“Disappointment”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Punta Gorda
Jacksonville
“Disappointment”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

The hotel structure and room are both very lovely but this is where it stops. Service is almost uniformly unpleasant and guests can currently expect either A. young disinterested front desk clerk B. Hostile unpleasant front desk staff C. Both.
I had to complain to top management (there is no corporate office) about poor service. This included rude responses from the hotel regarding my need to change one night of my stay through Expedia. Further, I could not believe that one staff member, a particuarly unpleasant woman was unwilling to offer me coffee, even though the staff the afternoon before was. She stated she would bring me used morning coffee if I wanted, but no offer to brew a fresh pot. Expect service with a smile? Don't count on it. There is a friendlier hotel just down the road, the Sheraton Four Points. The rooms are not as lovely, but the staff sure is. What a disppointment, especially for a business traveler with little free time and the need for a minimum of courteous service, not to be found at this site.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank jaxeyemd
Chris H, Front Office Manager at The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear jaxeyemd, I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am sorry to hear, however, that our service staff was lacking. We have made recent changes in our staffing and management to better reflect the Wyvern's standard of service and to better assist each and every guest's desires. I hope you will contact me directly when you are ready to return to the Punta Gorda area, I will personally make sure that your stay is nothing short of perfection. Thank you for your honest and sincere feedback, I do hope to welcome you back soon!

All the best,

Chris Heaxt
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Florida City, Florida
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Really nice property, but some of the efforts to be really different seem to thwart that effect. I agree that it is really nice to have snacks and drinks handy, but what of the traveler that needs that frig space? Wen we unloaded the frid we found an open drink. On our call to the front desk was the urgent message to not touch anything! But we had obviously already done that. When the house person came to assist us and we thought to take inventory etc, they simply took the opened drink as if we were afraid to touch it and told us not to worry, management would not charge us for anything. Later I was looking At the menu for the snack bar and realized that the entire drawer of snack items was gone. Well. Don't they have s system in place? In three days, not one time did that drawer or frid get restocked!
The other thing is the bed. The mattress is contained in a waterproof sleeve (crinkly sound), with a pillow top. Sleeps nice except the bottom sheet is not fitted and detaches and crumples up into a ball.
The staff was super nice.
Bar on the roof was fun, but see why folks don't like swimming with the bar crowd watching as I saw in reviews.
And if you want coffee in your room, make sure you have clothes handy to run down to the complimentary coffee station when you awaken.

Room Tip: Ask for room off the highway.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Rupie6
Hi rupie6, I would like to thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, but a bit disappointed in the subpar level of standards you received. we have recently replaced some staff members and management to broaden the level of service that the Wyvern is known for having. I hope you will allow us the opportunity on your next visit to Punta Gorda just to show you what we're really capable of. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us at the Wyvern Hotel, I hope to personally welcome you back on your next trip!
Fort Myers
Reviewed 8 May 2013

My husband and I have stayed at The Wyvern in Punta Gorda, FL several times over the last few years and have always been very pleased with the accommodations. Their rooms are very clean and quite comfortable. They have a very nice first floor restaurant as well as a rooftop pool and bar area that's lots of fun. The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful as well. I highly recommend The Wyvern as THE place to stay when in Punta Gorda.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Loves2fly
Loves2fly, your review is amazing! I would like to take the time to THANK YOU for always choosing to stay with us at the Wyvern, your loyalty and continued business means a great deal to us! I do look forward to having the pleasure and enjoyment of welcoming you back on your next visit to Punta Gorda. All the best!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 27 April 2013

My girlfriend and I had a weekend trip over to Sarasota, and while driving back to Broward decided to stop for dinner in Punta Gorda. We had both been there before, and knew how badly the town had been devastated by Hurricane Charley in 2004. All the post-storm clean-up, renovation and construction has resulted in a quaint little waterfront town with huge potential. There are numerous excellent restaurants and watering holes, bed & breakfasts, and the star attraction of the Wyvern Hotel.

What a find! Reminding me of a smaller version of the O. Henry Hotel in Greensboro, N.C., the Wyvern was built without seemingly much regard to cost. Everything is first-class. We decided to extend our weekend a bit and booked a very nice standard room. Lots of space and all the amenities you could ask for. The king bed was outstanding, as were all the linens and furnishings. The bathroom was all glass and marble, with a wonderful stall shower for 3, and a large deep tub. The bath robes were amazing.

The staff was courteous and attentive. The rooftop pool bar and terrace provided a wonderful place to relax and socialize. I just wish there was also a hot tub, but was told the water-view rooms had jacuzzi tubs for 2. Next time!

Most rooms in hotels like the Wyvern would easily be double or triple the price, which is another benefit of Florida's west coast as compared to South Florida's east coast insanity. The only negative was that there are no coffeemakers in the rooms. A large order from Nespresso would be greatly appreciated.

We will certainly be back. What a great hotel.

Room Tip: The higher the better, and rooms with water views (north side) don't have to listen to the nearb...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank pgchilds
Winter Park, FL
Reviewed 25 April 2013

We always stay here when we come to town- I've probably stayed here 6 or 7 times now since it opened. We've had great experiences with almost every stay. A word of caution: when booking your room, if you're not a night owl or don't mind late music on the weekend until late night, then don't book a room on the side that faces downtown/the bar next door (without mentioning any names). Otherwise, the rooms are a nice size, beds are comfortable and the bathrooms are deluxe! The rooftop bar is a great place to meet friends for cocktails at sunset and give you a great view of the harbor. Staff has also always been very friendly. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Harbor side rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Loved this little hotel. It was a bit upscale. Reminded me of a great hotel in New York where I stayed a few years ago. It's a beautiful little hotel with a rooftop bar. Breakfast, however, was lacking. Service was very very slow. Other than that, great spot.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
sanibel
Reviewed 8 April 2013

A group of us stayed at this hotel April 5, 2013. Everyone commented on the comfortable bedding and how nice the hotel is.
The rooftop pool and bar is great. You can sit and look out over Charlotte Harbor.
We would stay in this hotel for a return to this area.

Room Tip: The rooftop pool and bar area was beautiful. The down side was we could hear the loud music until q...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Port Charlotte
La Quinta Inn & Suites Port Charlotte
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Charlotte
Hampton Inn Port Charlotte / Punta Gorda

Been to The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda? Share your experiences!