“over rated”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Safety Harbor
Clearwater, Florida
“over rated”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I remember seeing this place as a prize on Wheel of Fortune when I was a kid. It may have been nice then but I totally would feel jipped if I were sent there on a luxury vacation. The restaurant is gross. The pool area has seen better days. The halls are damp and ancient. The salon is overpriced.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Oldsmar
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My family and I went over the Fourth of July weekend, and I had the worst experience we have ever had at an hotel/resort. The service was terrible they were all really annoyed when u asked for something. They closed the pool for over an hour on Fourth of July. We had friends who were also staying there in different rooms and had one of their room flood. The hotel did nothing to help them, didn't even let them switch rooms or get a discount. They had water stations at the end of the hall that didn't taste like clean water. The only good thing about the place is that it has a good view. I don't recommend staying there and I will never stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Emwasenda

Travellers are raving about these Safety Harbor hotels

Palm Harbor Florida
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My Husband and I stayed for 3 nights this week at the Safety Harbor Spa. We had a wonderful experience. Our room had a balcony and a view of Tampa Bay. Renee at the front desk checked us in and was welcoming and professional. We had many wonderful servers at the Fountain Grill restaurant including Jamie and Madeline who made our dinners enjoyable. The breakfast buffet was delicious and reasonable. The breakfast servers were very friendly and professional. The food quality and presentation was excellent. I took classes all 3 days of our stay. Mary, Penny, Debra, and Angelique are all amazing fitness instructors. I loved the yogalates class, Pilates, and Zumba. My Husband praised the weight room. The most amazing part of our visit was the fireworks display by the city of Safety Harbor. It was one of the best we have seen. If there was one thing that could improve in our room was to update the bed linens into something more modern. We do live the old world feel of the History Room where we relaxed several times. We had such a wonderful time that we have already made a reservation for next year!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Markardor
burbank
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I went there with my family for about a week, after Christmas. everybody was very kind, polite and super nice!! the restaurant is a bit small but u have an option to eat outside( if it's nice out) food was delicious!! location of this resort is the best! is quiet and very homey! they also have a little city right across the hotel with few restaurants and stores. you can also rent bicycles ( which I think is a bit pricey but worth of renting)
I don't agree that this place is only good for older people, it's great for anyone! can't wait to go back!!! loved it !

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank martawska
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Great place to spend the weekend. I stayed here with my sister for her birthday. Hotel amenities and accommodations were wonderful. Having the spa in the same location was great. The spa services and staff were awesome. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My best friend and I stayed here for girl's spa getaway. We agree with the other reviewer that the spa was not the best we have been to. The robes were itchy and the hallways were like a huge maze. The spa waiting room was uncomfortable and did not have the typical spa luxuries. My massage was terrible and one of the worst.

The rooms were ok but ours has a mildew smell and made our clothes damp. The bed was very comfortable though. We wanted a bay view but we on the first floor so it was really a tree view. The outdoor pool was nice but when we were there the Tiki bar was closed so if you wanted even so much as a drink of water, you had to walk all the way inside the hotel to the front lobby. Not fun when you are in your bathing suit lounging by the pool.

The gym was nice but the classes are definitely not for the active person. They are really great for first time gym goers which we were not. For us, the classes were way to basic.

We came hoping to be waited on and pampered. That was not the case at all. They didn't know we had an inclusive package when we checked in. We were never told how to use it. The staff at the restaurants were always confused by the inclusive cards. I wanted drinks delivered to me by the pool and soft comfy robes. Not here!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor with Bay View.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank jpollfl
East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed at this property for several days in conjunction with a family wedding. Fast easy check-in. Property is searched out over several acres, and took a few minutes to walk to our room from the lobby. Beautiful décor. Large comfortable room with great view of Tampa Bay from our windows and balcony. Warm clean pool. Excellent staff and food quality in the restaurant - breakfast and dinner. Easy walking distance to town square - restaurants, bars, and shops. Fantastic Bloody Mary's poolside - was like a salad in your drink. One problem reported in person to the front desk was being addressed even before we returned to our room.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
#10 of 32 in St. Pete Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,246 reviews

Been to Safety Harbor Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!