“Excellent Place to Get Away”

Safety Harbor Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Safety Harbor
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Excellent Place to Get Away”
Reviewed 23 October 2010

I have been going to Safety Harbor Spa for about 4 years now and I have never had a negative experience. It has been fully renovated-the rooms as well as the spa. The staff is very helpful. If you have problems finding your way around--just ask someone. Also, ask for a tour of the spa and fitness center if it's your first time staying. They are happy to give you a tour. The hotel restaurant is okay but there are a couple of great places within walking distance--try Green Springs-excellent food and sangria; also there is the Whistle Stop, and Charros. You may need reservations for Green Springs and Charros.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Connecticut
Reviewed 16 October 2010

We were here for a wedding. We were able to check in in a timely manner, but members of the wedding party had to wait 4+ hours while the cleaned a room. The parking is across the street in an unpaved lot which was difficult to navigate with a husband on crutches, a three year old, and lots of luggage with no help from staff. The spa is expensive for the services they offer, and the nail/ hAir room feels like an airplane terminal when a wedding party is around. On the flip side, there were some really great points - Doreen the bartender is a peach, the setting for a sunset wedding is great , the pool sparkles.

• Stayed October 2010
Cypress, Texas
Reviewed 14 October 2010

I've stayed at this location multiple times but only now getting around to a review. The hotel is well-located in the lovely little town of Safety Harbor. Many good shops, restaurants and things in the vicinity. You'll need a car if you want to go to the beach, though. The rooms are generally well-kept although I have noted housekeeping issues in common areas during many stays. The restaurant is ok. Bar service is very good. Spa amenities are nice, but they should include the fee in the room rate rather than having a mandatory additional spa fee. Free wifi is available. On weekends, parking can be very full, and you may have to walk a little if you don't use valet parking. Shop for good rates as they are out there.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Toronto
Reviewed 10 October 2010

I have stayed at this hotel twice this year. (April 2010 and Oct 2010) On our first trip we stayed in the 'Olympic' tower and our 2nd trip we stayed in the "Palm Pavilion"
I choose this hotel as my accommodation for a business trip. My spouse joined me and I wanted to ensure that she wouldn’t be bored while I was in my meetings. This hotel didn’t disappoint. My wife enjoyed the mineral springs, the spa and the pool. The staff are very friendly and helpful in sharing their knowledge of the area. (Where to eat, what to see, where to shop etc) In particular Petros at the front desk was fantastic. The rooms are clean and well appointed, the views of the harbour where spectacular. I don’t understand all the negative reviews, while this hotel isn’t new it is a charming tucked away place that offers relaxation with a feel for small town values.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
denver
Reviewed 15 September 2010

Do you like hot showers? Not here.
Do you like good service? Not here.
Do you like hotel rooms that smell like must and A/C that doesn't work? Stay here.
Do you like to sit in the lobby and have water drop on your head? Stay here.
There is too much to list. I travel a lot and can honestly say this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. It either needs new management and millions in renovations or to be scraped! DON'T STAY HERE IF YOU WANT A NICE VACATION. The only good thing is the setting in Safety Harbor and the swimming pool. Once upon a time this was a great property, but it is in bad shape and the employees are a poorly trained.

Before my stay I saw the great photos on the web site and thought, "Wow, this place looks great!". I have traveled every month for the last 12 years all over the country and this is honestly the worst hotel experience I have ever had in my entire life. When I checked in it was apparent that the hotel is run down and old, but the problems here run much deeper. The first night of my stay I woke up feeing dizzy and sick. I could not breath through my sinuses and felt nauseous. The odor in the room was overpowering and I could not sleep, so I went down to the front desk and told the front desk clerk and she didn't seem to believe me. I took her to my room and she said it smelled like it was deep cleaned with chemicals and she couldn't believe the odor. They swapped my room and I told them I was not paying for my room and they agreed. I hoped my stay would get better, but not.
The shower was cold water only. When I called the front desk they told me they did not know what I was talking about and I probably was not letting it warm up long enough. I ran into the maintenance man on my way to the lobby and I asked him and he told me the boiler was broke and would not be fixed until the next day. I asked the front desk again that night and was told they did not know of any problems! Later that night I talked to other hotel guest complaining about cold showers. The next day still cold showers and still lies from the front desk. I was actually told by the front desk manager, "Why don't you use the shower in the spa? It has hot water". I said, "I thought hot showers are a basic requirement to call yourself a hotel".
Do yourself a favor and steer clear.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank nmmi87

Travellers are raving about these Safety Harbor hotels

FL
Reviewed 6 September 2010

We stayed a week for our anniversary. I agree with previous comments that the staff(especially the front desk) felt like we were an inconvenience.The pre ordered fridge (that we paid extra for) was not in the room and when it was finally delivered it was dirty and noisy.We thought the bed was comfy. The restaurant was high priced which was too be expected, but food and service (not busy) was not worth the price.The experience with dining however, got us to find Landrys, Whiskey Joes and Sea Sea Riders! Yes, it is hard to find the inside ammenities that you have to pay extra for. We did have a beautiful view from our room that had a small balcony.Main street is quaint.The marina/park next door is beautiful and we were delighted to see a manatee with her baby right from the pier.
Don't use the valet. The parking is just as close..

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 4 September 2010

The Safety Harbor Resort and Spa clearly survives on the locals who are members of their Spa services. As a guest I felt like I was completely snubbed as a guest of the resort. Knowing that their business was down I asked the Spa receptionist if they were doing any deals this week. Her response was that I missed Two for Tuesday yesterday and they have no other specials throughout the week. When I asked for a tour of the facility (since my $16/day resort fee included some things) I was pawned off on a sweet older woman who had nothing better to do. Everywhere on the tour was staff who was doing nothing. Yet they weren't willing to give me a deal on the spa services--still perplexed over this one. Poor signage in the spa area got me turned around many times and the only people around seemed to be the locals to help direct me. Staff were very matter of fact with their directions--almost as if I was putting them out because I didn't know. Housekeeping in the room was fair--although we wanted to reuse our towels as suggested they were taken each time. We were confused about the water coolers that were on each floor without any cups and then we realized the 3rd day into our stay that the carafe in our room was for collecting the water--again poor signage and communication. Rooms were severely outdated but I've seen worse just not at a resort. The bathrooms were clean but small. Plenty of storage in the room though for a weeks stay--no more. We were fortunate to have a little patio on the ground level--this was nice, however we had to go and grab and extra chair that had made it's way over to our neighbors room. The carpet in the hallways was deplorable--if they were to make any future upgrades this is what I would recommend they do first. The usual amenities were available--a teeny tiny coffee maker, hair dryer, iron, etc. all in working condition. The free internet was a definite plus! There was much that was available within walking distance--the pier was awesome (saw some dolphin swimming about), restaurants (none of which I would wholeheartedly recommend), postal service, hair salons, etc. Main Street definitely needs a good quality restaurant and a cozy book store.
Overall I think my experience would have been 10 times better had the staff been more accommodating--the friendliest people we came across were the bartender at the tiki bar and one of the maintenance guys--both who gave friendly instructions to us. Oh yea and the beds were like sleeping on cardboard and the blanket they gave us since we didn't want to use the big down comforter smelled and didn't completely cover the large bed we had. Really disappointed when I found out they had no beach.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
#9 of 32 in St. Pete Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,242 reviews

Been to Safety Harbor Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!