“It's 5 a.m. What do I do for coffee?” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa de Solana Bed and Breakfast

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Casa de Solana Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #13 of 31 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Florida
“It's 5 a.m. What do I do for coffee?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

It’s hard for me to rate this inn because there are some things I liked, and some that I didn’t. On the plus side, the ambiance outside is great – a large patio full of flowering plants and trees, a vine-covered pergola, tables and rocking chairs for lounging. And they serve an excellent breakfast, with each meal (the same meal for everyone) made after you’re seated. The room was OK. But it was freezing, because I had no control over the AC in my own room. The thermostat was in the room next door, controlling five rooms in the building. The manager said it was set at 71 degrees. When I asked him to turn it up to 75 he balked, saying he could only turn it up a degree or two. That made for an uncomfortable stay. Also on the negative side, there is no on-site parking. You drop your belongings off in a loading zone, drive around a maze of one-way streets to a parking lot four blocks away – and walk back. But the most annoying thing was that the office was closed from 8 p.m. to about 7 a.m. I guess I’m spoiled, but when I stay at a B&B I like to have coffee available if I happen to get up at 5 a.m. Other B&Bs I’ve stayed at have someone in the office (or kitchen) all night and coffee always is available. Not here. And I couldn’t just jump in my car to look for an all-night diner. It seems to me if you’re going to lock up overnight, the least you could do is have coffee-makers in the rooms. I don’t expect to stay here again until some changes have been made.

Room Tip: Ask if the room has its own thermostat.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank franco98

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Casa de Solana is a quaint bed and breakfast that is especially attractive to people seeking historical experiences. It is situated on one of the oldest if not THE oldest streets in North America in beautiful St. Augustine. The dining room oozes with charm and the rooms are nicely decorated with antiques, although the bathroom was small. While the parking on site is squeezed there is reserved (no Charge) parking for the Casa within walking distance and this is a town you defintely want to walk. We must not forget that this town was built long before cars. We thought the breakfasts absolutely delicious. This house is well situated to visit other historic homes available for touring including a boarding house and the not to be missed Spanish military hospital. We walked the entire town from here. The staff was pleasant and well informed and eager to assist you.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christie C
CasadeSolana, Manager at Casa de Solana Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Thank you so much for that review, particularly your positive outlook on St. Augustine parking "We must not forget that this town was built long before cars". With your permission, we'd like to use that! Coincidentally, the Solana structure dates back to 1763 (versus 1863), thus our 250th Celebration this year. Guests like you and reviews like yours definitely make us want to celebrate! Warm regards to you and yours.
Cocoa Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

My wife and I traveled to St Augustine for an over night stay at the Casa de Solana. When we finally pulled into the tiny parking lot, there was a car parked there so it was extremely difficult to park our Jeep without having the back end of the car protrude into the narrow street. My wife got out and went into the hotel to check us in. Eventually, she came back out with the gentleman who worked there and we quickly unloaded our luggage (he actually carried it all into the room). Once he finished, he gave us a map that showed where we could park the car in a leased parking lot.
The cost of parking was included in the room rate and the lot was open, but chained off at 3 PM every day. The suite smelt a bit musty, but that was to be expected in a house as old as the De Palma House. We had a queen sized bed, which was comfortable, a nice sitting area, what the gentleman described as the largest "mini-refrigerator" in the hotel (it was very cold too - our water froze in it) and a bathroom with a large jetted tub. The courtyard outside was very beautiful and we sat out there when we returned from touring the town until late in the night.
The entire place was very quiet and peaceful. In the morning, they prepared a yogurt parfait and an omelet for us and I found both to be delicious. We checked out and brought our car back to load our luggage and were told that we could return the car to the parking lot free of charge as long as we picked it up prior to 3 PM. That was really nice, considering the fact that we wanted to visit El Galeon (a Spanish Galeon replica) and would have had to pay for parking.
Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed the stay and the staff was wonderful. We will stay there again if we return to St Augustine.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mac32931
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

This little gem is nestled nicely in the corner of St. Augustine. It's quaint and adorable and my husband and I definitely enjoyed our stay as we took a mini 2-day getaway. Though a bit dusty, the rooms were very antiquated and nicely decorated. Service and staff were kind and very accommodating.

Though the assigned parking lot is only a few blocks away, it is quite freaky walking to their location after the final ghost tour, which ends a little after midnight. Walking in the streets of the dimly lit roads of one of the most haunted cities in America freaked me out. Thank goodness we had our smartphones to guide us back because it was near impossible to read street signs at night.

Anyways, aside from that, this is a little gem of a place to enjoy if you want a romantic getaway in a romantic little city. :)

• Stayed August 2012
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

Our room was large as was the bed and the inn featured a very nice outside patio area. It has a great location right on Aviles street but parking was a bit of a hike. The room was very cold and there was no way to adjust the thermostat. The 2-person jacuzzi tub was quite enjoyable. Breakfast was served at a convenient hour, but we did not partake of the vegetarian fare during our stay. A nice stay over all.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

Casa De Solana provided the perfect romantic setting for our honeymoon. I absolutely loved how we had everything we could possibly need in our beautiful room. The only thing we needed to step out for besides enjoying the beautiful scenery and architecture was the food. Which let me tell you how the cook at Casa De Solana has the hands of a magician. The food was absolutely delicious and amazing how it satisfied every one of my taste buds. The customer service was also wonderful. Everyone went above and beyond to make us feel exactly how we should've felt, right at home. My husband and I even felt like teenagers again. Overall our trip was just romantically humble and we have the staff at Casa De Solana to thank for their hand in us having a great honeymoon. Extremely excited and so looking forward to our next trip back to Saint Augustine with Casa De Solana!!!

• Stayed May 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

I cannot say enough good things about the B&B. Our room was perfect: beautifully decorated, clean and in a beautiful old building. The staff was so friendly and went out of there way to make our stay special. The morning coffee was worth waking up for and the choices at breakfast were perfect. The location was great and that was the honeymoon we needed.

• Stayed May 2013