“Beautiful hotel, ok staff...”

The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Punta Gorda
“Beautiful hotel, ok staff...”
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

Wow. The hotel is really elegant. The lighting, decorations, showers are wounderful! & the bed is comfy!
My only compkaint is the service we recieved when we first got here. There was a young man behind the counter, complaining a customer he just finished a phone call with. Then he was snappy towards us. I just didn't feel as if it was professional.
Overall nice, just service could be better.

• Stayed September 2013
Chris H, Front Office Manager at The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Hello dianap2012,

I would like to thank you for staying with us! I am glad to hear that you found our facilities luxurious and of great elegance. In regards to the service you received at the Front Desk, if you could please email me at cheaxt@thewyvernhotel.com with some further details so that I may address them. Thanks again for staying with us, hope to welcome you back again soon!

Regards,

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Venice, Florida
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying in this hotel to celebrate my 1st anniversary. I couldnt be more pleased that I chose this hotel. It is by far the BEST Punta Gorda has to offer. The roof top bar is so romantic, stunning sunsets, made to order... I have been reading other reviews on here, and would like to add that those of you who have stayed and received poor service should try it again. They have made a few changes in their staff, I think weeding out the bad by the sounds. We had great service especially by the new FD manager Chris, he couldnt do enough to make our anniversary exactly what we were hoping for. Other great staff members id like to mention were Jessica and Richy. Thank you to all for a absolutely outstanding job....

• Stayed August 2013
Chris H, Front Office Manager at The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear bwvenice,
I would like to THANK YOU for choosing to stay with us at The Wyvern Hotel. Also, congratulations to you and your significant other... they say the 1st year is always the hardest!
I am glad to hear that my staff and I were able to be of great assistance to you during your stay, which in turn led to an overall positive experience. As you had mentioned, we have also changed staffing around in the hotel and our service levels are now better than ever!
Thanks again for staying with us and for providing your honest and sincere feedback.
Here's to the future and many more anniversaries to come!
All the best,

Punta Gorda, Florida
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed at the Wyvern on the 4th of July this year. It was a great place to have as a "base" to then go out and experience the various activities in Punta Gorda. We found the room to be very well appointed, complete with a great view of the harbor.
We especially enjoyed the luxury bedding (Frette sheets) which was delightful. We ate dinner at the hotel restaurant, "LuLu". We had the churrasco steak, which was delicious and is recommended. The rooftop bar has a great vantage point overlooking Laishley Marina and Charlotte Harbor, and was perfect for viewing the Independence Day fireworks. A great boutique hotel!

Room Tip: We were in #301-a corner room on the NW side with great harbor and city views
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Chris H, Front Office Manager at The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Thanks Tom d for taking the time to let us know about your experience. I am truly grateful that you chose to stay with us at the Wyvern, and thoroughly enjoyed the spectacular views of the fireworks from our phenomenal rooftop bar and pool! I hope you have the opportunity to join us again soon, I do look forward to your next stay with us.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 4 July 2013

First class rooms, clean, and a great rooftop bar. We stayed on a Friday night and they had a band on the roof. We were on the 3rd floor and they were pretty loud into the night. Without the band, a great place to stay.

Room Tip: No band during your stay.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gary B
Dear Gary B, your review means a lot to the management and staff at the Wyvern. Although you enjoyed all that we have to offer, I am sorry to hear that the band's noise was an issue during your stay. We strive to make each and every guest experience at the Wyvern a memorable one. I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to correct any deficiencies, and show you that what you experienced was not the norm, but the exception. Thanks for giving us your honest and sincere feedback, it is truly appreciative.
Jacksonville
Reviewed 31 May 2013

The hotel structure and room are both very lovely but this is where it stops. Service is almost uniformly unpleasant and guests can currently expect either A. young disinterested front desk clerk B. Hostile unpleasant front desk staff C. Both.
I had to complain to top management (there is no corporate office) about poor service. This included rude responses from the hotel regarding my need to change one night of my stay through Expedia. Further, I could not believe that one staff member, a particuarly unpleasant woman was unwilling to offer me coffee, even though the staff the afternoon before was. She stated she would bring me used morning coffee if I wanted, but no offer to brew a fresh pot. Expect service with a smile? Don't count on it. There is a friendlier hotel just down the road, the Sheraton Four Points. The rooms are not as lovely, but the staff sure is. What a disppointment, especially for a business traveler with little free time and the need for a minimum of courteous service, not to be found at this site.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank jaxeyemd
Dear jaxeyemd, I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am sorry to hear, however, that our service staff was lacking. We have made recent changes in our staffing and management to better reflect the Wyvern's standard of service and to better assist each and every guest's desires. I hope you will contact me directly when you are ready to return to the Punta Gorda area, I will personally make sure that your stay is nothing short of perfection. Thank you for your honest and sincere feedback, I do hope to welcome you back soon!

All the best,

Florida City, Florida
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Really nice property, but some of the efforts to be really different seem to thwart that effect. I agree that it is really nice to have snacks and drinks handy, but what of the traveler that needs that frig space? Wen we unloaded the frid we found an open drink. On our call to the front desk was the urgent message to not touch anything! But we had obviously already done that. When the house person came to assist us and we thought to take inventory etc, they simply took the opened drink as if we were afraid to touch it and told us not to worry, management would not charge us for anything. Later I was looking At the menu for the snack bar and realized that the entire drawer of snack items was gone. Well. Don't they have s system in place? In three days, not one time did that drawer or frid get restocked!
The other thing is the bed. The mattress is contained in a waterproof sleeve (crinkly sound), with a pillow top. Sleeps nice except the bottom sheet is not fitted and detaches and crumples up into a ball.
The staff was super nice.
Bar on the roof was fun, but see why folks don't like swimming with the bar crowd watching as I saw in reviews.
And if you want coffee in your room, make sure you have clothes handy to run down to the complimentary coffee station when you awaken.

Room Tip: Ask for room off the highway.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Rupie6
Hi rupie6, I would like to thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, but a bit disappointed in the subpar level of standards you received. we have recently replaced some staff members and management to broaden the level of service that the Wyvern is known for having. I hope you will allow us the opportunity on your next visit to Punta Gorda just to show you what we're really capable of. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us at the Wyvern Hotel, I hope to personally welcome you back on your next trip!
Fort Myers
Reviewed 8 May 2013

My husband and I have stayed at The Wyvern in Punta Gorda, FL several times over the last few years and have always been very pleased with the accommodations. Their rooms are very clean and quite comfortable. They have a very nice first floor restaurant as well as a rooftop pool and bar area that's lots of fun. The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful as well. I highly recommend The Wyvern as THE place to stay when in Punta Gorda.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Loves2fly
Loves2fly, your review is amazing! I would like to take the time to THANK YOU for always choosing to stay with us at the Wyvern, your loyalty and continued business means a great deal to us! I do look forward to having the pleasure and enjoyment of welcoming you back on your next visit to Punta Gorda. All the best!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Gorda
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Port Charlotte
La Quinta Inn & Suites Port Charlotte
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Charlotte
Hampton Inn Port Charlotte / Punta Gorda

Been to The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda? Share your experiences!