Fla. It is an hour drive from West Palm Beach Airport.
Some of the rooms are refurbished and others are not. Try to get a refurbished one. The rooms are very large, plenty of room to hang clothes, plenty of hot water.

The best part of the resort is the activities for young people. There is a Circus program for children where they learn how to swing on a trapeze and do other circus activities--all supervised and safe. There are children's programs for children from 4 months and up----so that parents can enjoy themselves and know their little ones are cared for and also having fun. There are lots of sports activities--even shorter tennis nets for those who need them.

As for pools----there is a lap pool, adult only infinity pool, family pool, and kids only pool with a small waterpark.

There is a youth lounge which is open until 11pm which has activities such as table hockey, plasma TV, wii, and other teen activities----all supervised.

There is an adult lounge which is swinging all day/night long with a DJ.

There are only 2 restaurants----one ala carte and one buffet. The buffet does have various sections----adults only, families, and one for families with very young children--with lots of highchairs and low tables and an ice cream machine. The buffet has a zillion choices and the food was very good.

The beach is tiny...but I heard that there is a public beach about 20 minutes away.

There is a gym and a theater. There are 2 shows nightly--one for children and one for adults.

A tennis and golf clinic is offered free but there is a fee for playing golf. The golf course was nice--not that challenging.

If you would like to ask any questions---I'll be happy to answer.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this review, 14 March 2011
Dear quandatorres,
We really appreciate your thoughtful and helpful review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay at Club Med Sandpiper Bay. We hope you'll come back and visit us again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Saint Lucie
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port St. Lucie-Tradition
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port...
#1 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village / Port St. Lucie
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village...
#2 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Best Western Port St. Lucie
Best Western Port St. Lucie
#7 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port St. Lucie West
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#8 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie

Been to Club Med Sandpiper Bay? Share your experiences!