“Please beware....worth the read...”

Monterey Condominium Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Redington Beach
Monterey Condominium Motel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Redington Beach
Reviewed 2 May 2014

In all our travels, this is the first time I have EVER felt the need to write a review about an experience at a hotel/motel. This experience however, warrants warning anyone considering this motel to please be cautious. My mother, two daughters and myself planned to stay here for 2 nights while we travelled down the coast the first week in March. When we arrived, the grounds and the pool area seemed well kept and were what you would expect from a small motel of that age. We stayed in Room 19 which is an end unit close to pool. Upon entering, we noticed that the 2 rooms didn't appear to be the cleanest but on closer inspection we were horrified. The bathroom mat was filthy and there were dark hairs beside the floor on the toilet and the wall. The corners of each room were full of debris and anything that had been swept looked like it had been pushed under the sofas in the living rooms and between the counters in the kitchen. The pillows on the sofas were covered in stains and were torn. The ceiling fans in both rooms had broken chains and did not work. The dishwasher did not work, nor did the remote. The lock on the door was broken and hanging off it's hinges. The windows and blinds were COVERED in what appeared to be black mold. I took a Lysol wipe and was able to clean a strip off. When we pulled out the sofa bed, we were horrified. Old crumbs and fragments scattered all over the floor. When we pulled out the blankets from the closet, they were indescribable. They were tattered and covered in stains from who knows what. When I attempted to use the small vacuum, it was completely clogged, hence the condition of the floors. I attempted to contact the manager several times the first evening with no response so I left her a letter in her mailbox for the next morning. The following day, the office was to open at 9 but there was still no sign of the elusive manager until after 11am. Even after several attempts to contact her and the letter we had left her she made no effort what so ever to contact us. When I went down to her office, she was on the phone and made no gesture at all to acknowledge us standing there. Even after she had completed her call she made no attempt to speak to me. Now believe me when I say I tried every attempt to be very calm and civil with this woman but it was like an episode from a reality show. She immediately became defensive and aggressive and attempted to twist everything I said to her. I work in a managerial position for years and have many men in my employment and this woman's "trucker mouth" would have embarrassed them. She had never even met my two daughter's ages 12 and 15 and even they didn't go unscathed in her attack calling them "spoiled brats!"
These children had done absolutely nothing nor had she had any type of contact but she felt the need in her venomous attack to sink to her lowest and bring children into it. Even the fact that my daughter stood there dumbfounded had no affect on her. I was actually embarrassed that she was witness to this type of irrational and unstable behaviour from a so called "business woman". When I asked to speak with the owner, she proceeded to tell me that she was the owner and the manager and the "CLEANER"...hence her defensive approach. She had obviously been down this path before with other clients and this would explain her irate behaviour...I'm sure it has been well rehearsed right down to accusing me of trying to get out of paying for the second night and encouraging me to "go write a review" which until that point I hadn't even thought of.
CANADIANS please avoid this one if you can!!! The sad part is that this entire incident could have been completely avoided had the manager had any class, returned our calls and handled the situation in a professional manner. If there are ANY good reviews about this place, they would have had to been written internally and not from real clients.
I am CONFIDENT this will be my last review because nothing could beat this but I really felt like I had to warn others about this and I'm sure from the above mentioned, it warrants the warning. If anyone requires photos, I do have some that I could share. Have a good vacation!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
24  Thank SMLehmann

Reviewed 9 June 2013

We just stayed at Monterey on the Bay because the normal motel we rent was booked. The pros: Its cheap, near the beach, has a pool and grill and Sheila, the manager is great. The cons: There is no consistency in the rooms and they are not well kept.

We stayed in room 18 and my brother in room 16. Both are studio efficiencies. The grounds are nice but the rooms... yikes. The dishes were not cleaned in the rooms so we had to rewash everything before we used it. Also, we found what looked like mice droppings in with the dishes/pots and pans. The places are all individually owned by different owners but make sure to ask Sheila for her recommendations on the best rooms to book. Also note, the place is not directly on the beach but is a few short steps to a very nice part of Redington Beach. Overall, we would not go back to the Monterey as there are cleaner more consistent options for the same price near by. Again, I will say the management is great.

Room Tip: We saw rooms 16, 18 and 20. Skip room 20 and go with room 18 if available. Otherwise room 16.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank nyctravelingirl
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Rented a studio at this motel. Very clean, excellent air conditioning. Our studio had a queen size bed and a pull out couch along with a kitchen (stove, fridge and mircowave) It is RIGHT by the beach, and the beach is GORGEOUS. Beautiful sand, and it is quiet. Not much to do in Redington Beach, but Indian Rocks Beach is about 5 kms away, and they have quite a few restaurants there. Would come here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank John L
Reviewed 29 March 2013

What a great place!!! So close to beach which is great for shell collecting and the sand....just like powder! Our condo had everything we needed, well equiped and plenty of room for our family of 5. Beautiful view of the canal outside our living room window. Easy trolly ride to Clearwater and Johns Pass. Everyone was helpful and friendly, would go back in a heartbeat. Highly recommend!!! Price is very reasonable considering the location, never thought we would find something under 1000. on the beach.

Room Tip: unit 1 was great... 1 king, 2 twin and a pullout sofa in living room
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank joanne p
Reviewed 25 October 2012

We had so much fun! Very clean little apartments. Ask for an updated one they have flat screens and new furniture. All units are individually owned. Very inexpensive for full kitchen! Pool heated and very clean. You just walk out the back of the pool and there is the beach down a lil walkway. Sooooo nice! Mother and daughter are the managers very accommodating you can even pay a small fee for a late check out. We will go here as often as we can. Oh and right across the street is Seabreeze restaurant very good and Sunset menu is awesome lot of food for little money.

Room Tip: Ask for updated room
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mom624
Reviewed 24 October 2011

This condo is avery small (I think about 18 rooms) and one level. Each room has a kitchen and is air conditioned. There is a very nice grass area between building for meeting other guests and barbecue. The pool is very nice!
And - just a short hike away - is the wonderful, clear, super warm ocean! Ta da! And that's why you want to come here.
It's a good value - so close to the beach for not much money.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
#1 of 3 in Redington Beach
Coconut Villas
Coconut Villas
#2 of 3 in Redington Beach

Been to Monterey Condominium Motel? Share your experiences!