“Awesome Rooftop Bar”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Punta Gorda
Red Bank, New Jersey
“Awesome Rooftop Bar”
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

Came just to check out the view, but stayed for a few drinks! The view was really nice & the service was exceptional! They had a DJ, & they played all kinds of music!! I would have liked to check out the rooms.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Chris H, Assistant General Manager at The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
MLerario1023, thanks for stopping by to "check us out!" I am glad you enjoyed yourself and our house DJ. Feel free to stop by on your next visit, we are more than happen to show you one of our beautiful and spacious guest rooms anytime!

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I was so excited when we checked in to this hotel because it was perfect. It was extremely clean, which is what I look for in a hotel. The problem-we asked when the pool closed and was told by the front desk that it closed at 10pm. So at 9pm we let our children swim. Well, I guess the guy performing had a problem with the kids(and yes some of the kids are teenagers and my 10 year old daughter) swimming. The kids were never left without an adult so I know for a fact they were not being disruptive. First, as they got in to the pool, the guy singing said into the microphone "some people pay $200 to swim". The crowd started laughing. I didn't get it. A pool on the rooftop is a pretty attractive feature to teens and kids. The next thing we know the kids are done swimming and as they walk out the singer says into the microphone very sarcastic "thanks for swimming guys". We complained to the front desk and they said they would talk to him. When we checked out the front desk said they talked to him and he denied everything. I am not a liar. It is very rare that my children get to go on a vacation, so for them to be made fun of, especially in front if a crowd with a microphone by an arrogant jerk makes me very mad. This guy is not some kind of celebrity that anybody cares about and the fact that the hotel didn't offer us anything for the embarrassment my kids felt says a lot about their priorities. We will never stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Ruehlmanj
Chris H, Assistant General Manager at The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Ruehlmanj,

I would like to apologize for the experience you received at the Rooftop. We do feature live entertainment every Friday and Saturday evening by independent singers/groups that are hired by the hotel and are not employed by us.

The pool area is a featured amenity for hotel guests and any comments regarding that will not be tolerated by our management staff from an independent group or singer. I will further investigate this matter and take the corrective actions necessary.

Since this issue was with the entertainment and not the hotel, I hope that you will return and stay with us again soon. We strive for excellence and will do whatever it takes to win your loyalty.

Please reach out to me via email at CHeaxt@TheWyvernHotel.com if I may be of any further assistance to you or would like me to personally make your next reservation.

All the best and have a Happy New Year!

florida
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Plenty of free parking. Well within walking distance of all the best places to eat. Good food and music. Good views. Rooms: clean, acceptable, quiet. PG is trying very hard to revive the waterfront area downtown and has done a great job so far.

Room Tip: Stay on 3 or 4. The band on the roof quits @ 10pm if you're early to bed type.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thedoctor2001
Dear thedoctor2001,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review us. Your feedback is greatly appreciated for us to further enhance our service and experience for every guest. Whenever you are in the area again, I hope that you will consider staying with us at the Wyvern Hotel.

Happy New Year!

Toronto
Reviewed 25 December 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at The Wyvern hotel and loved. Great rooms, great location and great pool. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area. The staff were very friendly and helpful. My only recommendation would be to bring your own snacks as there are no vending machines with snack food and although they provide mini bar snacks they are very expensive.
I would definitely stay there again. Roof top pool and patio is awesome!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Chris H, Assistant General Manager at The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
I have to agree, Stormsam, that the Rooftop terrace is simply breathtaking! Along with our rooms, there is no better place to stay with the service and amenities we offer. We do provide fully-stocked minibars for the convenience of every guest, so you won't have to worry about leaving the comfort of room if you choose to. as always, thank you for staying with us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Bluffton, Indiana
Reviewed 25 December 2013

This hotel was more than we expected. The rooms were very spacious and comfortable. The staff was tremendous and helpful. They were always available to answer question or to offer suggestions for restaurants or shopping. We will definitely be staying at the Wyvern Hotel the next time we are in Punta Gorda. Thanks for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the bay are awesome.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you Sim891 for staying with us and for your feedback. As you mentioned, our service given was "tremendous," and I will be sure to pass along kudos to the entire staff for making this a very pleasant experience for you. We strive for top-notch service and will do whatever it takes to make sure our guests leave feeling satisfied with their stay with us. Thanks again for staying and look forward to your return trip to the Punta Gorda area soon!

Lady Lake, Florida
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My hubby, my grandson (10) and I stayed at the Wyvern the end of November and we really enjoyed our stay. The room was so beautiful and the view of Charlotte harbor was spectacular...especially the sunset! The staff was very friendly....especially Chris who was running the front desk. I would highly recommend the Wyvern to anyone looking for a fabulous place to stay in the Punta Gorda area. We will be back soon. I plan on bringing some of my Gal Pals down for a Girls weekend real soon.

Room Tip: If you can get a room on the Charlotte harbour side, the view is spectacular.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Peaveybfc
Chris H, Assistant General Manager at The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Thank you Peaveybfc for your review! We take great pleasure in hearing feedback such as yours about your experience at the Wyvern Hotel. We strive to please every guest, every time. When you and your Gal Pals are ready to come enjoy all that Punta Gorda has to offer, always know that we'll have a room waiting for you.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Gorgeous hotel. Check-in was a breeze. We inquired as to 'where' to park and we were told anywhere in/around the building (see note below). We asked for a quiet room (to avoid potential roof-top bar noise) and were granted that request---given a room on the 3rd floor. Room was perfect...comfortable king-size bed with Frette linens. Beautiful bathroom: separate garden tub, walk-in shower, huge granite countertop w/ sink. Definitely a 5-star bathroom. We are major coffee drinkers in the morning; you have to go down into the lobby & into the restaurant for coffee (there is no in-room coffee maker). After I was seen trying to carry full coffee cups back up to the room; I was offered a carafe (and smaller creamer) to take back up to the room. Perfect! Every morning I would use the tray (in the room at the bar) to go down & pick up a carafe of coffee (and cream).
OK; for the "negatives". I would offer the suggestion of installing a card-key lock on the back door for security reasons. On many evenings we witnessed "impaired" individuals walking across the parking area from the neighboring bar/restaurant straight through this door to use the lobby bathroom.
Parking. it appears to be "shared" with a next door establishment. If this is not correct--we never saw any "enforcement" of hotel-guests only. On weekends, this can be an issue because of the entertainment not only at the Wyvern roof top bar, but also at the next door establishment. One night we made several "circles" around the block to find....no parking. This might be a deal breaker for future visits. I wasnt exactly enthused with parking my car (with out-of-state tags) across the street from the Wyvern. For security & guest safety I would highly encourage the investment in a lot specifically for Wyvern guests only.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SweetSoutherners
Chris H, Assistant General Manager at The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear SweetSoutherners,

I greatly value your input. It is because of guests such as yourself that allows us to correct any deficiencies that you encountered. I am very glad to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay, and that you loved the spacious design and amenities of our bathrooms.

In regards to your concern about our parking, we have a huge open and lit parking lot directly behind the hotel for guests only. The side lot next to the hotel is for overflow for the hotel, rooftop, and restaurant patrons of Dean's (the restaurant located behind us). At any time, we do offer complimentary valet service for hotel guests to park any vehicles that can not find parking spaces, as most Friday and Saturday evenings we do sell out and parking does become tight at times.

Next time you are in the area, please feel free to inquire to our friendly Front Desk associates on any questions or concerns you may have, it is always our pleasure to assist you, our guest.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Gorda
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Port Charlotte-Punta Gorda
La Quinta Inn & Suites Port Charlotte
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Charlotte
Hampton Inn Port Charlotte / Punta Gorda

Been to The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda? Share your experiences!