“Disappointed with the Oysters”
Review of Village Oyster Bar - CLOSED

Village Oyster Bar
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My Wife and I were looking for a nice water front lunch at the Fishermen's Village in Punta Gorda. There were four to select from among the shops. We decided to try some seafood. One would think that ordering Oysters in a place called the Village Oyster Bar would result in a good experience. At best, the oysters I had were blah, only warm, soggy and not good to be blunt.

I noticed the person at the table next to us had Oysters as well and only ate half of them. Most people were eating burgers. My wife had shrimp and they were fried in the same batter as the oysters and were equally not so good.

The outside seating was nice except for the wild cat that kept slinking through the eating area. The wait staff were all very attentive and nice. Just the food was not so great. The other reviews all seem to be either OK or Great. so maybe the last three reviews, our included have hit a bad time for the kitchen staff.

I would suggest one of the two restaurants at the end of the pier for your lunch or a nice evening meal. They looked to be much better and perhaps the oysters are much better.

1  Thank Tom T

Reviewed 28 April 2014

One bun was mouldy, complained, but no offer of another bun, appitizers with small and tasteless

1. I ordered a seafood platter of 4 items a potato, All seafood items were deep fried/soft and greasy, expected crispy batter. Fish was tasteless. Boxed it up and took it back to our rented house, eventually, through it away.

2. Wine was n quite small glasses

3. My Daughter ordered the soft shell crabs and shrimp .Again as above, soggy and tasteless, again it was boxed.

4.Wife was the only one satisfied with her stuffed flounder (crab meat)

This for $100 US

CJ

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stopped here while visiting from Massachusetts and had some clam chowder and burgers. Chowder was nothing special. More potatoes than clams. Granted we are from N.E. and are very particular about our chowder! The burgers were great! Very tasty and filling and cooked perfectly. The sweet potato fries were also very good. Service was mediocre. Waitress forgot some things we ordered and really didn't seem like she wanted to be there. We would visit again if there but not make a special trip.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I was looking for nice night out on the town and found this place. The wait staff was great and food was out of this world. In 40 Restaurant I have been in SWFL this has been the best. I will be making this a number one spot to go to. A great table and the sunset was the best. The were busy but worth the 20 min wait on a Friday night. Also get plenty of good food for you money, still snacking on it today, still good. I would suggest this place if you are down here on vacation Then the Fisherman's Village has a bunch of great shops and live music. Had a great night out and a great place. (They even got me to try frog leg's it was okay not chicken to me) lol

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Wait staff & food have kept us coming back 18 years views with occasional dolphin sightings second to none hope to have at least 18 more