“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Punta Gorda
Weston, Florida, USA
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Our family including our 4 year old daughter stayed over the weekend. The hotel although not exactly on the harbor is still excellent. Roof top bar, pool and beautiful, peaceful view of the harbor from their makes up for it. The harbor facing room we stayed in was excellent. It was extremely clean and the bed was awesome. Apple ipod docking station in the room is a nice touch especially when ur 4 year old loves dancing. The bathroom was a total surprise, it was huge, tastefully decorated and extremely clean with best toileteries . The soaking bath tub was a bliss. Hotel lobbies are carpeted but it was extremely clean and lobbies always smelled nice unlike some other hotels where carpets are old and stinking.

The service at the bar, restratunt and at reception was excellent. Although the breakfast buffet menu or the dinner menu was not extraordinary, it was sufficient. Buffalo wings were not that great..tasted a bit old but margharita pizza was very good. But when you are at the roof top while sun is setting or at night looking at the harbor enjoying your drink, the lack of menu items doesn't bother.

Hotel is close to fisherman's village (around 1.5 mils) and the pirate festival experience was unique. Strongly recommend taking eary morning walk around the harbor from the hotel to fisherman's village .. it is a serene experience.

We liked the hotel so much that we extended by 1 more night.

Plan to come back during winter when weather is nicer

Room Tip: Corner harbor facing rooms in 3rd floor are good. We never faced any noise issues with DJ playing on...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Shailesh B
Chris H, Assistant General Manager at The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Wow, thank you Shailesh for providing us with such a detailed and positive review! We value all input, whether positive or negative, to help us better the experience that every guest receives. I am so glad that you enjoyed the bathrooms, iPod stations, and found all of our staff as wonderful as can be. Thanks again for your feedback and hope to see you back soon!

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Hayesville, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here over the weekend. We found this hotel on line by accident ( I should do this more often) we were so surprised at how beautiful this was. The Florida resident rate was more that fair making them a very good deal.
Happy hour prices from 5-7 was also very appreciated.
Punta Gorda has change so much over the last few years, this area especially.

We found that the location was in walking distance to restaurants, parks and a beautiful board walk surrounding the pier.
An adorable town and hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Berry112008
Dear Berry1102008, thank you for providing us with your feedback and "accidental" booking, we love when mistakes turn out positive, I hope future bookings turn out this way as well! We do hope to have the opportunity top welcome you back to the Punta Gorda area again soon.

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I am an amateur photographer who has been dying to catch some sunset scenes out on the west coast, specifically Anna Maria Island, Siesta Key, and Venice Beach. After doing some research on lodging that was close to my points of interest, I stumbled upon a deal for this hotel on www.booking.com. Of course, I checked out its Trip Advisor ratings and later discovered that they were all on-point.

The Wyvern Hotel is conveniently situated on the water in the historic district of Punta Gorda, with easy access to both US-41 and I-75. Parking is free and ample (two lots).

Upon check-in, the desk clerk was extremely pleasant and efficient. I was pleased to discover that the check-out time was 12:00pm; this bit of extra time later enabled me to sleep-in beneath the cool, cushy duvet and mountain of alternative down-filled pillows.

Maneuvering the hotel, so as to get to my fifth floor room, was quite easy. Given that it is a boutique ambiance, it is a rather simple layout: the lobby, restaurant, fitness center (quite small, but well-equipped for basic physical fitness needs), and business center (again, small, but providing basic communication necessities) were on the bottom floor. Another rooftop restaurant and bar offered a spectacular bird's eye view of the city and the setting sun. Although an obviously older edifice, the common areas of The Wyvern were spotless and well-maintained.

My king suite was no exception to the impeccable upkeep. The room was very spacious (complete with a sitting and a work/desk area) and well worth the mere $111 that I paid, after taxes. In addition to the luxurious bed, I was especially impressed with the generously large bathroom (complete with a lengthy vanity area and stand-up shower). The inclusion of a separate, ergonomically-shaped tub made my two-day escape from reality even more delightful. The hot water was plentiful and never ran out as I drew my bath. There was ample ledge space around the tub to place candles and iPhone speakers. The comfortable cotton-polyester blend spa robe was a comfortable finishing touch.

I can honestly say that I had one of the best nights of sleep in my entire life that day. I must admit, however, that I am a night owl and do not retire earlier than 1 a.m. or so. With that being said, be aware that there are bands that play locally until around approximately 11 p.m. The hotel mindfully places complimentary ear plugs on your nightstand, so as to aid in having a more peaceful slumber.

Overall, my stay at The Wyvern exceeded my initial expectations. I certainly will seek out lodging accommodations at this hotel when I return to the west coast. :-D

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank La V
Chris H, Assistant General Manager at The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Wow, thanks La V for your utmost positive review of your recent visit to the Wyvern Hotel. Our staff is THRILLED about your detailed explanations on everything we provide and how wonderful you found them. I thank you once more for taking the time out of your busy schedule to let the WORLD know how comfortable your stay was, it is greatly appreciated!

I do look forward to warmly welcoming you back in the future!

Florida
Reviewed 23 July 2014

A last minute change in business plans brought me to the Wyvern and I was pleasantly pleased. My trip was extended by a few days and Maryanne was very helpful in assisting me. She also was very accommodating sending out the multiple faxes I needed to get done in a certain timeframe. Fred in the sports bar had a wonderful personality and excellent service; always on top of everything. The rooftop bar, although I only visited shortly had an amazing view with a fun band playing. The room was clean, comfortable and well supplied. I enjoyed the fact that it's advertised as a non smoking hotel & actually was. When I travel back to Punta Gorda this is a must stay hotel for me.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tonya M
Thanks Tonya for your great 5-Star review about us! We are simply thrilled to hear of your fantastic stay with us, and how simply wonderful Fred & Maryanne were to you. And because of your great review, they are both receiving bonuses on their next paycheck. We greatly value our employees, and do so by rewarding them for providing great service to guests such as yourself. Thanks again for staying and we do look forward to warmly welcoming you back again soon!

Tampa, Florida, United States
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Pulled in on the boat to the public Marina and walked across the street to the Hotel. Great service and fantastic facility. Nice pool on the roof. Really a bargain for the price. Sports bar off lobby has fantastic food and a great price. Staff was very friendly. Highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Your review is amazing Frank, thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Punta Gorda, Florida
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Was back at the Wyvern once again, and the rooftop was fantastic, especially our bartender Linda. She is so professional and efficient. Don't ever let her leave......... And of course the best views in the area, hands down!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alan C
Hi Alan, thank you for your review, I have to agree as well that Linda is the BEST, and is NOT going anywhere! Thanks for stopping by and hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

My 17 yr old son got stranded at the local airport because of a canceled flight. Jen , the restaurant manager picked him up from the airport and brought him back to the hotel. Maryann, the front desk manager went above and beyond catering to my son's needs. They both helped me so much and I am so thankful for everything they did. My son said the hotel was awesome looking too. I was in panic mode when his flight was canceled and I was already in NY. They made both myself and my son feel at ease on this stressful day. So grateful to them both!!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Angeladunford
Chris H, Assistant General Manager at The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to recognize two of our AMAZING managers who strive to make every effort a positive experience. Although I wish you could have been joined with your son, I am happy to hear that Maryanne and Jen went above and beyond to make your son feel "at home" for the night away. Thank you again for leaving your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Gorda
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Port Charlotte
La Quinta Inn & Suites Port Charlotte
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Charlotte
Hampton Inn Port Charlotte / Punta Gorda

Been to The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda? Share your experiences!