“Kids really loving it now”

Club Med Sandpiper Bay
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Port Saint Lucie
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was our 7th or 8th time staying at Club Med Sandpiper. I sort of lost track after so many great stays. We normally stay in the Club Family rooms and they have been fine for our needs. The kids have the bunk bed area with their own TV and we have an area right outside it with our own TV. I still have to say I miss the huge closet from before they did the updates, though this one is fine. Maybe some more shelves in the closets would help.

My kids are 8 and 5. We made a deal with them, they would go to the Kids Club in the morning while we took the tennis lesson and then played. Then we would pick them up and spend the rest of the day with them. Near the end of the trip my 8 year old was telling us not to come pick him up until after they were finished with Circus School and then telling us he wanted to go back at a certain time for a certain activity!!

Love the new volleyball courts out front. Too bad there wasn't really anyone out there that wanted to play. My husband and I went one day and we were able to round up a game, though you had to watch for the kids that were wanting to play too. Just a suggestion, you need a hose or shower out there to clean up a little after the game. You end up tracking sand everywhere.

We played tennis everyday. While he is not a GO, Gino is still my favorite. He remembers us every year and is such a great person.

The food is not bad. I do like the new restaurant and I like the fact that you are only allowed 1 reservation per room. Though while we ate there it seemed you were only doing 1 table seating. You could have easily done 2 and then let people make 2 reservations.

If you are looking for a 5 star resort this is not the place. If you are looking for a place to have fun with your kids and get some relaxing time, this is the place.

My only real big negative is the GO quality that they are putting in Sandpiper is not what it used to be. From my past visits you really made friends with the GO's and they would go out of their way to help you. Now it seems like they are just smiling because they have to. The only GO I would give major bonus points to is Adan the lifeguard. He was there 2 years ago when we went and he remembered us and was always very helpful and chatty (while watching the water at the same time). I still miss the Chief Lionel, he was the best!!

1  Thank brz4
There are newer reviews for Club Med Sandpiper Bay

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Just returned from three nights at this All Inclusive property and all I can say is wow! I see a lot of all inclusives and this one is fantastic! The activities for adults, kids and families are out of this world! This resort is actually quite large with amazing athletic facilities for tennis, golf, fitness, water sports and many other activities. I took five fitness classes and they were all challenging and engaging. Maru challenged me to push a bit harder than I normally would reach a bit farther! She is an amazing instructor! I taught fitness classes for ten years and she blew me away! On her day off I took class from Four and Kimme and they were fantastic! The water class with Fernando from Mexico was a hoot! You can totally chill at Club Med but why when there is so much amazing programming going on at the resort. It never felt pressured simply inviting! The GO's make you feel like family not just guests. The entertainment was fantastic especially the circus show. The food? Well it is a French Resort after all!! Fantastic! I was not sure what to think about a resort on a river vs a beach but to tell you the truth once there I thought it was great. The water was calm and perfect for paddle boarding! Paige at water sports was so helpful! I cannot wait to visit this resort in the future hope fully with a tennis or golf group!

Room Tip: I had t deluxe family room which is huge! Two bedrooms 1/5 baths. I really liked the ground floor...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Shannon E
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We were 4 adults and 2 kids - 3 generations. This was our first experience at an all-inclusive family oriented resort - and we were not sure what to expect. Well - the rooms were perfect, with a great view of the lagoon/beach and restaurants just beyond. The 2 kids (7 and 11) went to camp daily and were free to join the adults if they chose. They could be well-occupied at camp if they preferred it. The Deluxe rooms had a separate twin-bedded room for kids (or other adults) and 1 1/2 baths. There is a full restaurant for dinner but the resort offers 3 buffet meals daily and snacks/salads/sandwiches in-between. The variety of foods were amazing!! Add to this an open bar from 10 am and you can see lots of smiling adults. Free tennis lessons, paddle-boating in the lagoon, hobie-cat sailboats were included. For the kids, there were also trapeze lessons. Multiple pools were a delight and best of all was the evening we all spent in the Main Pool after dinner, from 8 to 9:30 pm all alone except for us 6. It was truly a treat!
The staff are all very attentive and go out of their way to be helpful. The check-in had a few hiccups but once past that, it was all simply wonderful - for kids and adults!

Room Tip: We stayed in Bldg C, room 158. King bed and 2 twins in the 2nd bedroom. Perfectly placed between t...
1  Thank GITL
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We have stayed at this property three times in the last four years. Our most recent visit was for five days during the first week of June. We have two teenage children that always look forward to the stay.
I thought the staff was very professional and friendly this year and did a wonderful job seeing to any needs or wants we had. The meals were great and they knocked it out of the park with Seafood night! I'll be craving that paella the rest of my life! The peel and eat shrimp was plentiful and cold, the variety of different fresh fish was wonderful. The white chocolate bread that they are famous for is still amazing, it did not disappoint!
Our room was clean and housekeeping did a great job of tidying up for us everyday while we were out enjoying the property.
I was happy to see that a bar had been placed over next to the adult pool. It was a great improvement.
We enjoyed the boats, paddle boards, cornhole, bocce and ping pong daily. There is also a trapeze there that the kids love.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We just returned last night from a week at Club Med Sandpiper Bay. Overall, I would recommend this resort, especially for families with kids. To break it down, I'll give you the Really Good, the Sort of Bad and the Kind of Ugly.

The Really Good
1. The food. Even though you basically eat all three meals at one restaurant (The Marketplace), the variety is so varied, the food so plentiful and quality so good, that it's like eating at a different restaurant every day. And for those who like to eat healthy (yes, even while on vacation), they had so many great options. There was definitely something for everyone. Major thumbs up for the food.

2. The evening entertainment. The GO's basically performed in a different show each night and it was amazing what a great job they did. Very creative, entertaining for both kids and adults, and they really went out of their way each and every night. I was totally blown away by the Mini Club show (in which my kids performed). I couldn't believe they only practiced that day for the show. The staff and kids did an awesome job.

3. Some of the staff. I say "some" because I wasn't as enamored by all of the staff as some of the other folks who have written reviews but there were several who did stand out. From the Kids Mini Club, Casey and Zaretsa were particularly sweet. Blake was our daughter's tennis instructor and she loved him. I *had* to meet Maru after all of the reviews I read (she runs the fitness classes) and I'm so glad I did. What a positive, wonderful spirit...full of love and life. And she teaches a mean cardio class as well! And a special shout out to my circus friends--Chelsey, Kelsey, Kimee, Andre and (last but definitely not least) Russell. I was lucky enough to get picked to perform in the flying trapeze show and these guys were so much fun; it was definitely the highlight of my trip.

4. The accommodations. They were fine. Not fancy, not over the top, but fine. Honestly, all we did in the room was change and sleep. Roomy, clean, bright. Yes, some things could use a little TLC but we really weren't focused on the room but rather what was outside of it.

5. The activities. It is what you make of it. You can do nothing if you want, or you can fill your day with various activities, particularly things you don't get the opportunity to do every day. I had a two hour personal training session with a Triathlete (Tommy); he did a video analysis of how I run and gave me some great tips on how to run more efficiently. We worked out together and he gave me some more pointers in the gym on how to help achieve my goals. Well worth the time and money.

6. The spa. Great massage, nice place.

The Sort of Bad
1. This is minor, but we forgot our kids' toothbrushes and noticed there was no conditioner in the room. When we called the front desk, they said they had nothing and gave no suggestions. So we had to drive to Walgreen's at 10pm to buy our kids toothbrushes. I would have thought that at a hotel this big, they would have common toiletries.

2. When we checked in, we were told we could put our credit card on file to be able to charge to our room. They said they would "hold" $200 but not charge our card until we spent it. Two days later, they did charge our credit card the $200 but we hadn't spent a penny. When I went to the front desk to complain, the guy told me, "My computer says you authorized it". Long story short, they finally reversed the charge, but they should have never charged my card in the first place (and I shouldn't have had to argue to get it reversed).

3. We were put in a less expensive/smaller room for all 7 nights (which is what we actually wanted) instead of 6 nights and 1 night in a more expensive/larger room (which is how we were booked). In order to get a refund for the difference for the one night, my husband had to write a whole letter explaining what happened and why we should get a refund. They then faxed it to their "main reservation group" somewhere and said it would take a week to get resolved. We called the reservation 800# and got it resolved more quickly, but come on...they couldn't handle this at the front desk? Just more aggravation you don't want on your vacation.

4. The waterfront. It looks nice, and the sand isn't bad, but the river isn't the nicest to swim in. And the water sports were extremely limited--just paddle boarding and sailing (you could take them out in 15 minute increments). It got old quickly.

The Kind of Ugly
1. My husband and I took an intermediate tennis lesson with two other guys. We were told to take that one, as it "wasn't the first time we ever picked up a racket". The instructor was so incredibly rude to me, he all but said, "You suck". He made rude comments, rolled his eyes, told me how terrible my shots were, try again. It was embarrassing and degrading. I think he forgot we were on vacation and there to have a good time. I mentioned this one day to the main guy working there and he was so appalled, he grabbed the guy right away to talk with him. So at least they addressed the issue. Needless to say, I didn't go back for another tennis lesson.

2. And last but not least...my 10 year old had an unfortunate event with one of the G.O.'s in her Mini Club group. My daughter was tickling her neck with a little weed when the G.O. slapped her in the face. She then said to another counselor that she was annoyed by my daughter and didn't want to be around her--get her away. She made other comments like she wished she were allergic to kids so she didn't have to be around them and that she didn't like her job. I won't name names, but she is local and has a "star" tattoo on her upper back, so be on the lookout. I immediately spoke with the Assistant Manager of the Kids Club, who said he spoke to another counselor and that it was an "accident". I'm sorry, but if it were an accident, wouldn't she have apologized?! They immediately moved her into another group, but I was on high alert the rest of the trip for another other move this woman might make. Luckily, nothing else happened.

Again, some things aside, the family did have a good time, tried new things, enjoyed our free time in various ways, and met some really nice people. Last night, my 10 year old couldn't fall asleep because she was crying hysterically...she missed the trip too much and wanted to go back. That pretty much says it all!

Room Tip: I wouldn't pay extra for the turn down service. Building "B" was great--far enough aw...
4  Thank MomOfTwo77
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We enjoyed our stay, but were disappointed in the Wifi, only getting to eat at the steak house once, and the shows were not good. We prefer a cruise for the same money. We felt it was mostly French people vacationing here.

Room Tip: We stayed in building B and felt it was a good location to everything. We would NOT like to stay on...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank David H
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We had a group of 40 people ranging in age from 14 months to 80 years old. There was plenty for everyone to do. The food was outstanding and always available. The rooms have all been renovated and the maid service was excellent. The fitness classes were great. The Zumba teacher is excellent as is the aqua exercise instructor. I would have given it a 5 except for the fact that the employees on the golf range were not helpful and were actually kind of rude. Everything else down to the kids club and the circus school teachers were super.

Room Tip: The family rooms are a must if you are using a crib.
1  Thank POPPEC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Saint Lucie
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port St. Lucie-Tradition
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port...
#1 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Holiday Inn Port St. Lucie
Holiday Inn Port St. Lucie
#11 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Courtyard Hutchinson Island Oceanside/Jensen Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Port St. Lucie, West
Hampton Inn & Suites Port St. Lu...
#4 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port St. Lucie West
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#8 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Old Colorado Inn
Old Colorado Inn
#1 of 11 in Stuart

Been to Club Med Sandpiper Bay? Share your experiences!