“FANTASTIC!!!”

Ranked #25 of 31 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Florida
“FANTASTIC!!!”
Reviewed 6 December 2006

I spent the most wonderful week in St. Augustine, Florida. The Southern WInd Inn was magnificent. My every need was attended to. The inn is beautiful and the host are great. They went out of their way to guide me around the historical city, making suggestion for tours as well as dining. Definitely a place to return to.

• Liked — The friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — eveything was perfect
  • Tips/Secrets — extend your trip
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
UK
Reviewed 16 November 2006

Having booked into the B&B on Halloween weekend I wasn't, at first, sure if the lack of assistance upon arrival was due to the busy event weekend. The gentleman host was quick to take my money and leave the property without offering to take my suitcase upstairs. The room (first right at top of stairs) was clean, although not pristine and had a definite well worn appearance. The bath was chipped in many places and the tv had only four channels. A frugal 2 chocolates were displayed for my enjoyment; I declined the temptation...

Breakfast was hardly a 'gourmet' event. I think the lone slice of cold meat an earlier guest mentioned was still the same piece being served up!

What made my stay pleasant were the 2 lovely couples I met during my stay. Simple as.

The disappointment was for the amount of money charged I expected a higher standard. If I'd been charged $70-80 per night I would have felt quite different. Being from the UK I am more than used to historic buildings but felt that the entire property badly needed some tlc and some experienced hosts.

• Liked — The location
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure you only pay $70-80 per night
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank LittleUkTraveller
Reviewed 27 May 2006

We stayed here for the second time in a year and found the visit as pleasurable as the first. Great food, clean accomodations, and handy to all that St. Aug has to offer!

Stayed May 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 May 2006

I stayed here for a week with a friend and we had a wonderful time here. Our hosts were very nice and always available for questions, recommendations, etc., but there were NOT underfoot--which is a good thing. Breakfast was great all 4 days (we had a different main dish every day, but had the same choice of fruit, tea, coffee, bread, granola, and yogurt everyday). The house was very quiet, the beds were comfortable, and the whirlpool tub was a godsend after a day of sightseeing.

Both my friend and I agreed that we would have no problem staying there again on another trip.

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 May 2006

We stayed here on vacation and not only was it very overpriced but we were woken up at 6am with construction. I also got a skin infection from the tub.

Stayed April 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Alabama
Reviewed 14 April 2006

My husband and I recently stayed at the Southern Wind and were a bit disappointed. I'd read the reviews and they were fairly mixed so I was hopeful. The Inn itself is lovely, and in a great location. Given the multitude of B&B's in St. Augustine, the owners should strive to make guests feel welcome. This didn't happen- it was a consistent lack of paying attention to detail that bugged us, especially given that you pay a higher rate to get that with a B&B. Example- breakfast was the same every day for 3 days..cheesy egg dish, slice of sad ham, muffin. If I wanted the same thing every morning, I can go to McDonalds. Then one bar of soap for the entire stay. We also chose to use the bikes that were mentioned in the site..unfortunately they were also antique and half rusted. We biked down to the Fountain of Youth and will most likely need some type of microsurgery on our nether-regions as the seats had metal protruding from them. All in all, try elsewhere. There are so many beautiful inns in St Augustine, might as well find a place that will cater to their guests.

• Stayed April 2006
1 Thank ekc001
Reviewed 30 May 2005

After a week at one of Orlando's big conference-center hotels, a long weekend at the Southern Wind Inn's homey comfort was a perfect antidote. We especially appreciated the personal attention we received from our hosts from the moment we arrived right up to our departure.

The Inn has a large front porch, a second-floor front veranda, and a cute back porch just outside our Garden Room. All were great places to relax. We ate our excellent breakfasts (the home baking was superb) on the downstairs porch and spent some time each evening on the veranda listening to the horses clip-clop down Cordova Street.

Visiting Saint Augustine involves a lot of walking and constant activity, so it's really helpful to have a friendly, relaxing place like this to come back to unwind at.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member