“Not a good experience, will not recommend or return!”

East Anglian Railway Museum
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Chappel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A family friendly, living, breathing railway museum. Immerse yourself in a real steam railway museum and get up close and personal to our wide collection of steam trains, diesel locomotives and vintage carriages. Celebrate an exciting period in railway history! Our atmospheric Victorian buildings, restored trains and working signal boxes tell a unique story of a time when the railway was the largest employer in the region.
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I researched this museum online, which reported it was open and there would be a train operating.I had my Father staying with me of 86,and I am physically disabled and it assured me it was appropriate for us.On entering we needed to go up steps there was only 1young man on duty, we never the whole museum encountered any other staff.On line it informed me there was a resteraunt in an old carriage where I thought we could have lunch.Unfortunatly my Father is a diabetic and therefore needs to eat regularly,the only place open was ,behind the entrance desk ,where the only member of staff,who had just issued our tickets to enter ,also had to make tea and the only thing to eat was a toasted cheese sandwich and pasties which I had and asked for sauce, and was given a sachet of out of date tomato sauce!
The museum also had several areas closed and no trains to ride on, again advertised on the net!
For disabled people it has a bridge over the track which is impossible and tracks to get over ,again not easy.
Never visit this museum if you have any physical problems and never clearly when it is oct.

1  Thank Kay T
There are newer reviews for East Anglian Railway Museum

Reviewed 23 September 2013

It doesn't seem to be a very big attraction, but once inside there is a lot for your attention if you are interested in railways. It lacks the quantity of engines that are found in other museums but has a lot to offer.
We particularly liked the signal box and lunch in the carriage.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

We had a lovely day out,The staff and volunteers were lovely and worked hard to keep everyone away from the edge of the platform.There were 4 trains for the children to go on but the most popular one was Thomas.The Fat Controller and his helpers had little buckets filled with water and were passing them to the children to fill Thomas up which they enjoyed.
The prices in the shop were not to expensive which makes a nice change as over venues are very dear.
A good day out.
The First Aid people were very kind and caring.
Would go back again next year for another visit.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

We went here for a Day Out With Thomas. The staff/volunteers are lovely and work very hard, the place itself is very nice, but it is let down a lot by the lack of track. Had I known how little track there was I would have booked for another venue as it makes for LOTS of waiting around while trains swap over and a not-very-exciting view from the window as you basically just go backwards and forwards up the same piece of track. My daughter still enjoyed herself but I can't help but feel we would have got more for our money at one of the other venues. Also if you want to take buggies on to the platforms you have to lift them up, then down, lots of steps.

1  Thank TravellerNearLondon
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Sweet little museum which I would probably describe more as a discovery centre then a 'museum' exactly.

Basically you wander around the train yard discovering different areas, for this reason the weather needs to be reasonable to get the best out of it. Not sure it would have been very good if raining.

There is a mouse hunt [find the little toy mouse throughout all the exhibits] and three different I-spy sheets to keep kids focussed. In the furthest display hall there are lots of different interactive displays to do various investigations with. It's been well thought out and should appeal comfortably to most primary aged children.

In the repairs shed we met an engaging mechanic who told us all sorts of fascinating information in a chatty way and got my 7 year old really enthused on some of the railway history. Seems a bit random as to who you will stumble across as it seems to be mostly run by volunteers so there are no real guides to speak of.

We went today specifically because the website had advertised a special 'minirail' day. This was probably the only disappointing bit, as you just go back and forth on a straight bit of track for a couple of minutes for 50p each, nothing special at all really.

Minirail aside, this was a very appealing little museum and it kept my son interested for over 2 hours straight with no complaints. At £7 for 1 adult and 1 child, this was good value for money.

Would certainly recommend for a change of pace at a cheap price.

2  Thank DK1bunny