“Not up to "par" (It's in a golf clubhouse.)”

Cypress Creek Golf Club Restaurant
Ranked #42 of 57 Restaurants in Ruskin
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 29 January 2012

The scenario.....a golf club formal dining room with classical music in the background, well-dressed tables with white tablecloths and standard restaurant dinnerware. The room however is strangely devoid of decor (which has nothing to do with the food, just an observation). They also have a less formal lounge and bar area where they offer "bar food" and all you can eat specials throughout the week.

This was actually the fourth meal at this restaurant. The first was with a group and we had "banquet style" lunches...shall I say more?

The second visit was with a gal friend for dinner. We did not have reservations, but at 4:30 p.m. we arrived to find the main dining room empty, but still waited a little under ten minutes to be seated. We were pleased to find they had an early bird special, which we both ordered and we both gave it "4 stars".

The third visit was with my husband (an avid golfer) for the early bird. We made a reservation for Friday evening and were seated promptly. We had a very pleasant and efficient server (Kathy I believe, although she had a mishap at another table that evening involving a glass of red wine and a customer. I ordered the mussels and my husband had the duck....both excellent choices. The fellow busing tables was exceptional and very attentive (I believe his name was Juan..forgive me if I'm wrong on this.)

That being said, we decided to try the much acclaimed prime rib Wednesday night special. We made a reservation and were seated promptly. Our server arrived within minutes and introduced herself. She took our cocktail order and asked if we had questions. We said we were both going to try the prime rib. We didn't think giving our dinner order along with the drink order would be problematic, but. Within seconds, our salad arrived (before the cocktail). Two bites into the salad "the above-mentioned Juan" arrived with our entree. (He had been promoted to a server, for good reason.) We still don't have our wine, A steak knife would have been helpful too. The baked potato was cold and there was no salt on the table. The wine arrived..yeah! Everything was corrected, but we still felt like we had run a marathon. Total time from start to finish...a record 29 minutes! So much for the leisurely night out of the kitchen. We are well-seasoned seniors and assumed (although mistakenly) to say....we are in no hurry for our meal...but for G..... sake bring us the alcohol.

1  Thank gloria w