You really can’t fault the location of this B&B, right in the heart of Old Town, within a very short stroll of many attractions, restaurants and bars.
All rooms are individually themed and we stayed in the King’s Tower which was a lovely room in a separate building to the rear of the main house. One of the reasons we chose this room was the fact that it had a private balcony/outdoor area which proved a lovely secluded place to have a spot of time to ourselves before going out in the evening. A point to note though is that it’s right next to the air conditioning unit of the property next door, so may be a little noisy for some. We still think the extra space and privacy is nice, so would probably choose that room again if we went back rather than the rooms in the main house.
The lady at check in was lovely and very chatty and helpful, providing us with a map of the area and some excellent restaurant recommendations. The owner, Lynne, was very helpful in our back and forth emails.
The room itself was clean and tidy, though the bed did remind me of the fairy tale about the princess and the pea! (look it up!) There was no pea as the bed was extremely comfortable, but there were several mattresses, which made the bed very high, hence the reference…
The bathroom in this particular room is split into two. The sink and toilet are in a separate room and there is very luxurious toilet paper, almost like cloth – I would be quite interested in getting something similar at home (yes, I know that sounds strange!!!). The shower part has a screen door which opens directly into the bedroom and the bathmat is actually in the bedroom - which is fine for us, but may be something to note.
One thing to look out for at this B&B is the special offers on their website – they are excellent. We got a complimentary ‘Sail Away to Romance’ cruise on the Schooner Freedom sailing ship together with a free chilled bottle of champagne (you don’t have to have them on the same night of your stay).
We are in two minds about the breakfasts – we only went down to the dining room for one as we had a lie in on our second day and were leaving early the next. The communal table is not really ‘us’ though I realise it may suit many people (the other guests were very nice, but we would have preferred to be in and out quickly so we could explore the area). The main issue is that you aren’t at all sure when breakfast is finished as the servers are so unobtrusive. You seem to get melon in some shape or form to start (that was on the table on our last day when we handed in the room keys too), then something else. Unfortunately, the day we took breakfast, the ‘something else’ was sweet pancakes which we both dislike and then no one appeared again – ever. There was butter on the table and we were hoping for some toast.
There is free parking at the back of the property.
St Augustine is beautiful. We’ve visited before on a day trip, but it’s the first time we’ve stayed and it was definitely worth it, there is so much to see and it’s very eclectic compared to many places in Florida.
I think it’s unfortunate that this B&B isn’t higher in the rankings here on TA - we would definitely consider staying again. I suspect the reason for it being lower down the list is more due to the fact that you can only book directly through the owner’s website rather than through other sites via the ‘check rates’ button. We too may have missed it out that way if other places had been available which would have been a shame.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- !! Summer Rates In Effect!! A Saint Augustine Adults Only Inn and ranked in the Top 5 because of our breakfasts and the Inn's great location. It was built in 1918 so she is an elegant Edwardian bed and breakfast in the heart of the nation's oldest city. We are just steps from the bay front on a brick-lined street. The home has been lovingly restored to reflect its original grandeur and is carefully decorated with antique furnishings and accessories. As a bed and breakfast since 1993, the Inn on Charlotte has become known for its Southern hospitality which, of course, means relaxation and comfort for you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Inn On Charlotte reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Inn On Charlotte Hotel Saint Augustine
- Inn On Charlotte St. Augustine, Florida