Mount Edge Guest House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Strawberry Hill(Kingston)
Great 4.5/5
Starlight Chalet & Health Spa(Blue Mountains National Park)
Good 3.5/5
Mayfair Hotel(Kingston)
  • Pool
Indies Hotel(Kingston)
Good 3.5/5
All reviewsblue mountainsmount edgeguest housethe ownerplace to staylaid backmichael foxmy friendlove this placebeautiful settinganother guestcoffee farmkingstonrastaroadrobynviews
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 August 2010

We stopped here for lunch and a day of relaxation - a getaway from Kingston... AMAZING views.. relaxing atmosphere... wonderful people. Marva is a wonderful cook... we had a delicious lunch and enjoyed the views while relaxing. I only glanced at one room which looked simple but clean and cozy. The rooms have views of the mountains.

Stay here if you want a nice communal atmosphere with spectacular views. This should be a destination for artists, writers, or laid back people looking to meet world travelers and relax!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We were recommended Mount Edge while looking for a place to stay in the Blue Mountains. If you want to meet the nicest person on the planet and pay an amazing rate for beautiful scenery, this is the place. If you are looking for Sandals, this isn't it. If you want to sleep in a private room and enjoy the part of Jamaica people live in, Mount Edge is the best Portland has to offer.

Michael was one of the highlights of our trip. I felt like he worked tireless to go above and beyond any question or request we had. Absolutely amazing. He even helped arrange travel for us from Kingston and to Port Antonio. I couldn't ask for more in a place to stay or from a host.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank alumbis
Reviewed 6 July 2010

We stayed a few nights in the house a half mile up the road. The house, the view and the nature surrounding us was stunning. Mount Edge itself is excellent too, which I would recommend to all, too.

The staff was so friendly and we enjoyed staying a day in Kingston with the boss, Michael. Thanks for the nice conversions and showing us the region!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank 1drop
Reviewed 9 June 2010

Having saved long & hard for my holiday, I was gutted when I heard about the unrest in Kingston. Rather than cancel, I called Mount Edge and spoke to the owner, Michael. I decided to travel and am very glad I did.

I could not have been made to feel more welcome, from the moment I stepped off the plane, until boarding again 10 days later. Michael picked me up at the airport himself – seems he is quite the local celebrity as his name was joyfully called out from just about every corner from the airport until we reached Mount Edge a short while later.

I choose Mount Edge because I wanted to experience the real Jamaica – the biggest crime on that island is that so many tourists never get to see beyond the high walls of the characterless compounds of big resort hotels – plastic Jamaica.

Mount Edge perches on the side of a gully, with the most incredible views over the Blue Mountains. The rooms are very basic, but clean, with crisp white linen. All around, the genius re-use/recycled design touches made the place feel more like an edgy, boutique eco-concept hotel than the rustic guest house it is.

What they don’t have, you don’t want. What you need, they have. I was particularly grateful for the free WIFI that enabled me to keep in touch with family back home.
I stayed in ‘View’ – a queen size bamboo four poster bed, stable-door leading to a balcony with the most awesome views imaginable. Well worth the few extra dollars to book this room.

The surprising Mr Fox also turns out to be a gourmet cook – using produce straight from the Mount Edge farm, he cooked the most incredible tasting versions of simple Jamaican classics. You don’t get much more organic than that.

Went on a few adventures too – day trip to a tiny island, coffee estate tour, rasta camp and an incredible day going from rum shack to rum shack, playing dominoes and mixing with locals. Sometimes, Michael acted as tour guide, other times it was Mikki – the most laid back, genuine and interesting guy you could meet.

The vibe in Mount Edge is amazing, beyond chilled. My favourite moment was reading Howard Marks autobiography, Mr Nice, and then finding a picture of Mr Marks sitting outside Mount Edge, with Foxy by his side. It’s that kind of place.

Can’t sign off without mentioning Marva – and her amazing freshly cut, freshly brewed mint tea every morning. Marva, Mikki and Foxy took the greatest care of me, making me feel like part of the family.

If you ever go to Jamaica, spend at least one night at Mount edge. If you are worried about going, then call ahead and speak to Michael to find out the latest on the island.

While I was there, he also organised some other places for me to stay on my tour around the island. I always felt safe, wherever I went.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank PeterLondon76
Reviewed 17 May 2010

This place is perfection, inspiring , warm hearted, and a must if you fly into kingston.
I wish I spent more time to get to know the area. Michael Fox is a teacher of real jamaican tourism, and made our stay a memory we'll have for life. All the rooms have so much character and the food is quality. The air is fresh, the view is spectacular, the sound of the river at night is so relaxing.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple