“Great for inactive people”

The Inn at Little Harbor
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Ruskin
Reviewed 8 July 2008

Little Harbor is a developers dream on ex-indian reservation land. You get to see some really dumpy properties on the way in. It was meant to be just retirement condos and such then they decided to add a little hotel to let people stay while they were trying to sell them. You can rent the unsold condos too.
The rooms are very nice..some are bit more cramped than others but they do have little kitchens with dishwasher and tiny fridges even in the smallest ones.
If you just want to look at the ocean and nap it is a great place.
The bar closes at like 9pm and everyone goes to bed.
If you want to go to town to eat or go out...be careful. There are few places to eat or even places you would want to go into. The bars looked scary and from the ramshackle look of the town..this is a very poor area.
Maybe because I come from an area where even the poorest properties look neat and clean I see things this way. I have noticed that some of my southern cousins are ...well...unkempt.
You really need to drive into Tampa to eat, shop or go out.
Honestly, the place is great for retired people who don't do anything or maybe honeymooners who never leave their room or want to lay on the beach. It would be good for a family reunion too.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Valerie17

Reviewed 16 June 2008

Overall the place was fantastic. I was with my wife & 2 year old son. We stayed in a 1-bedroom "condo" that was incredible. It was at least 1100 sq ft and had a gorgeous view of the marina and bay. It had granite countertops, new furniture, a great balcony and full kitchen. They even gave us a crib & hi-chair for no additional cost.

There was a pool loctaed right below us as well as two more closer to the office. The bigger pool by the office has a slippery deck, be careful, my son had quite a fall. The beach is small but perfect for what we needed, a place to play in the sand.

The restaurant was very good but a little pricey for every meal.

The staff was very nice & courteous, especially Tiffany, she was a blessing. She helped arrange the crib, hi-chair and about a zillion other questions we had.

The only reason I did not give this 5 stars was the location. Ruskin is a dinky town. There is a Wal Mart about 10 miles away but for the most part there are a lot of Ma& Pop type operations in town. We ate at several of them restaurants in town and they were good but for turisty type shopping, you need to head to St. Pete Beach which is about 30 minutes.

We have already decided to go back down there in 3-5 years once the resort is bigger and Ruskin grows a little more.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Newbass
Reviewed 7 June 2008

We stayed at this resort late April/2008. When we arrived, the desk clerk checked her files & then had to contact housekeeping. She was told the room wouldn't be ready for 45mins to an hour.(We booked this at least 2mos+ in advance). I asked the girl what we were to do in the meantime.(It's at least 1/2 hour from anything). She replied "go take a swim". We went & had dinner. When we got to the room, housekeeping obviously did nothing. The kitchen counters were filthy, the table had food stuck to it. The manager came to the room at least & tried to soothe things over with a free breakfast. The initial check-in was such a bad experience, I couldn't wait to get out of there. In their defense, the staff at the restaurants were very friendly & gracious.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank sonnee
Reviewed 26 May 2008

Everything about this resort exceeded my expectations. I was afraid that this resort would turn out to be "to good to be true," but I was extremely satisfied. My group and I stayed in a two-bedroom condo unit, which was spectacular. It had two bedrooms and two baths, a full kitchen, living room, balcony, and upstairs lounge, as well as a washer and dryer in the room. I cannot comment on the regular hotel rooms, but I'm sure they are equally as nice. The pools, jacuzzis, and fitness center were all very clean. It was great to have a private beach right outside the door, and I definitely recommend using the on-site watersport rentals (the jet-skis were great!). The food at the sunset grill and lounge was surprisingly good; I ate there many times and was never disappointed. The tiki bar was normally priced with some good bartenders. I finally was able to find a decent Mai-Tai! The staff was extremely helpful and courteous. For example, I was looking to rent some fishing poles for the day, which they do not offer, but a few of the maintenance employees dropped off some of their own fishing poles and bait at the front desk for me to use. Great customer service! I would recommend this resort to anyone looking to combine a laid-back and relaxing experience with the multiple activities that near-by Tampa and St. Petersburg has to offer.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 1 May 2008

This is a beautiful resort. Great rooms; ours had a nicely stocked kitchenette, with all of the cooking utensils you need. The staff were very friendly and the grounds well maintained. The restaurant was great and very resonably priced. The food came to table nicely prepared and the waitstaff were all helpful and friendly. We were there for 5 days. One day after coming back from a very nice fishing trip, (which we booked at the marina) we found our room had not been cleaned. I called the front desk to complain & they immediately sent someone with fresh towels & linens. Not only that, but the offered free dinner that night, which came to $135. Great customer recovery!
The 'but'...this place is really in the middle of nowhere. Though they say it is 20 miles from Tampa, they mean the outskirts. It was about 40 miles from the airport. There was nothing to do outside of the resort, and the town of Ruskin appeared somewhat 'rundown'. Aside from that this is a great place for families with young toddlers or older couples looking to just relax. All in all great bang for the buck.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ambopat
Reviewed 20 April 2008

In Florida for business in Tampa. Found the resort through Travelocity. GREAT pricing for what you get. VERY nice and clean rooms. We tried both standard and deluxe, I would suggest the upgrade and to stay in the main building with the office. The deluxe room was pretty big and was super clean. Great staff. Thanks Sabrina!! The housekeepers were even friendly. The restaurant has some really good food that is not your common everyday bland stuff...decent pricing too. The overall atmosphere was truly relaxing. Truly. I got to jet ski in the bay...in Februaury...WOW...water temp was like 65..I was in shorts and a life vest..and sunglasses..wear them..salt water can sting. You can charge it to the room! New skis and powerful too! The waitstaff at the restaurant/sports bar was VERY friendly..even after days of being there. We stayed five. It was about 30 minutes out of Tampa..nice...considering the pricing and the other area hotels were...well...less than appealing. I would definately stay again!!

Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed 17 March 2008

My wife and I live in the Tampa Bay area, and I booked this as a little getaway for our anniversary.

Upon arrival, we found that the property was not well marked, and the hotel is difficult to find. Basically, you will see a building that looks like a hotel- Don't be fooled- Just keep driving, veer right, and you will arrive at the hotel. You will notice this is not a resort. It is a "Motel" style, drive up and park in front of you room type building.

At Check-ion, the staff was friendly, and explained where to park and where the restaurants were.

The room itself was very nice. Comfortable King size bed, Asian sytle decor, large tile floor, kitchenette with mini-fridge, and an Ice cold window air conditioning unit.

The restaurant "Sunset Grille" (I believe that's the name) is good for Beach style cuisine. As it was out anniversary, and not what we had in mind, we decided not to eat at Little Harbor.

The property itself was a very nice setting, and the Hotel was nice, just not what we had in mind, or what their web-site would lead you to believe. This is a great place if you have family in the area, or need somewhere to stay while your boat is in the harbor. I felt the discounted rate of $199.99/night + Tax was high.

Also, visitors from outside Tama Bay need to understand that this propety is on Tampa Bay, not the Gulf of Mexico. If you are lookign for sparkling blue water, you will not find it here.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TJ_Gato
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruskin
Harborside Suites at Little Harbor
Sleep Inn & Suites Riverfront - Ellenton
Red Roof Inn Tampa Brandon
Hilton Garden Inn Tampa / Riverview / Brandon
Pirates Pointe Resort

Been to The Inn at Little Harbor? Share your experiences!