“Great family vacation”

Club Med Sandpiper Bay
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Port Saint Lucie
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Overall, we had a really nice stay at the Sandpiper resort. For a vacation with a one-year old it was very relaxing so I think that says the most. It’s a great family resort. We were one of many first timers there, but we also met a number of families who were on the sixth, seventh or eighth visit to the resort.

It is very child friendly. With an infant, it was incredible to go into your room and see a crib, changing pad, baby tub and a stroller waiting for you. In the restaurant there were plenty of food choices, as well as a baby corner with about 5 flavors of Gerber food, microwave and a blender (in case you wanted to make your own food). There were also plenty of high chairs in the restaurant. We also used the Baby Club Med and it was great. It’s a big playroom with a separate room that has travel cribs for naps. All the women who worked there were very nice and attentive to our daughter. They didn’t only stay in the playroom either – they walked around the resort, took her to the art area to play with play dough, went in the kiddie pool and went to the restaurant for meal time. She cried when we dropped her off but they just whisked her away to the toys and she settled down in a few minutes. The Pajama Club at night was similar with great babysitters who were so helpful, happy and genuinely seemed to love kids.

The renovated room was nice and definitely plenty big. We were on the ground floor, but unfortunately looked out on the entry to the resort. Not quite as promised by the reservation agent when we booked who said we’d have a river view.
Food was good. There are only two restaurants – one buffet and one sit down. The sit down restaurant has limited choices that don’t change, but they are very similar to what’s in the buffet restaurant. Plus, plenty of people were just using the seating there but getting food at the buffet so seemed like an extension of the buffet anyway. The buffet was good and had a ton of choices for food. I really liked it for breakfast and lunch, but felt like it would have been nicer to have a good sit down restaurant for dinner. Plus, the service there was terrible. The staff looked so depressed and if they came over to clean a table they’d take the plates, but leave the glasses. It was really haphazard and incomplete. The coffee situation in the morning is really bad. There are 2 machines that make a cup at a time and the line was long. I don’t understand why they didn’t have carafes of coffee for the tables since most drink it. There is no food after 9pm and no place to get snacks or a late night bite.

All the pools are very nice, but the seats go quickly. You need to get up and put your towel on a chair early or you won’t get one. Also, getting an umbrella is tough. There aren’t nearly enough which seems like a miss for a place that has so many babies.
The bar is fine, but again, there is only place to get drinks on the entire resort. So, if you’re at the adult pool it’s a hike over there to get a beer. I just don’t understand why they don’t have another.

There is a fitness center and spa which we used and were fine. Neither is in their renovated home. From what some of the GOs said, I’m not sure when or if the second part of the renovation is happening. One told us that she didn’t think they had the money to finish it. Would be a shame since what they’ve started is nice and if they don’t finish it, it will really seem strange. The renderings on the website are a little misleading this way.

There was little information about what to do in the area. We did go to a Mets game one day which was great and ventured out to a restaurant in the area one night. Oddly, when we asked any of the GOs for recommendations, they had none. Seriously, they didn’t have any suggestions or know where to direct us. It’s a great resort, but don’t people ever want to leave or see what’s around??

This is a great resort. There’s much room for improvement, but we had a great family vacation and look forward to coming back again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2011

Dear kbrown0804,
We're so happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us at Club Med Sandpiper Bay! We apologize about the confusion with the restaurant and buffet; your feedback is really appreciated. We truly look forward to you and your family coming back to visit us again soon!
Your Club Med Team

Write a ReviewReviews (4,410)

Reviewed 28 March 2011

How anyone can rate this more than 2 stars is beyond me. To say this club is mismanaged is giving them the benefit of saying it's managed at all. There was not one manager/supervisor in any part of the club, from the front desk to the restaurants to the pool to the activities and it showed in so many ways. We waited over 2 hours for our rooms to be ready and there was barely a skeleton crew at the front desk and guest services to help us. At most meals the service was abysmal with wait staff that just didn't care and CLEARLY had no training and nobody watching over them. I was here with my 2 boys to play golf and the golf course was so poorly taken care of that it was sad to see. The rooms were typical club med, but were extremely poor relative to most new all-inclusive. And to top it all off, they closed the small health club they had during our stay, to accommodate an incoming groups need for the room. (How can you do that to your guests that are staying there, BECAUSE THERE'S NO MANAGEMENT) Overall a really bad experience and this review would have been a lot worse except for the fact that the pool area and some of the grounds were very nice.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank gregghamer
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2011

Dear gregghamer,

We are very sorry for your negative experience at our resort. We work hard to accommodate all of out guests, and we apologize if our management and the conditions of our golf course and health club fell short of your expectations. We truly value you taking the time to provide us with your feedback, and we will work toward making improvements. We hope that this experience won't deter you from future visits with Club Med.

Reviewed 27 March 2011

I just checked into the Club Med Sandpiper and I must say that I am very underwhelemd. This is my 5th visit to a Club Med resort and I must say by far this resort does not live up to what I have always experienced with the other resorts. I have been to the Club Med in Cancun twice and loved it; if given the choice I would go again and again. Punt a Cana was magnificent and Ixtapa was amazing.
Upon check in, I was given keys to my room just to find out upon arriving to the room that a guest was still occupying the room. Now I made all of my transportation arrangements with the club, so I wonder: why give a late a checkout to a guest when you have an early guest coming in?
While waiting in rerception I became aware that at least one other guest had the same experience. This leads me to believe that although the club was revamped, the management may need some real revamping. Such chaos is indicative of poor management and the need to get some training on basic day to day activities.
My compensation for my trouble was one hour of internet, which I am using to write this review.
Don't ger me wrong I really like Club Med and have been very satisfied with the other clubs.
My advice is to wait until this one gets their act together.

2  Thank unhappyconcetta

Dear unhappyconcetta,

We are terribly sorry for this unfortunate room mix-up! We try very hard to please our guests and we obviously fell short and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience! Since you have loved our other Club Med resorts, we hope you understand that this was a one time glitch and we will work toward making sure that this mistake will not happen again. We hope you enjoy the remainder of your stay and that this mix-up will not deter you from future vacations with Club Med.

Reviewed 24 March 2011

The customer service was excellent, the attention that the staff provides for the guests is amazing. Theres plenty of activities to do all day long as well as all night. Theres is always something new to esperience each day and each night. The food is excellent every meal is edelicous and exotic, plenty to eat and enjoy with family, lover, and friends. The staff is extremely friendly and very energitic and family oriented. You will love the "Go Team" !!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2011

Dear LORALIE1212,
Wow! We can't thank you enough for your high praise of Club Med Sandpiper Bay! It's great that you participated in our activities and enjoyed yourself so much. We hope you'll come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed 22 March 2011

My husband and 2 children (2 and 4 years old) like to vacation at least once a year. Traveling with small children is always difficult so we wanted an all inclusive with a direct flight thinking it would make things easier. Options are definitely limited in the US, but this seemed like a nice enough place. Currently, there are only 2 buildings that are completely renovated, the building we stayed in being one of them - Building A. We probably had one of the best views from our room, which faced the bay. I think Building E is the other renovated building, which is the one closest to the adult pool, which has a hot tub there too. I would splurge for the fully renovated room as opposed to the pre-renovated (whatever that even means!). There are 2 things most important to me on vacation and that is cleanliness and food. The place was no doubt clean and the food was also very good. The staff were also very nice. Perhaps a little unseasoned, but very nice. So I did enjoy my vacation overall.

There are a few faults that I found with Sandpiper and they are as follows:
~ There isn't much to do. Great place for parents who want to put their children in the mini club for the day and play golf, play tennis, or hang out by the pool, but unless you get a rental car, there is nothing else to do. I guess you could go to the spa, work out, or go sailing.
~ Not that we visited it much (once as a matter of fact), but there needs to be a bar over by the adult pool. It is a far walk to the 1 bar on the entire property!
~ The closest beach is Jensen Beach on Hutchinson Island. We went there 3 out of 7 days of our vacation and ended up eating lunch out on those days.
~ Wished there was food available throughout the day. In the buffet area, breakfast is from 7am-10am. Lunch 12-2pm. Dinner starts at 6pm. There is a restaurant there, but I do not know their hours. I do know that it is a very limited menu and it doesn't change.,
~ I would have liked some info in the rooms about things to do locally.
~ There are jelly fish in the bay. I wish something was said about swimming/wading in that water, as my daughter was stung by something. ER, yes, we took her to the ER per the recommendation of 2 professionals, said Sea Lice or Jellyfish. Was given steroids and anti-itch cream and she was fine that same evening.
~ Free WIFI would have been nice
~ No shop on-site for toiletries or souveniers

So that was my experience at Sandpiper Bay. I have not visited any Club Med's before so not sure what this one is like in comparison. As far as being the only all-inclusive in the US, it has some shortcomings that have the potential to be corrected. Good Luck Club Med Sandpiper Bay and thanks for the memories!

1  Thank LovesTheSun1976

Dear LovesTheSun1976,

We're really glad to hear that you had an overall great vacation at Club Med Sandpiper Bay; however, we apologize for the frustration you experienced in not having enough activities to do during your stay. We try and give our guests the highest quality vacation possible and apologize that we fell short of your expectations. We hope that this experience won't deter you from future vacations with us, and we hope to see you and your family back again soon.

Reviewed 22 March 2011

Husband, wife and 5 yo daughter just returned from 8 nights and already planning our next (2nd) visit. CM SB is a family vacation buffet with an incredible array of activities and food. Best parts were the weather (78 f and sunny every day) and the people. Many families we met were regulars - a good sign that this collection of resources is unmatched. Also, the mini club staff working with the gecko group (Shana, Jessica, Ray) made being with them a great time for the 5yo. The circus team gets a shout out for channeling our fearless child into the world of trapeze, it absolutely was the thing she leapt out of bed for. (Who knew?). Additional kudos to Sports GO Ruthie for all the helpful info. Finally, CM SB is nothing without its Chef du Village, Lionel. More accessible and interested in his guests welfare than any other resort manager i have ever met (and I was one for 11 years!). When our daughter got a 24 hr stomach bug (happens at a place with 800 people) he wrote a personal get well note to her. Housekeeping deserves a special nod here too (day shift and night shift!).

The trade-off for the all the choice IMO is that there won't be much that feels absolutely first class. The rooms are not the Four Seasons, the food is varied and plentiful but rarely breathtaking, the golf, tennis and "Discovery Center" are run by independent contractors who aren't completely in sync with the CM information sometimes. For a little while the hotel/rest. will have some things to work through on the staffing side since it is basically all new staff since the reopening. I guess that is why Front Desk has mixed results? But again, if you take a minute to smell the sunshine a lot of the issues disappear.

Tips: Bring a travel coffee mug if you like portable java, bring band-aids etc if your kid is active - no sundry shop or first aid closet that we saw - 5 mile walk/run/cab to Walgreens. Maybe CM should consider a daily shuttle? Ask lots of questions early of the GO staff as the property maps / info is short on details. CM SB should be creating a FAQ list to help them prepare more useful info for the first time visitor. When we go back we'll be quicker to identify the people who can help and the chefs who will spice up the food if you are willing to wait (thx Chef Stir-Fry!). We'll be back Lionel and thanks again for a trip to remember.

Dear jgknight83,
We're so glad to hear that you and your family had a wonderful vacation with us at Club Med Sandpiper Bay! Thanks for the tips you suggested; they are very helpful ti other TripAdvisor members. We can't wait to have you back for your second vacation with us again soon!

Reviewed 21 March 2011

My husband and I have been happily spending our vacations with Club Med for the past 9 years, (since our daughter was 3) and we have enjoyed Punta Cana, Ixtapa, and Cancun. We booked too late this year and our only practical option was to go to Sandpiper. While the sun and warm weather provided a welcome break to an endless northeast winter, we will not be returning to Sandpiper.
If you have a large family, this is an ideal spot and you will feel quite welcome here. There is a lot to do on-site to keep everyone happy (which is why we continue to visit Club Med). The GOs are fantastic, young, enthusiastic. The site itself is lovely. The fitness classes are great. Although we stayed in a room that was not yet renovated, the accommodation was fine enough. Nothing posh, but we don't go there for the rooms.
The downside to our family is that the flair of Club Med is subverted in the suburban environment. There is a total lack of cohesion on-site, perhaps due to the multiple pools. It just seemed to lack that exuberance that the GO's bring to Club Med. Excursions, particularly when compared to what is offered elsewhere, are really disappointing. The food, while still well prepared, is a bit too "American Buffet" when compared to other Clubs. The European influence is not quite there. Here we are in sunny FL and the fruit being offered is exactly like you would find at any salad bar or buffet in the US. Red Delicious apples? I'll pass.
The GO's, while wonderful in their own right, are clearly overworked at this point in the game. I had to wait 15 minutes at reception to have simple question answered because there were only 2 people staffing the desk. It was chaotic. Our baggage pick up at departure was botched. The information/communication piece seemed to be absent, particularly in comparison to other Clubs.
Finally, to cap off an unremarkable week, our check out was at noon on a very hot day. However, we were not set to depart until 4 PM and wanted to fill our day with the typical activities. At other Clubs and resorts, there is either a hospitality suite available or some type of locker/shower area for guests to use under these circumstances. We were told that we could shower and change before our departure at a designated location. The location turned out to be an open, public shower. There were neither towels nor amenities. Fortunately, I discovered that before I went to the gym to get in one final workout. My daughter changed inside a wet shower stall, while I blocked the door. I discussed this matter with the Chef du Village, Lionel, and he acknowledged that this was indeed very poor planning. Regardless, we are a family of three. I cannot imagine what it would be like for a larger group to discover that they cannot bathe and change before flying.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2011

Dear PoundRidgeMary,

We sincerely apologize that Club Med Sandpiper Bay did not live up to the expectations you had from your previous experiences at our other resorts. We also are very sorry that better amenities were not provided for you on the day of your departure. We sincerely hope that this won't deter you from future Club Med vacations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Saint Lucie
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port St. Lucie-Tradition
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port...
#1 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
#5 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Vistana Beach Club
Vistana Beach Club
#1 of 1 in Hutchinson Island

Been to Club Med Sandpiper Bay? Share your experiences!