“Great vacation spot for families with small, active children”

Club Med Sandpiper Bay
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Port Saint Lucie
New York
“Great vacation spot for families with small, active children”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

My husband and I had not taken a vacation since before our son was born and were apprehensive about taking him somewhere that would require us to eat all our meals in restaurants. We did not want to rent a condo, as I wanted a break from cooking and cleaning. Since I am pregnant, we did not want to travel outside the US. After doing some research, this resort was consistently mentioned as a great place for families with small children. It was the best decision we could have made. This place is the ideal set-up for families with active toddlers. All the meals were buffet style, which meant no waiting for food and we could select from a wide a variety of things for our picky eater to try. Plenty of high chairs are readily available, and you don't have to worry that you are going to be the only ones with a kid throwing peas on the floor. There is a separate room for adults over 18 who want to get away from the kids, which we took advantage of on the evenings we put our son in their wonderful evening daycare program (which he loved). The food was all very good, and we definitely felt it was a good value for the money.

Our room was in Building A, and had a curtained room for our son with a bunk bed in it. At my request, a bed rail was installed on the bed. A stroller was provided as well, though we only used it once. In terms of cleanliness, I did not have complaints, except that the cleaning staff seemed a bit stingy with the toilet paper. We had to request more several times from the reception desk or flag down housekeeping staff to ask for it.

We were all able to have a fun, relaxing vacation week and would definitely plan to return in the future. The staff members are all friendly and helpful, and wonderful with kids. The only major issue I had was with the amount of smoking we encountered in highly trafficked areas. The "Slice Bar" was a popular place for people to sit outside and smoke, and we had to pass by this area several times a day. It would have been preferable if there had been a designated outdoor smoking area that was not so centrally located.

Another annoyance was the fact that the beach was still closed, as we had been told after we made the reservation that they expected it to be open by the time we arrived. We opted to rent a car for our stay so we could take our son to Jensen Beach which was not as convenient or comfortable as if we had been able to take advantage of their on-site beach. They do not have any beach chairs or umbrellas to lend you if you want to go to the beach, but they let you take some pool towels with you.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank em-reader

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (744)
  • Hebrew first
Boynton Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

We spent last weekend, nov. 1-3 at the hotel. It was our first time and will be our last. It had undergone a renovation, but you wouldn't know it. We were in bldg. E. When we first walked in we saw a nice room, but after looking it over, it was nothing but a room of filth and mold. The white curtains were full of black dirt. Probably never had been taken off and washed. Floors were dirty. When we went to take a shower the faucets came out of the wall and flooded the bathroom. We soaked up the water with our towels. Maintenance came up and fixed it. Towels weren't replaced till I had to call back at 11pm at night. There was thick black mold around the base of the toilet. We reported it to the desk. They told me to write a letter to the general manager. To date no one has responded to me. Judy

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank JUDYK115
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

We have just returned from 8 days at Sandpiper. This was our second trip there and funds permitting we go back again next year. The food is mainly buffet style and there is a wide choice. Make sure that room is left for dessert and cookies served by Samantha (who has the widest smile I have ever seen) The rooms are large and comfortable and there is a huge choice of sports. The buildings need a fortune spent on them but the grounds are immaculate and the swimming pools are spotlessly clean.

The best thing about Club Med is that you can do as much or little you want. You have to accept that there are lots of small children at the resort but in the main they are looked after in the various clubs that exist.

If you accept that this is not 5 star luxury resort and that this is not a couples only resort then you will have a good time

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank renmoor
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

We had been to this Club Med in June and were so pleased with the activities and especially with the kids' club that we returned last week. Again, the kids club was great- they keep the kids active, not warehoused and playing video games like some resorts. My son was shy for the first 30 seconds until another boy approached and spoke to him and then he make at least 4 new "best friends" during the week. the GO's are caring and creative. My son especially loved Eric and Sid, but he is biased towards males at his age (6).
My husband and I took the group tennis lessons which were very good. The beginner instructor sometimes went off on tangents about his life, and I (and others in the group) would have preferred more instruction or practice time, but he was clearly very skilled. My husband took individual lessons with Laurent and found it very valuable. One lesson with Gino was also a great way to reinforce the basics I needed.
The entertainment staff and athletics people were also great - especially Andre who did Aqua Gym, Regina who did the afternoon yoga and Jake and the others who did the pool sports. I haven't ever played Water Polo before but they made everyone feel welcome. I had hoped to try paddle boarding but swimming and water sports were not permitted due to some kind of pollution being washed downstream by heavy rains -I don't think I want to know what it was- but there was lots else to do.

The rooms are basic but have everything needed and the food is great. The international buffet always had good options and even my fussy child found new things to eat. The biggest problem was not eating the white chocolate bread at every meal.

On both trips we have been disappointed with reception. Both times our room was not ready, which was fine, since it is not guaranteed until 3. But _both times_ they neglected to let us know when it was ready - this time we finally checked at 3:50 and were told it had been ready. A detail perhaps, but when one is tired and wants to change and unpack, it gets things started on the wrong foot.
Both times when trying to check in and print boarding passes before leaving the process was excruciating and, this time, unsuccessful. I think the computers are too old and slow, or have too many security settings (queries about whether or not to continue to a website popped up every 2nd or 3rd screen) and the boarding passes couldn't be printed this time. Last time a front desk person was kind and tried to be helpful - and was when the access code to even get on the computer didn't work the first 3 times - this time I mostly felt brushed off and finally gave up. Again, maybe a detail, but isn't hospitality about the details? I left the office stressed and worried, with my week's relaxation crumbling away before I even left the resort. It's a shame since the other activities and staff are great. We may go back but I do admit that these small irritants make me reconsider rather than making it a foregone conclusion.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank agordpj
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

What a neat place, everything in one place. Food was good, people were nice, nice sleeping area, fun time at night with the shows and entertainment. Night time fun and drinks. Once we got the hang of it we did not want to leave. Will be back soon

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CKMTx
new haven, CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

A good little place for a quick getaway, it is not at all a high end resort. But it has a great staff and comfortable rooms. The food mostly is only buffet, but for a sit down area were you can get sandwiches. We have been to many different all inclusive resorts this would have to compare to maybe an Iberostar or Palace type resort. They Have a Great Gym and Great pools. This would be a great place for young familys and anybody looking to just chill out. We don't know about any water sports because when we got there we found out it was all shut down because the river was contaminated, the one thing my wife and really enjoy doing.

Room Tip: for adults building D would be the one it where the adult pool is.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 57robertg
The Colony, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

What a great bunch of people!! Very helpful, very accommodating!! We did our annual company training at the resort. When I began coordinating travel (the location had been selected prior to my taking over) I thought this would not have been a place that I would have picked for my group...BOY WAS I WRONG!!!! It was nearly PERFECT!!!
The staff participated and mingled with our group. They fit right in with us!!
The rooms were good (even though I spent very little time in there). The food was delicious, a nice variety! From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, everyone was great!
The Shows were FANTASTIC!!! These folks work so hard to entertain the guests and it shows!
David - the Village Manager has the BEST attitude EVER!! If I could name everyone I would, but for now a shout out to a few of MY FAVES... Irais (she was so helpful while I planned and coordinated the trip), Saf (made sure our private room was ready for all meals that I scheduled), Jake & Arty (not only came to help us with our volleyball tournament, but actually played!!) Jake was on my team, we WON!! Sorry, Arty! LOL. Aqua Gym with Andre was HILARIOUS (mostly because we don't like following directions)! WATER POLO!!! OMG!!! That was the best game of water polo EVER!! We had an epic battle that included my group and plenty of staff! Lola and (I can't remember but I want to say) Kristie were out there taking major hits from my guys launching the ball!! Good times! And oh dear... the flying trapeze!! THANK YOU SO MUCH to CHRIS & BEN for being patient and so helpful (not to mention beautiful LOL)!! The Slice bar...wow...DJ Shellshock did a great job!!! My girl Peggy (THE bartender) was great!! Shout out to Angie and Shane also, thanks for keeping our cups full! Marjon, Jeremy, Hunter (such a sweetie!), & Mark thanks for your awesome customer service!
You ALL keep up the great work!! I'll definitely be back!!!
If I had a complaint it would be that there is no place for adults to go after Slice closes at 1, because they want to keep the noise down in the rooms.
Thanks Again!
Annie ;-)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Antanycia G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Saint Lucie
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port St. Lucie-Tradition
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port...
#1 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village / Port St. Lucie
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village...
#2 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
BEST WESTERN Port St. Lucie
BEST WESTERN Port St. Lucie
#6 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port St. Lucie West
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#8 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie

Been to Club Med Sandpiper Bay? Share your experiences!