“Wonderful staff made our vacation”

Club Med Sandpiper Bay
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Port Saint Lucie
Needham, Massachusetts
“Wonderful staff made our vacation”
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

We returned a few days ago from an extended weekend stay at Club Med Sandpiper Bay. It was our second visit this year and I imagine we will go back again soon.
First off, I must commend the amazing circus staff. Billy runs a fantastic program that had my kids enthused about the circus arts the entire time we were there. They were involved in the kids' circus show and chose to rehearse over going to the pool or participating in any of the other activities. Brian is nothing short of amazing! He taught me new tricks on the trapeze, pushed my kids to do crazy circus acts, and even got my 4-year-old to swing on the trapeze. Hannah is a rock star. She worked so hard to keep everyone safe. Ben performed with my daughter and is insanely strong and talented. Jacob, Kimmie, Ellison, Osmann, Christian (I know I'm forgetting someone and I apologize): my kids and I will never forget how you all went above and beyond to make our vacation so memorable! My kids can't stop talking about their experience. I can honestly say it was life-changing!
The food at the resort is excellent! We all ate so well that if we had been there any longer, we would have rolled home. Even the kids found good, healthy choices for every meal. Be sure to try the chocolate bread. It is delicious!
Now, onto the less than perfect part of the resort: the rooms. I know they were recently renovated but Club Med should fire their contractor! The bathtub was chipped, our sink leaked, the shower was moldy and the pressure felt like a rain of bullets, the bed was hard with a torn mattress pad, and the screen door was ripped and wouldn't slide. It's a shame because, if the weather hadn't been so beautiful and we had been stuck in the room, our vacation would have been so much worse. I think Club Med needs to consider another renovation!
In all, it was a fantastic escape from our day-to-day lives. I cannot say enough about the staff. They are the reason we will most certainly go back. I would see them at breakfast at 7 AM and they would still be working late into the night. Thank you all for creating such an amazing experience!

Stayed November 2013
2 Thank MassTA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
  • Hebrew first
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I found there to be nothing outstanding about this resort. Nothing was terrible, but nothing was great. The food was good. We ate at both restaurants. Our first meal was at Soleil for lunch I ordered a Salad and a Sandwich and my salad never arrived. So, our first impression was not great. Meals at The Marketplace were good. Not outstanding, but good. The Adults only dining room was lovely, and getting a whole bottle of wine was nice - though the red wine was COLD since it was in a refrigerator. We went to the fitness center and one of the two treadmills was out of service. We went to the adults only pool and that was nice. The weather wasn't great, but we still managed to sit by the pool. Our room was again, just fine. OH - the smell in Slice Bar was terrible. I could not even be in there for any more time than it took to order a drink. All in all, I really cannot see myself returning to this resort with my family or for a "girls only" weekend.

1 Thank JMF779
florida
Reviewed 24 November 2013

8 of us just returned from a long weekend at sandpiper bay. i have very mixed feelings about this resort. i can't say it was good but i can't say it was bad!!!!!!!!!! 1st of all, the staff - all young adults, that love to party are very friendly & helpful. it was enlightening to meet young adults from all over our world, that are so proud of their club med roots. none of our group was into golf or tennis so i can't comment on that. seemed like many people at this "resort" were there to golf, play tennis, soccer or trapeze fun. lots of families……and if i had a young family it probably would have been the place for me. the property consists of bldg.'s a, b, c, d & e, with 1 main bar/entertainment area and 1 main eating area. before i checked in, i read several reviews and wasn't sure what building had newer amenities……it certainly wasn't bldg "e". omg…..clean but so dated - the bedding was great and the maids kept everything as perfect as they could, but the drapes need cleaning, the upholstery needs clean! the pools are new and very nice. we only hung out at the adult pool, where towels,cabanas, lounge chairs, hot tub and views were great. the walk up bar next to the adult pool is almost a joke. the wine/liquor served is very inexpensive……..thank goodness we brought our own! they don't offer anything but cheap white chilean chardonnay, with it's matching cheap red…….if the bar is out of something, no one calls to get more…..they just tell you they don't have it!!!!!!! there are 2 places to get food (as of 2 nights ago, now 3 places). the new steakhouse requires reservations and because of it's newness it would be unfair to rate. the main buffet/dining area is very well planned and there is always a wide variety of things to eat. all 8 of us thought the food was great for a buffet. breakfast is always a buffet with egg station and wonderful pastries. later in the afternoon, there is an outdoor area where you can get sandwiches/soups, etc., but the menu is limited and don't be surprised if raccoons come out of the scrubs! most people found the raccoons to be cute but i didn't. i guess the raccoons convinced me that management needs to step up their game and take their party hats off. soon, the cute little raccoon that is jumping on tables, is going to be taking someones nose off and bye-bye club med!!!!!!! neikos is the restaurant manager, does an outstanding job of trying to make everyone happy. he is always present and makes sure everyone has what they want. kids call have a ball eating mac & cheese, ice cream cones or whatever, with plenty of high chairs and running around. there is a private dining area for adults only. the shows/entertainment are lame but again…..they have a great trapeze school and sometimes feature all the little ones in their show. the "very small" beach area offers some activities, but i wouldn't put my foot in the water…….beautiful river to view, but high levels of bacteria. tom at the l'occitane spa is fabulous and i got one of the best massages ever, but i thought the spa prices were a bit too high for the type of resort/amenities they offer. it's florida, where there is always a deal to be found on massages or facials. overall, i'm glad i went and i'm very glad to be home drinking a good bottle of wine! it's almost like being on a small carnival cruise ship on land!!!!! have fun.

Room Tip: bldg "a" is close to most things and rated for handicap. some of the rooms in "e&quo...
1 Thank piperwings
Georgia
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I have some issues with this property, but first the positives. I travel often and the food was excellent, many healthy choices, desserts top notch and the coffee machines in the main restaurant were awesome. The young employees were very vivacious and friendly and sociable, loved Lola the Zumba instructor. There is a lot for families with children to do here.
The buildings and the rooms are dated. There is absolutely no appeal. The rooms were clean, but we had a problem with ants, on the 3rd floor, and the front desk employee brushed it off like it was our fault and "Did we take food to the room"? Well, no we didn't.
I had arrived as part of a large group, and I extended my stay by one night. Well, for that last night, they made me move rooms even though they were only going to have 70 people staying on the property. They did not give my room to someone else. I talked with 3 employees to try and stay in the same room, and had to move anyway. This was very inconvenient, and I feel that I paid a premium price for the extended night. If I could go back in time, I would not have extended my stay. The only way I would go back to this property in the future is if the large group I was with choose to go back there.

Room Tip: Lakefront, Building D
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chandracap
Hewlett, New York
Reviewed 21 November 2013

6 women traveled to this resort for a girls weekend away. We were less than impressed. The rooms, while large and clean were dated. The matress was extremely comfortable. The service was very spotty. There were some very helpful and friendly servers and entertainers but they were few and far between. More than once we got an eye roll upon request from a server. The adult only pool was very nice however more than once there were babies and toddlers in the pool area/hot tub. Of the 3 days were were poolside there was only poolside service one of the days. There also needs to be a small cafe near the adult pool for people who don't want to walk all the way to the buffet but would rather have a salad or small lunch by the pool. The food was very good and I'd say that the best service we received came from the greeters in the buffet. The front desk workers, and managers, are incompetent. We had a major issue with ants in one of the rooms and we were ignored, passed over, and lied to. Finally on the last morning of the trip a one of the managers was able to assist my friend with regard to the situation. The lagoon was closed for swimming and all water sports due to contamination which I understand from friends, is a very common occurance. Also, there are raccoons that come right to the pool area and dinner tables in search of food. Thank goodness this was a short trip and not a planned for week long trip with my kids. We never would have made it for a week! As the only all-inclusive in the US, I'm very surprised that Club Med has not made more of an effort staffing and upgrading this property. I think the water contamination issue really ruins the place as a location. Friends of mine who went 5 years ago had the same problem, so clearly this is ongoing. You can only spend so much time sitting by a pool with kids for a week. I would definintely not return.

Room Tip: If you are in a group of adults only, stay in the building near the adult pool.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank wykelbri
ClubMedUK_official, Public Relations Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
First and foremost I would like to thank you for your time spent putting your comments on Trip Advisor as it is only with constructive criticisms that we can improve the standards and quality of service offered by Club Med.

I was sorry to hear of your disappointment with regards to certain aspects of your holiday at Club Med Phuket this November.

I was sorry to read that you found the accommodation to be dated and in need of a refurbishment. Whilst we are very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused to you, as the resort is in full operation throughout the season and in is constantly at full occupancy levels, regrettably, this makes it difficult for the resort staff to carry out full refurbishment works around guest rooms and resort facilities when guests are in resort, as this will cause disturbance to our guests and their holiday. Nevertheless I have passed these comments over to the relevant departments at the above resort for their perusal.

I was also sorry to note that you found a lot of the staff to be unhelpful and unfriendly. Please rest assured that Club Med does certainly not condone such behaviour from members of staff and that this kind of attitude is just the antithesis of what Club Med staff should personify i.e. kindness, generosity and sense of service. As for your comments regarding the front of desk workers and managers I am very sorry to note that you found them to be “incompetent” and that they lied to you and did not help with the issue regarding the ants. Rest assured that I have passed these comments over to the relevant departments to ensure that this does not occur again and appropriate measures can be taken in order to prevent this situation from reoccurring.

I understand that you were inconvenienced by the presence of raccoons in the resort, especially near the pool and dinner tables, and, on behalf of Club Med, I would like to offer you my sincere apologies for this occurrence. I am informed that our staff on site do endeavor to limit the inconvenience caused to our guests by removing raccoons from the resort ground on a regular basis. It proves, however, very difficult to monitor this nuisance at all times.

On a more positive note I was very pleased to read that you found the food to be of a good quality and that you found the service provided by the staff in the restaurant to be of a good service.

Please do get in contact with us via our Customer Relations Office (UK) using our e-mail address customer.uk@clubmed.com if you require any further assistance or would like to make an official complaint with us.

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times,

Club Med Customer Relations UK
Dagsboro, Delaware
Reviewed 19 November 2013

OK, I was part of a really large group that rented out the whole place for a week. Positives first. The rooms were clean and spaceous (we had a deluxe). Views were great. Food, although the dishes repeated themselves a lot, was very good. Adult beverages were always available and refreshing. Three pools to choose from. All the employees were so friendly and really eager to make this a great experience for us. Our group was all about music and having fun. They made sure that this happened. The bar (Slice) was great! We had an 80's dance party there one night and the bartenders kept up with all the orders and the music rocked!! Even had effects like bubbles and an air cannon and water spraying. It was fun! The club itself was not far away from anything; other attractions, stores, etc. I can certainly see where this is a good place for a family vacation as well. Lots for the kids to do. Even the adults could take advantage of water sports, tennis, golf, and trapeze.

Now negatives. Not too many. Definitely needed a sit down and be served style restaurant that wasn't just sandwiches. You have two choices for food. Marketplace (buffet) or Soleil (sit down but sandwiches and salads mostly). No place to really dress up and be served. However, there has been a restaurant like this built. We just missed being there when it opened. From what I understand it will be reservation only. I'm sure it will be nice. Next, the whole water/beach situation. I understand that this club doesn't sit on the ocean and there really isn't any control over the water quality. Beach is small, but sand was smooth and silky. I just wouldn't want to get into the water. Didn't look healthy. Next, I felt bad for the some of the staff, especially at Soleil. We were a big group that like to stay up late and get a snack. Seemed like the servers at this spot were always overwhelmed and the food took forever to come out. It did stay open til 1 in the morning, but you almost had to wait that long to get your meal. It really would have been nice to have a server at the main pool. Someone to at least take drink orders so that we didn't always have to get up. There were satellite bars set up when events were going on, but if you were just lounging at pool during the day you'd have to go to Slice for a drink or to the window near the restaurants. Sometimes you just don't want to get up and have to go somewhere.

Overall, really nice place to go for a relaxing time. Our trip was pretty much filled with things to always do. I would visit here again.

3 Thank Donna T
UK
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

As other reviewers have pointed out this is not a luxury or honeymoon type resort. It is a family resort with lots of activities for adults and children, including its USP, a circus school.

We found the buffets to be tasty and varied. During busier periods dishes were slow to be replenished though.

Our accommodation in block A was spacious but dated and not exactly pristine. Housekeeping was so-so.

Staff were helpful and friendly. They appear to work very long hours as they multi-task their way through the day and evening. Special mention about new recruit Russell from Virginia. He built up an excellent rapport with adults and kids alike. Definitely an asset to Club Med.

The river has now reopened following pollution closure so water activities are back on the menu.

Overall a very enjoyable stay.

Stayed November 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Saint Lucie
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port St. Lucie-Tradition
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port...
#1 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Holiday Inn Port St. Lucie
Holiday Inn Port St. Lucie
#12 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Courtyard Hutchinson Island Oceanside/Jensen Beach
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port St. Lucie West
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#8 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Hampton Inn & Suites Port St. Lucie, West
Hampton Inn & Suites Port St. Lu...
#4 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Residence Inn Port St. Lucie
Residence Inn Port St. Lucie
#5 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie

Been to Club Med Sandpiper Bay? Share your experiences!