“Wish we could have stayed longer!”

The Ancient City Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Augustine
The Ancient City Inn
Ranked #29 of 31 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“Wish we could have stayed longer!”
Reviewed 17 September 2012

My husband and I stopped in St Augustine for a night on our honeymoon in late July on our way home to SC from Key West. We just stumbled upon the Ancient City Inn on line and decided to stay for the night. I booked the room with Will over the phone a few hours outside of St Aug. We didn't make it there quite as quickly as I told Will we would arrive so he called me to make sure we were ok! I thought that was so kind! We stayed in Martha Lee's room. It was so clean and comfortable we just felt right at home! The house is in a perfect location, close enough to walk anywhere you would want to visit. It was absolutely perfect and we wish we could have stayed there all week! The best part of our night was the visit from Martha the ghost herself!!!! In the middle of the night I was awoken by the comforter on the bed hitting me over and over again in my face. At first I was annoyed because I thought my husband was doing it to mess with me. I rolled over to tell him to stop but stopped short because he was passed out cold with his back to me. So instead I just went back to sleep. The next morning we were talking to Will and Carrie and Carrie informed me that Martha likes to tuck people in at night. We didn't even know we were in Martha's room until the next morning! I got instant chills and shared my story with them. It was such a fun and unique experience an we can not wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: Stay in Martha's room!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I am no stranger to St. Augustine and have stayed at places that ranged from high end B and B 's to The holiday Inn. I have never felt more comfortable or welcomed as I ( and my 3 companions) did here with Will and Carri. Our suite was comfortable and made us feel like we were much loved guests at a dear friends home. I slept like a baby. In the morning Will brought us a lovely and delicious breakfast basket and large decanter of excellent coffee. We had fresh fruit, yogurt, juices and best of all the best banana muffins we had ever had. If you seek tranquility and a comfortable home like experience The Ancient City Inn will not dissappoint.

• Stayed August 2012
Perryville, Arkansas
Reviewed 15 August 2012

My sister and I stayed at the Ancient City Inn during my visit to Florida from Arkansas. Will and Carrie were both extremely pleasant, and took extra care to make sure we had everything we needed. We will be staying there again...LOVED IT!

Room Tip: Good value and friendly people!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in the Martha Lee room. We met our great neighbors Danny and Sandy who stayed in the Colonel's room. I had a past life regression with Carrie which I highly recommend. Our room was clean and comfy. Location is perfect, it is a 3 minute walk to the city gates. We enjoyed our fresh coffee and breakfast!! Thank you Will and Carrie. ~Tom & Marisa

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Tmgg
Plymouth, Indiana
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I wish there was a 2.5 rating so I could rate this smack in the middle, but since there is not I'm going with the low end. We stayed in The Colonels room. This is a quaint B&B, but it should be priced a little less for what you get. The room was stale & moldy smelling. Everything was a bit worn, the bathroom was clean enough, but there's a lace curtain on the window IN the shower, and of course there is mold on it. Some furnishings are nice, but some seem like they are from the dollar general - cheap, thin, unfashionable. I realize that some B&B's are trying to be cluttered or a bit overwhelming in decor to be more charming and unusual...but this really was just cluttered and cheap.

The breakfast was OK, in one way the basket delivered is somewhat like getting breakfast in bed, and it's nice not to have to go to a big dining room and visit with everyone staying at the B&B. BUT if it were my B&B I would make the breakfast basket even more special. Part of going to a B&B is to have a better experience than you have every day at home. I would put fancy yogurt, fancy french pastry, and fresh juice (or at least 100% juice, not a cheap sugar water blend of juice.) Or maybe offer a card with some choices.

I was told when I reserved the room that I would get a AAA discount of 10%, and then I wasn't given the discount.

The things that were good - there were other people staying over the holiday weekend and I couldn't hear anyone else, so the set up of the B&B is good and the rooms are quiet. No disturbance from outside or inside. The temperature was kept comfortable even though there is no ability to control it individually. The coffee was very good. The location was great.

Overall, I would either charge less for what is offered (say $75/night, maybe?) or make improvements and charge the $109 that they charged.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lrltshw
Auburndale, Florida
Reviewed 16 March 2012

The room smelled sour when we first opened the door. After further investigation we discovered the bathroom shower had used bath cloths hanging in it and mildew was on the shower wall and curtain. There were stains on the pillow shams and pillow cases. We had reservations for two days and our room was not cleaned the following day plus we did not get clean towels to use for the second night. Check out time is 11 am but we got a knock on the door at 10:25 am asking us if we were ready to leave because he had to be somewhere at 11:00 am. We will never stay here again....There are plenty other B&B's in the area that are nice, clean and better priced!!

Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 26 February 2012

The inn keepers themselves were very pleasant, however we will NEVER go back. As soon as we got into the room we could smell vomit. After further inspection we found that there was vomit on the drapes in the shower. So freakin' disgusting!!!! The only thing scary about this place was the uncleanliness!

• Stayed February 2012