“Thanksgiving buffet ..”
Review of Captain's Table

Captain's Table
Reserve with OpenTable
Captain's Table is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 162 Restaurants in Punta Gorda
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Marion Ave
Description: The Captain's Table located in Fisherman's Village Waterfront Mall, Resort & Marina in historic and beautiful Punta Gorda, Florida. Come enjoy the stunning views of Charlotte Harbor with the freshest gulf seafood, hand-cut steaks and dishes from our award-winning chef. It is the perfect pairing of ambiance and seasonal flare.
Hampton, New Hampshire
“Thanksgiving buffet ..”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We made a reservation through Open Table for 2:30pm. The day before Thanksgiving we received an email confirming our reservation for 2:00 pm. We called the restaurant and was told they had 'specific' seat times - noon; two; four and so we should arrive at 2:00 pm. I don't know if this confusion/problem is with Open Table or the restaurant, but we altered our plans a bit and arrived at 2:00pm.

The restaurant is at the end of Fisherman's Village … so it is a bit of a walk from the parking area (although you can drive up to the door and drop people off). The restaurant is on the 2nd floor. Upon arriving there was a line of people in the lobby area. We assumed these were other people with 2 o'clock reservations, so got in line. After waiting 5 or so minutes we noticed groups of people arriving; walking past the line we were standing in and not coming back out. We then began to wonder if this line was for people without reservations --- waiting for an available table (because we were not moving forward at all).

I went up to the front desk and found a woman at the front of the line who was having a problem with her reservation. The host staff couldn't find her reservation. There were 3-4 people apparently 'working' on this problem. I found one young girl just standing there so I asked her where we were to go if we had 2o'clock reservations. She told me to go back, wait in line and we would be seated in the order we arrived. She apologized but said tables hadn't cleared from the earlier seating. So, I went back and stood in line for another 10 or so minutes.

As we stood there we could hear people around us also confused and wondering what was going on because we continued to see other large parties come in - walk past the line - and apparently get seated (because they didn't come back out). After waiting a bit more (and still not moving) I sent my daughter to the front desk to see if she could get any additional information.

She went to the hostess desk; said we had a reservation for 6 at 2pm and that our whole party was here. We were then told to come forward and were immediately seated. It was obvious they were totally disorganized; they did have individuals from the first seating that hadn't cleared out; they didn't know what tables were available and what tables were still occupied (it was pretty chaotic).

Once we were seated we had a waiter come and take our drink order and explain where the buffet was set up. He was fabulous (I wish I had asked his name)… he kept our drinks full and quickly whisked away any dirty plates.

The Food: I thought the food tasted good. There was a buffet section for salad; rolls; pasta-type salads and desserts (boston cream pie - ok; chocolate chip type cheesecake (very good); lemon poppy seed cake (pretty good) … didn't try the others. There was another buffet line for the main food. I never went through this because I didn't want to wait in line. When you have 'planned seatings like this of course everyone is there at the same time and therefore trying to get through the buffet line at the same time'. AND you could only access the food from one side … so it was one person through at a time. I simply asked my family members to load up on the food and I took food off their plate. I thought the food was good …. roast beef (very good); mashed potatoes (creamy and good); green beans; turkey; stuffing.

The view was gorgeous. The stores at Fisherman's village are all decorated for Christmas and there are some really pretty and fun decorations. If the Captain's Table could figure out their reservation system and stagger their patrons I would go back. If they continue with the specific seating times, then it might not be worth it. You want Thanksgiving to be relaxing and enjoyable, not stressful and harried.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank travelwhenican57

Abbotsford, Canada
“Cancelled our reservations”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Made Thanksgiving reservations two weeks in advance. Received a call the night before Thanksgiving saying they had overbooked and our reservation was cancelled. Offered to have us sit outside with temps in the 60s and windy ... or come at a time which was convenient for them but not for us.

Won 't be going back.

• Visited October 2013
Punta Gorda, FL
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible service and marginal food”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The service is horrible...this is not our first visit but it will be our LAST. Wait staff was rude, food was not great. Very disappointing. Great view off the deck though.

Visited October 2013
Hickory Corners, Michigan
“Good food, beautiful view.”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

It was a nice walk through Fisherman's Village to the restaurant which is upstairs with a great harbor view. All the stores were decorated for the Holidays, and the crowds were not bad at all. We were promptly seated by an attentive and knowledgeable waitress, Maria. We split a tasty shrimp cocktail of 5 large gulf shrimp with a tangy sauce. It was ice cold and just about perfect. We visited the salad bar and found it had beets which we love. That was a plus. My companion ordered the salmon, which arrived with crispy vegetables and potatoes. It was a large slab of salmon and absolutely mild and perfectly cooked. I ordered the pork barbeque and it had the same sides. It wasn't quite as expected, but very good. A tawny port finished the meal. It was quite windy yesterday and we got to watch the boats coming and going and rocking their way across Charlotte Harbor. Would I return...yes, and I would recommend this place to anyone who enjoys good food and ambiance.

• Visited November 2013
Punta Gorda, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A wonderful place!”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Everything about this restaurant is excellent...food, service, atmosphere, view, etc. You can't ask for much more. I have booked it for a party of about 13 for the end of October. I know all my guests will love it.

• Visited October 2013