“Spa is overrated.”

Safety Harbor Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Safety Harbor
“Spa is overrated.”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I live locally and have only been to the Safety Harbor Resort and Spa a few times to eat and then to the spa. This property is in need of a major facelift. The overall decor, and space is very outdated. I was given a gift certificate to the spa, which is advertised as World Renowned. I have been to spas all over the USA and outside the country and while spas differ from place to place the overall ambiance, mood and service is consistent. The spa has a feel of a glorified locker room. There are high school boys working the desk and offer no assistance. I was not escorted through the spa doors and became completely turned around. The relaxation room where you wait is anything but relaxing. Outdated chairs from the 1980s and women walking around with a cooler on wheels refilling ice in the water coolers. The massage rooms are very outdated, the blankets are old and I was uncomfortable getting on the table. The manicure and pedicure area is separate from other spa services, which is fine, but you have to walk thru a public area in your robe which is uncomfortable. The nail area if old and outdated as well and the service is average at best. I will not be going back there as there are better spas in the Tampa area that make you feel pampered for start to finish. They automatically charge gratuity onto your service which I was not made aware of at the time of my booking. When you compare the price for the services and the service you received......it is overpriced. My recommendation........go elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Rica603

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Dania Beach, Florida
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Great resort, great location with great view. Right next to marina and walking distance from main st with all the restaurants and bars. Safety Harbor is cool little town sanctuary on the water in pinellas county. This is an old resort and is noticeable but still beautiful, a VERY large property.

Room Tip: All the rooms with bay view are the only way to go!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Vincenzo R
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Pros-
*reasonable room price for quality of room
*the location of the hotel was close to downtown Safety Harbor

Cons-
*The wifi service included in the $16 resort fee was very poor. My iPad dropped service every few minutes and I was unable to pick up any good cell service. I called three (813) numbers and they were all charged to the room as long distance. Each call was under a minute and when we checked out each call was over $10 totaling over $30 in fees. I called the front office telling them that I was unable to make any local calls. He asked if they were 813 numbers and I said "yes". He told me to just try to hit the area code first. At no time did he say "those are considered long distance calls". For those of you that don't know, the 813 area code is a few miles away. We complained about this at check out and the lady told us that when she stays at hotels she never uses the room phones.
*I called the spa over a week in advance to schedule a couples massage. When we showed up for our couples massage, they told us that no appointment was showing up. After several minutes, they realized that they booked us in the wrong year and month. We still didn't think it was a problem until they told us "sorry" and that there were no massages available until after our stay. We were shocked. Eventually, the manager was able to have a massage therapist stay late to provide one massage for one of us at 5pm. We planned our day around the massages so it was a huge inconvenience and they felt no need to find any other ways to accommodate us other than to say they were "sorry" for making the mistake. When my husband called the front desk to speak to the general manager/supervisor of the hotel, he told us the spa was a separate entity and that we had to speak to the manager there (which we did and didn't get anywhere). I was ready to leave the hotel at that time but we thought we could still stay and enjoy the spa. As we tried to enjoy our day at the spa, we were disappointed to see that the whirlpools were under construction and that that the indoor pool was drained. It smelled bad and lacked many amenities that we paid for with the resort fee.
*The overall organization of the hotel was disorganized. When I would call the front desk for questions, they seldom answered. When they did pick up, they seemed rushed and would transfer me to someone else who could not answer my questions. I mentioned that no one was picking up calls and I was told that there were four people working behind the desk and that if I called again someone would answer...
*The elevators either didn't work or you had to wait more than the five minutes we would give it to open up. I am 8.5 months pregnant and I had to use the stairs the whole time.

I would not recommend this place until all the construction was done and it is under new management.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Ashlee M

Travellers are raving about these Safety Harbor hotels

Palm Harbor
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Stayed just one night 12/30 in a junior suite. Very nice great balcony with view of Tampa Bay. Spa was decorated for the Holiday. The only down side was the Spa. Had a great massage than after headed to the sauna and then the steam room both great. I headed next to the indoor pool and to finish with the jacuzzi. That did not happen. As I approached the door to the pool there was a sign telling you "sorry under construction". It sure would of been nice if someone could of told us this in advance, wow a spa without both jacuzzi's and indoor pool out for renovation right in the middle of the winter holiday season. Why not have this done during the slow summer months. Please check before you go if those amenities are important to you. Great stay otherwise.

Room Tip: Stay in the upper levels for a great view of the bay. South end of the property is quiet and you als...
4 Thank sheddjr
Port Charlotte, Florida
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Great Location: close to Ruth Eckert Hall and the Phillies's Spring Training Facility. Overlooks Tampa Bay!

Historic Hotel built on the site of five springs. Cute little main street area with pubs and eateries!

Sounds like a dream vacation, and that's why I booked a get away weekend at the Safety Harbor Resort.

This hotel has problems. The first room they offered us had a loud a/c with black around the intake. The room was musty and made my eyes and throat itch. Staff found us another room. I didn't notice any black mold but did notice the dehumidified in the room. Our second room was clean and seemed to have been redone recently.

Hall ceiling tiles were stained, carpet in hall was discolored and scruffy.

When we checked out we were surprised by a $16 per day resort fee? Front desk refused to waive the fee. BEWARE OF ADDED FEES !!! Had booked on Expedia and didn't expect that because the check in clerk acknowledged that our room as paid in full.

Room Tip: We had booked bayfront room with balcony. Ask to see room before you agree to stay. First room in...
2 Thank carol k
Eagles Mere, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I am taking time out of my vacation to share w/ other travelers the true disappointment in our stay at Safety Harbor. The setting and location of the the resort is wonderful, sitting right on the bay with outstanding views. The hotel seems to have a great history with the natural mineral springs, but they are next to impossible to find. We arrived at the hotel shortly after 3PM #1 The room was not ready and we were told to come back at 4 PM which is the guaranteed check in time. However at the same time people are checking in with the same room type as ours. The desk clerk said to go downstairs and take a tour of the spa, which we did, there were employee's everywhere and none acknowledged our presence, we then went to the desk at the spa and a nice gentleman gave us directions to the pool and whirlpool tubs, the gift shop was barren with hardly any products, there were homemade signs from a printer, which gives the impression the spa is unprofessional. We made are way to the pool and saw that it was drained and under construction, which surprised us, by this time we had spoken to three different employees who all gave us directions to the indoor pool, but none of them informed us that it is temporarily closed, after a half an hour around 3:30 PM we went back to the front desk they said the room still wasn't ready, I then suggested that maybe we could check into the same room type at that point they couldn't do that, also we mentioned that it was unfair to charge the resort fee if the pool and hot tubs were closed, We spoke with the general manager and she concurred and allowed us to check-in early to the same room type of room that happened to be ready. The over all condition of the hallways seemed to be a bit tired and we noticed visible dust on the mirrors. The elevator was extremely slow and a bit worn in appearance. We arrived at the room which was very large with a balcony and great view of the bay, we had a king bed, desk and chair, TV with stand and single uncomfortable chair, the wall was totally barren it looked as if furniture was missing. The condition of the furniture was very worn the seat on the desk chair was torn. The room didn't feel clean, however after travelling all day we decided to spend the night, but not the additional 2 night we had booked, the manager said she would remove the charges for the additional nights. We had a great dinner in the charming town and went to check out the following morning and found that they had not removed the charges that the manager said she would take off. We waited for over an hour for the manager to arrive and after many discussions she removed the charges for the additional nights and the resort fee. We booked this vacation to stay at a great historic spa resort to unwind and relax for a few days, but instead had the worst travel experience we have ever had, we are not picky and usually overlook minor things, but we found the unprofessional skills of the front desk staff and the manager and the dirty dingy overall feeling of the resort is unacceptable in 2013. We will never go back. Happy trails to all!

Room Tip: The rooms look nothing like the images that they post!
5 Thank doug r
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Beautiful grand entrance for this historic resort. Common areas in the buildings have been updated with fresh decor and paint. However, the carpets in the halls and rooms look old and worn (dated). The rooms have been refurbished with fresh linens, paint and bath fixtures. The room decor seemed plain. No pictures or decorative pieces on the walls.
The dining options were nice from room service to the lounge to the Fountain Grille. The food quality and portions were excellent. We were on a dining plan which was not explained well (ie, options). Be aware if you are on a dining plan, your service at the restaurant may not be consistent from server to server. The workout facilities were well maintained and many options for those that like to workout on their own or with a class. The fitness area could use an update...carpeted gym floors. Plenty of outdoor options for a workout. There is a bike/walking/running trail outiade the front entry. The spa facilities and treatments were top notch. Book ahead of time. Make sure you schedule some pampering for yourself!!!

Overall, a nice place to stay and relax!!

• Stayed December 2013
#25 of 98 in Clearwater
Mar Bay Motel & Suites
Mar Bay Motel & Suites
#2 of 3 in Safety Harbor

Been to Safety Harbor Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!