“Watch out with Reservations”

Club Med Sandpiper Bay
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Port Saint Lucie
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I want to first start by saying the staff at this Club Med are the greatest. They are very hard working. It is not only the GO's that entertain the guests but the cooks, waitstaff, bartenders and housekeeping. This is our fifth visit to this resort. The last two visits I had a horrible time with reservations. Since I have been to the resort, I knew the area in which I wanted to stay in. They last two times has been a disaster. Both times I have told the reservation (800 number) where I wanted to stay in the facility and why it was so important me. I even refered to the map of the resort. Both times they assured me that I would stay in that area. On the last trip I confirmed my room category with the front desk. They stated that the 800 number gave me a completely different room and I needed to change it with them. I spent over an hour and they said they made the changes to the room category. They changed the room category and said the problem was solved. It wasn't. The problem worked out on the last trip. This is because when I arrived the front desk they stated that 800 reservation still gave me the wrong room category but since they were not full they could accommodate what I requested from the beggining.Because of this I made sure to confirm the room type before this trip. I called front desk prior to the trip and they said that the 800 number was incorrect and I had to call and make the changes. After numerous phone calls, (with the 800 staff listening to my original recorded phone call regarding the reservation to make sure I was telling them the truth) they moved my reservation stating that with this new room catagory I may get the area of the resort I want but I may not. The original requested category was booked.I accepted this change and agreed. The reservation "specialist" then decided to educate me on what "Club Med" terminology to use when I make future reservations. I thanked her for her tips and felt assured everything was finally ironed out. When I arrived the front desk they stated the 800 number was mistaken again. This new room catagory would have NEVER given me the area I requested. Since the resort was booked I had no alternatives.I have spent hours with 800 reservation on both trip reservations. They have misinformed me both times and when I try to correct the situation and I am assured that it is taken care of, it is not. The 800 reservation needs to not educate the guest but needs to educate themselves on room categories and make sure they are filling out requests appropriately. I am dissappointed with the reservation system. The room category was very important to me due to a family situation. I don't believe I will be coming here again due to the mass confusion of reservations.

Room Tip: I have no tips on choosing a good room because the reservation line does not follow thru with reques...
4  Thank elisap121
Write a ReviewReviews (4,414)

Reviewed 24 April 2014

My husband is an ex-GO and we typically only travel to Club Med. This was our 3rd stay at Sandpiper and I have to say that this time I was disapointed. We expected lots of people as the village was fully booked for Easter week. The problem was that this village felt "overpopulated".

Pool chairs were hard to find, clean pool towels were often unavailable and the hoard of people at the buffet meant that you had to guard your little ones from getting knocked over by people running around with plates of food. The biggest issue at the restaurant is that the cleaning staff was not able to turn over tables fast enough so you were often left standing by a dirty vacant table, waiting for someone to clear and clean it. Once they did, you then had to run around trying to get a clean place setting. Clean being the important word here as on multiple occasions, I had to run to the bathroom to wash our "clean" wine glasses that were encrusted with lipstick. YUK! The food was good but a bit repetitive. The wine as actually good for an all incluive.

Our room was clean and well set up for a family with a king bed and 2 twin daybeds for the kids. Lots of room to play and set up games and toys. Although the rooms rooms have been updated since our last vsiit, the changes were mostly decorative. The building and room itself are definitely showing their age.

The Mini Club (kids club) was also mahem. In the 6-7 year old group, they had 50 kids signed in for a ratio or 2 or 3 GO's. Although the GO's did an AMAZING job with the kids given the circumstances, the sheer volume meant that the kids did alot of waitng for their turn at any given activity.

Although we LOVE Club Med, I think it will be a while until our next visit. I think we'll give some other resorts a try...

3  Thank basel555
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Just returned from Club Med Sandpiper Bay with my husband and 3 teenage boys, ages 13, 15, and 17. We all had a great time. We all took advantage of the excellent group golf lessons each day and the boys enjoyed participating in tennis tournaments, basketball tournaments and soccer with "friends" they made while at Club Med. The dining room has everything you can think of - plenty of fresh vegetable choices, an assortment of fish and meats and pastas, plus abundant sides. We love buffets - In and Out so we have more time for activities. This is my 9th Club Med (never been to the same one twice), so the Club Med culture of fun and high energy was there as always. While my boys enjoyed their sports, I enjoyed the power walk each morning, plus numerous exercise classes and 3 pools. However, I should state that this wasn't the prettiest Club I've been to and it doesn't have a large waterfront - two negatives in my book. Also there were many more young children who were there rather than teenagers. I was at Club Med Punta Cana last year and there were many more teenagers. If you've never been to a Club Med, you need to know that it's not the place you go for having drinks served to you around the pool. We love it for its non-pretentious attitude and it's upbeat energy.

1  Thank Dannapolis
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This is our third trip back to Sandpiper Bay and we continue to be so impressed. We were very worried about visiting during the high season, especially vacation week - we usually go off-season. Yes, there were more people than normal but the staff had control of everything. There were no crazy lines for food like I feared and I was able to always find a lounge chair by the pool. The activities were fun and continuous all day. The maintenance and cleaning crew must have been working 24/7 because the grounds were always incredibly clean and our room was kept spotless. Very impressive Club Med!

Room Tip: As a family - the deluxe club family rooms are great or choose 2 first floor connecting deluxe rooms...
1  Thank SnAnS
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Our first trip here. My family spent 7 nights/8 days here along with other members of our family. A total of 13 adults and kids in 4 rooms in the C Building. Overall Sandpiper is a great vacation location, but there are some rough edges to the whole experience.

Arrival was very late, 10:30 pm or so. A bit of disorganization at the front desk, and getting our bags to our room was haphazard, with them crammed on a golf cart with my wife and small kids, and me walking behind. Our room keys were't correctly coded, so THAT was a bit of a delay too. Nothing major, but at that hour and with small kids who were sleepy, a bit of a PITA.

Buildings are, as someone else posted, somewhat Cold War-era in style. Think efficient socialist building design! Some wear/tear to exteriors, maybe discoloration on some surfaces. Nothing aesthetically pleasing, nothing offensive. Each building has coin-operated laundry and detergent is for sale. We ran one load; took 2 attempts to dry it.

Rooms: I have read that rooms (some? all?) had been redone recently. Our C Building Deluxe Family Room was comfortable, roomy enough, clean. Tile floors throughout; sand is easily tracked in and on your feet, but the cleaning staff can also easily clean it up. All the possible items needed for a family with little kids (ours are 2 and 4) were included: crib, changing pad, stroller, baby tub. It's a family-focused resort, so these items are left by default. All were clean and in fine condition. Twin beds for kids, King bed for us in main room. I found it comfortable and supportive. Pillows are small, but thick/supportive. First-floor room had sliders out to lawn, facing beach.

Bathrooms: 1 full, 1 half. Worked fine for us, since kids are small. Tub/shower with Euro-style "wand" extra showerhead. Plenty of soaps, shampoos, lotions refilled daily. Plenty of space for toiletries.

Extras: A mini fridge gets refilled daily with water and sodas. Housekeeping staff comes twice for towels and once for cleaning. A turndown service is also done at night, where they leave little chocolates. Having stayed at hotels that promise turndown and then hit/miss on execution, this was nice in that it was done for ALL beds, EVERY night.

Noise: HVAC blows cold, blows loud. Loud guests can be heard from the courtyard at night, and I worried our kids crying (whining) could be heard by neighbors.

Meals: There is PLENTY of food, from healthy options to fattening food. If you aren't happy with the food here then don't go to a place that does mass-serving, buffet-style food. Hardest thing to deal with is that main meals are at set times (ie, restaurant isn't 24/7) so if you encounter a rush it can be tough to grab a table for large groups. A theme here is people "blocking/reserving" spots, so it isn't uncommon to find chairs tipped up to "save" a table. If you want to eat between B/L/D, there is a limited menu at the restaurant; we didn't partake.

Kids Club: we had our kids in the Kids Club and despite crying at drop-off, they seemed to love it. No sunburns (ie, staff is attentive to suncreen application) at all. You just have to make sure you bring supplies (diapers if needed, wipes, suncreen, bathing suits, etc). TOTALLY worth it for parents to be able to have their own vacation.

Events: Tons to do. Sports, gym, fitness classes, runs, training (fitness/triathlon), tennis, golf, trapeze, pool, sailing, etc. It's definitely geared for active clients, but if you want to sit by the pool all day you can.

Pools: There is a lap/family pool (didn't use), a family pool (unheated, lots of chairs and lounge seats), and a no-kids infinity/edgeless pool (heated) with hot tub. Unfortunately, by 8:30 am or so people at the family and adults pool will lay down towels to "reserve" lounges and cabanas. People will do that and then not show up for HOURS. This is a BIG downer for me. Staff should be more aggressive in a) not allowing this and b) not letting people take 6-8 towels per person. On at least two occasions towels ran out at family pool; I saw people come to the adult pool, grab towels, and head back to the family pool. Not cool.

Entertainment: there is live music by the Slice bar (which serves drinks all day/night), a nightly "show" of some sort, and then after-show partying until 1 or 2 am. Kids in the camp have events at the end of each day from 4:15 to 5 pm pick up. There is also a nightly "camp" for the kids so parents can have dinner/stay out. We didn't use this.

Drinks: people here have commented about the quality of alcohol. You can pay extra for "better" booze, I believe. The drinks were fine, but I wasn't here to get hammered. Saw plenty of people drunk and never really saw the bartenders pouring the good stuff, so I guess the all-included booze does the job.

Gym: Good amount of equipment to do a whole variety of workouts. I did 4 spin classes. Sign up early, only 9-10 bikes! You can pay extra for triathlon training or other single- or multi-day training sessions. Would like to see gym be a bit bigger, and it was annoying to see people steal dumbbells to use in the cardio classes.

Random thoughts: this isn't a resort on the ocean, it's on a river. At times, depending on tide/storms/etc it can get smelly. I didn't go in the water, but family members sailed and didn't have a complaint.

The facility isn't super-upscale. It isn't run down, but it's no Four Seasons. Nor is it priced like that.

Staff is all super helpful and friendly. Very encouraging and upbeat. The Club Med way.

This is a great family vacation spot. If you want solitude, you can have it. If you want lots of activities, you can have it. I did get fed up with the people saving tables/pool chairs, as well as the rudeness of many people at mealtimes: pushing their way in front, using their hands to take food (instead of tongs -- even my 4 year old knows to use them!), not holding doors, etc. But that isn't the fault of Club Med.

If you want a place to spend time with family but also spend time by yourself, this is an excellent domestic choice. 1 hour or so from West Palm airport.

Room Tip: C Building was close to everything without getting a lot of noise. A, B, C, D buildings are close by...
4  Thank jdlvalium
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Wonderful place with many activities to do!! Fitness with Maru, best zumba instructor!, amazing pool, spa, amazing food and the best service for your kids!! Only thing is the mattress and pillow. Bring your own pillow!
Enjoy!!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Recently spent seven days at Club Med Sandpiper. Can't say enough good things about it. The staff is first-rate -- I don't know where they get the energy to do all they do, but it's remarkable (a special shout-out to Olivier, Teddy, and Paige). Another real selling point is the complete absence of lines for anything. The place never feels crowded, and while you may not always be able to get the precise table you want in the dining area, you can always find something. Along the same lines, this is a vacation spot that doesn't seem to have many rules. You're not always being told what you can and can't do. It works -- people generally seemed well-behaved (even the children). Finally, what may be the biggest plus of all -- this is not a place that's nickel-and-diming you, to the point that that they don't even bother to include mini-bars in the rooms. Even the beer and wine is free (though I think you can pay to upgrade for higher quality booze if you want it). The restaurant gladly serves food between 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. and there's no charge, even though it's outside the normal meal hours.

The food is plentiful and there are many healthy options.

Our room was nothing special, but you don't spend much time there other than to sleep, so it's not a big deal. They haven't done anything to accommodate laptop warriors -- outlets are few and far between and hardly convenient. But the idea, I think, is for people not to work they're on the property.

If there's one thing I'd like to see them do, it would be to toss all the towels offered at the pools and get new ones. They're all kind of ratty and not at all soft to the touch.

Advice to those coming -- take some exercise classes, but keep in mind that the cardio class is brutal (I'm in good shape and was very sore for two days). The morning walk is a nice opportunity to meet other people. I also think there's value in renting a car, just so you can get "off campus" when you want. There are lots of big stores (like Walmart) nearby.

All in all, a great vacation and our daughter liked it so much she now wants to work for Club Med. We'll certainly be coming back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Saint Lucie
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port St. Lucie-Tradition
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port...
#1 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
#5 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Vistana Beach Club
Vistana Beach Club
#1 of 1 in Hutchinson Island

Been to Club Med Sandpiper Bay? Share your experiences!