“a family place”

Golden Corral
Ranked #128 of 163 Restaurants in Punta Gorda
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 8 January 2014

With 4 adult and 3 kids, the Golden Corral has the food selection. We had the wrong directions and arrived after the dinner crowd. The food selection was great but they were a little slow on refilling the platters (so late in the evening). I understand that but I would like to have choices. The food was presented nicely and the place was clean. The bathrooms were clean. The lady working our section kept the dirty plates off our table and was pleasant. The price is right, the food is good and the selection is great.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I'm astonished by how popular this place is. I went there twice, even though the very smell of the place was off-putting, because others in my party wanted to try it.

The first time I went, the place literally had several serious hazardous conditions present in the public spaces. There were multiple spots where there was slippery material on the floors. I watched as, time and again, the staff passed by all these spots, apparently not concerned about cleaning them up. It was disgusting and the food on display also looked disgusting. What was worse, and very serious, was that there was an obvious and extremely bad gas leak that filled the dining areas with gas. I'm not talking a little whiff off a fondue pot. I'm talking risk of major explosion from the slightest spark. I couldn't believe my eyes to see people sitting there eating in the fumes. The restaurant should have been evacuated and closed. We left, obviously.

You'd think after that I'd never go back, but under duress from a friend with a coupon, I agreed to go again. I figured I would just eat salad, as long as the place wasn't about to explode. To my surprise, there was one good cook manning the steak and shrimp bar. Sadly, the material he had to work with sucked, pathetic "steaks" of gristle, and tiny, aged shrimp. He worked them as best as anyone could. Otherwise, the buffet offerings were truly hideous. Who wants to consume food scraped from bins that actually looks scabby because it is old, dried out, and nasty? The salad bar likewise looked downright dangerous, with dried out, wrinkly, sunken, and browned produce. After wandering around wondering what I could eat, I settled on a small spoon of mac and cheese, but only because the ruination in front of me happened to be replaced with a fresh batch as I passed. I also tried a small spoon of mashed potatoes, and some greyish green beans that were falling apart from being cooked to death. None of this food had any flavor whatsoever, and I didn't even finish eating it. As to the "famous chocolate fountain", awesome if you like something resembling seriously watered down and gritty Hershey's chocolate syrup running off a dried out marshmallow, leaving a poo colored stain. In this place, you're brave to consume anything that has been inserted into this open, running sludge. None of the other desserts were equal to a Hostess Ding-Dong in quality. Heck, even the sodas, which are over-priced, were practically flat from lack of carbonation.

I know my review sounds harsh, but these websites are meant to help people decide on the quality of places. Not everyone comes from the same background, so these evaluations vary. I am blessed to come from a region where abundant and excellent dining venues were the norm, whether inexpensive or luxury establishments. Therefore, of course I will judge restaurants based upon my past experience. So my review is for those people who, like me, have a certain expectation of reasonable food safety and quality even from a low-cost restaurant. We know it can be done because we've been to such places. This is not one of those places. I would say, don't even bother going to try it, unless your willingness to eat literally anything, in any condition, is strong.

2  Thank Hap P
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We haven't been here recently but the last time, and there is a reason it was the "last time" the place was filthy! If all you want is a lot mediocre food at a low price then go for it. I actually called it to the attention of the manager that the women's rest room was so dirty it was intolerable and his reponse was that they have a company steam clean it .... I told him he wasn't getting his moneys worth.

1  Thank Mable S
Reviewed 29 July 2013

If you have a number of people in your party with varying tastes, this is the place to go. They have various specials and a very large selection of veggies. The children will love the chocolate fountain complete with fruit and pieces of cake to use for dipping.

1  Thank carolyn685
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Saturday night 6/15 line at door, dirty tables everwhere, no plates or clean silverware, ribs, chicken and steak wait for all. The place was a hot mess, sanitation levels low, visible from garbage out back as you pull up. No paper towels in ens roos, help yourself there in the cabinet. Desert table almost empty, and usually have some staff to serve that also. You were not ready for business of any kind, night before fathers day. This is suppose to be a buffet, well you had to wait for it all, a very poor example of a restaurant and I cannot approve of this place at all, GO TO MCDONALDS before here.

4  Thank Chris5038