“Stunning... am I really in Punta Gorda?”

The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Punta Gorda
Avon Park, Florida
“Stunning... am I really in Punta Gorda?”
Reviewed 26 February 2009

Punta Gorda, really? I am stunned. Total shock and awe! There is no possible way I would ever image such a hotel of this magnitude would be in a small, rural town. Punta Gorda?!?! I would expect a hotel of this quality to be in Orlando or Tampa.

The hotel is simply a delight. I travel frequently, and I was not looking forward to this trip as I have been here years ago and there was nothing here. The lobby is warm and inviting; the staff is efficient; the rooms are very well appointed.

There is a fabulous outdoor bar on the roof of the hotel, which I found be as nifty of a bar I have ever seen. Nice touch.

The bathroom is spot on! GREAT walk-in shower and stand alone tub.

The hotel offers LCD television in each room with Hi-definition channels, and the hotel offers free wi-fi.

Way to go guys!! This is truly a hidden gem!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank kcribb1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
AK
Reviewed 4 December 2008

I had a short business meeting in Punta Gorda, but knew nothing about the area. My wife accompanied me on this trip, so I wanted to find a nice room. I booked a room at the Wyvern based on the one review available. The hotel is new (open less than two weeks at the time of my stay) and that was a factor in my choice. The hotel is privately owned and is built to a higher standard than most. Being new the exterior and interior are in excellent condition, but also very nicely designed. We were given a spacious suite with the nicest bathroom of any hotel that I have stayed in. The bathroom featured both a whirlpool tub and separate marble shower. The bathroom floors, tub surround and shower were finished in Carrera Marble, while the vanity top was dark granite. All the fixtures and finishes were of high quality, and the lighting was excellent. The rest of the room was extremely nice as well, with a comfortable bed and pillows. The linens and fabrics were of good quality. The Hotel is located in a quiet area, and the staff are very friendly and helpful. We ate breakfast in the restaurant, and found the food to our liking and the service good. I can recommend this hotel without reservation. I hope the management can maintain the excellent condition. Really good hotels are hard to find.

• Liked — The quality and cleanliness
  • Disliked — No deficiencies noted
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ScottSeigmund
Boston
Reviewed 24 November 2008

Its rare any more that you find a hotel room at any price that is clean, well thought out, user friendly, elegant, etc. The rooms in this hotel are impeccable. By far the most comfortable bed in any hotel I have ever stayed in. The hotel is brand new but it was clearly built to last the ages. Nothing is second rate, and the bathrooms truly first class. Every little detail was thought of. They even have free wi/fi.

Pete

• Liked — The Bathrooms, beds, pillows and towels!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank petesmith121
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Port Charlotte
La Quinta Inn & Suites Port Charlotte
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Charlotte
Hampton Inn Port Charlotte / Punta Gorda

Been to The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda? Share your experiences!