“Authentic Irish Food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 156 Restaurants in Punta Gorda
Price range: US$2 - US$17
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: FAILTE! [WELCOME!] The Celtic Ray Public House in downtown Punta Gorda opened in 1997 by Proprietor Kevin Doyle. At the time there wasn’t a single establishment in the area that offered a variety of quality imported beers and the atmosphere of a traditional Irish Pub. We serve only high-quality imported draught beers, bottled beers, ciders, fine wines, as well as, a selection of “soft” beverages. We also have expanded with the ‘other side’ and now have a full liquor bar! Our menu features traditional Irish Pub favorites made from fresh ingredients and family recipes.

The Celtic Ray’s Fish & Chips are famous worldwide! See you at the Ray, Slainte!
Florida
“Authentic Irish Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

First let me say that I've been to the Celtic Ray Public House several times before and we've always enjoyed the food, service and atmosphere. This is an authentic style Irish Pub with all the traditional type service. What I mean is that you have to go to the bar to order your just like they would do in Ireland. However, your food is delivered to your table by an excellent wait staff.The Pub is located in downtown Punta Gorda and is situated in a landmark building. They also, offer entertainment.

Celtic Rays traditional Irish food is homemade and delicious. On our last visit I ordered the Bangers and Mash and enjoyed it so much I wanted take an order home with me. My wife order the fish and chips. The fish was tender and flaky and outside was crisp but it wasn't greasy. Since we've been going I think tried everything on their menu and we were never disappointed.

The selection is extensive and of course they serve Guinness the right way. After it's poured into a pint glass the let it rest until there is only about a quarter in of foam at the top.

All I can say if your in Punta Gorda a want great traditional Irish food the Celtic Ray is the place.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Sarasota, Florida
“A great Irish-like Pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Plenty of Irish beverage selections including Guinness (of course), Smithwicks, bitters, Black Bush Irish Whiskey just to name a few. Food is terrific - by far the best fish & chips I've had this side of the Pond. Other Irish fare is similarly excellent. Atmosphere is complete pub - just like you'll find in the UK. And - you place your order at the bar, not at the table - another authentic pub experience. We're making this a regular stop.....

• Visited September 2013
Port Charlotte, Florida
“Dive bar!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

On a recent Sunday my wife and I went out with another couple for something to eat. We ended up at the Celtic Ray. When we entered there was no one to ask about sitting. We asked the bar tender where we should sit and he said anywhere we wanted. After sitting we waited about 10 minutes for a server but we didn't see any and none came over. Going back to the bar we were told that they don't have any serves and he handed us paper menus and told us we have to order with him when we decided to eat. The menus didn't list any prices of the meals. There wre also about 30 people in the restuarant with some sitting outside. We thought about if we ordered how would we get our food. Since he appeared to be the ony person working did we have to keep checking with him for our food? We decided to eat elsewhere where we might get a server. We couldn't believe that a restuarant with a good size crowd wouldn't hire a server so we left.

• Visited July 2013
Port Charlotte, Florida, United States
“Not customer friendly”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

Stopped in Sat night to see a friend play in the band and have dinner.Three of us sat at the bar because there were no tables avail. Bartender walked by us several times like we were invisible. Finally got his attention and me and my daughter got a beer. Her boyfriend ordered one and never got his.We asked for a dinner menu and the bartender just pointed at the wall behind the bar with no description of what each item was and walked away without a word being spoken. Very ignorant and not customer friendly. We payed for the two beers and left for one of the many better places in Punta. I will not return and will tell people about the way we were treated.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Walter P
Port Charlotte, Florida, United States
“What an Absolute Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

I have nothing bad to say about this place. The atmosphere is unbeatable and the live music never disappoints. The decor has earthy, old-world Irish feel and there is a wide selection of Irish pub fare available. All of the beers are imported, so if you are looking for a Bud, this place may not be for you. The Guinness on tap is heavenly and there is a nice selection of wines as well. I have never had a bad experience at this place and I just cannot rave enough about it.

Visited April 2013