“Great B&B in Historic St. Augustine”

and 1 more site!
Casa de Solana Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 30 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Casa de Solana is a Wonderful choice for a getaway to St. Augustine, FL. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Not to mention the breakfast was fantastic. Jeff made us some delicious egg, ham and cheese crepes with hollandaise that rivals any breakfast restaurant around. Our room, the Montejurra Room was extremely spacious and romantic. Especially with the balcony and rocking chairs, and GIANT whirlpool tub. It was very charming, ALL OF IT! I definitely recommend that you stay here. Not to mention it is on what I like to think of as the hidden gem of a street in St. Augustine; Aviles Street. Very quaint and free of the hustle and bustle of the tourists you find on St. George Street. Very Very nice with various restaurants right across the street. Thank you Jeff for making our anniversary very memorable!

Room Tip: Montejurra Room for a romantic getaway!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa H
Management response:Responded 15 July 2012

It absolutely was our pleasure to host your annivesary stay. We thank you for your kind words and look forward to your return visit (so we can spoil you even more)!

Reviewed 8 July 2012

I have nothing but good things to say about this bed-and-breakfast. My husband and I got married there last week and everything was lovely. The food was lovely, the people are lovely, and we met amazing people just hanging out at the dining room and courtyard. It was everything I could've ever hoped for and never dreamed possible. It was quaint and quiet and absolutely amazing.

• Stayed: July 2012
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

We didn't consider your minor! We loved having you here. You were a beautiful bride and your family was wonderful. Thank you for the review and we wish you a wonderful first married year together!

Reviewed 23 June 2012

Great location within a short walking distance to everything in the "Old Town" area. We were visiting St. Augustine celebrating our 19th wedding anniversary and decided to try a B & B. We had never stayed at one so we took a leap of faith and decided on Casa de Solana. We enjoyed the experience so much that we will definitely look to stay in B & B's from now on.

We stayed in the Montejurra room which is directly above the dining room and is big with approx. a 10-12' ceiling. I am 6' 3" and never felt cramped in the least, quite spacious actually. The room was beautifully appointed and maintained. We loved the fact that in this room the garden tub for two was in the bathroom and not in the middle of the sleeping area. We also liked the "rainfall" shower head mounted in the ceiling. The canopy bed is gorgeous and very comfortable. Other nice amenities worth mentioning: Free Wifi, individual room thermostat for AC, Bikes (free) available for check-out, small refrigerator, hair dryer, iron and facial cleaning towels--my wife loved these for make-up removal. Also, the room was extremely quiet, virtually no outside noise was noticed.

One reviewer complained about parking, well parking was actually closer to walk than to drive, because of "one way" streets. Never once complained about the walk from the parking lot because the sights were wonderful on the way back and depending on your pace it only took about 3-5 min., plus you would not want a parking lot next to the B & B because it would totally destroy the historic charm & beauty of the "Old Town" and this B&B.

Jeff the innkeeper, was wonderful and friendly. He also had some great suggestions for dining. We ate at "La Pentola" a couple blocks away on Charlotte Street and "Collage" on Hypolita Street. Both were wonderful dining experiences. The breakfasts served in the morning were wonderful creations. Plus, plenty of coffee, tea, milk, cereals, hard boiled eggs, croissants, scones, etc. The afternoon wine and cheese social was also a nice touch.

Not enough room in this review to say enough nice things about Casa de Solana!
My only advice to those researching where to stay is to just book your stay at this B&B and pick the Montejurra room.

Room Tip: The Montejurra Room was well worth the extra money!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fsu91
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

What a nice review. Very perceptive and well written. Thanks so very much!

Reviewed 14 June 2012

I spent 3 days in June at the Casa De Solana for a long weekend .I chose this praticular INN because of its central location to the historic district of St Aurustine. Great Choice! I was in walking distance of everything. The INN istself is beautiful. It has the beauty and charm one would expect in the oldest city in the US. It also has all the modern amenities one has come to expect. The food was delicious. Each morning i was greeted with a hot breakfast. And greeted by a friendly and knowledgeable staff. Their recommendations for sights to see, where to have dinner, shopping where fantastic. I cant wait to plan my next trip to Casa De Salona and Historic St Augustine.
Robert.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Rob R
CasadeSolana, Manager at Casa de Solana Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2012

Thanks, Robert, for the kind words. Will pass those cudos onto the staff as well; they will appreciate that! Warmest regards.

Reviewed 12 June 2012

My husband and I spent our anniversary at Casa De Solana. It is a beautiful location on the oldest street in the U.S. A wedding party was blocking Aviles Street so we couldn't park there to check in but the Oldest House Museum is a block and a half, equivalent to 1/2 a city block, from the bed and breakfast which had free parking for museum visitors, but we weren't there over 10 minutes, so I found that convenient, just waited in the car while my husband walked over to check in.

Parking is only a couple minutes up the road so take the opportunity to take in the beauty of the area while you walk. Having stayed in New Orleans and Savannah this was much more convenient than having a valet park and retrieve your vehicle, which they charge for. They gave us the opportunity to purchase a carriage ride which picked us up there and would drop us where we wanted. Our guide was wonderful and it was so romantic.

The person who checked us in was kind and accommodating. He was knowledgeable about places to see and restaurants.

Breakfast was wonderful. I saw complaints about the quaintness of breakfast but it is a bed and breakfast and walking around town you don't want to be overly stuffed anyways. It was the perfect amount of food and DELICIOUS! Ours was French toast casserole, which I had never had, and sausage patties. There's so many restaurants to experience anyways I loved being hungry enough to eat lunch and dinner at other places.

Or room was adorable! My husband did get a little claustrophobic since he's 6-1 and being an old house the ceilings are low, I found it funny:)

The garden is beautiful! My only complaint was the horrible mosquitoes, but not the owners faults for that one.

Loved our stay and can't wait to do it again!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
CasadeSolana, Owner at Casa de Solana Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

We are pleased to hear that your anniversary trip was a success! We appreciate the very kind words and support! We wish you another happy year and hope you'll stay with us again!

Reviewed 29 May 2012

We picked the Casa de Solana due to its pet friendly policy and we were not disappointed. Our beloved Frenchie had a wonderful time and service couldn't have been any better. We were lucky enough to have a room with a door to the outside (The Confederate) which made it very convenient when having to walk our pooch. I would definitely come back.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
CasadeSolana, Innkeeper at Casa de Solana Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

Bartique,

It's great to hear from you! We're glad to know you all enjoyed your stay in the Confederate. Frenchie had her own private entrance and exit! Thank you for recommending us as a friendly inn to pet-lovers and travelers, alike.

Hopefully you can return to St. Augustine sooner than later. We'd love to welcome you back!

Thanks again,
Jeff Sonia
Innkeeper

Reviewed 26 May 2012

We picked the Casa De Solana for it's elopement package they offered. The wedding was nice (Jamie the officiant is very chill :) ) and the grounds were absolutely lovely! The location was also very nice and we were right on a pretty street filled with restaurants. The parking lot if a few blocks away but the walk is minimal (plus walking is the only way to travel in St Augustine :P) and theres a small unloading lot on the property so it's not like you even have to carry your bags from the further parking lot. The breakfast was abundant and delish!

My only gripe was our room. It was big, beautiful, and all around a delight...until we fell asleep. The walls are PAPER THIN and we literally heard EVERY NOISE our upstairs neighbors were making. And trust me, that is not something you want to be wake up in the middle of the night to. And I do mean literally every noice - grunts, sighs, moans, and all o__o

But I digress... To sum it all up: great place, great food, great location. If I had to do it all over again I'd stay therem but I'd bring some dang earplugs!

Room Tip: I was in the Kirby Smith Room - so maybe avoid that one
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ashley T
CasadeSolana, Front Office Manager at Casa de Solana Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2012

You were an absolutely beautiful bride, and we were honored to host your wedding. We are sorry to hear you were disturbed by overnight noise. The welcome letter in each room does highlight the fact that we have an after-hours phone number, and had we known a disturbance was in the midst, we certainly would have addressed the matter immediately. It does sound as though you enjoyed the rest of your stay, and we definitely enjoyed the good energy both you and your new husband brought to the Inn. We wish you all the best as you begin your married life!