“A taste of Philly”

South A Philly
Ranked #240 of 583 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Seating, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are a staff of friends and family who are proud to bring you the best tasting cheesesteaks and hoagies in Florida. Our bread is shipped down par-cooked from South Jersey, then baked fresh throughout the day, so you can enjoy authentic flavor straight from the oven. Each day we slice our rib-eye by hand to ensure our steak is tender and delicious; we would never dream of serving that pre-sliced stuff! We have original Cheez Whiz to give your cheesesteak that real Philadelphia flavor, the same way we ate them growing up. If that’s not your thing, we also offer American, Provolone, and Swiss cheeses, all from Dietz and Watson, who also provides all of our Italian meats (for an unforgettable Italian hoagie that will make you think you’re right back in Philly!). We have put our hearts into creating sandwiches we are proud to serve, and we hope you enjoy eating them as much as we enjoy making them.
Atlanta
“A taste of Philly”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

It was nice to visit this restaurant after a morning of walking around St. Augustine. It definitely has a Philly vibe and I was excited to see they carry my favorite chips - Herr's potato chips. You can't easily find those south of PA. The sandwich was pretty good. I know the real thing and it was close.

• Visited October 2013

“Nice escape from the wild nightlife”
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

I appreciated this place the most for being open close the midnight, and not having hundreds of drunk people pouring out of it. Service was good, food was good, price was good. I wasn't blown away by my cheesesteak but it was good. I liked the non-alcoholic drink selection too.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Lust4life82506
Zephyrhills, Florida
“Good sandwich”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Stopped in South A Philly after a full day of walking the historic district looking for a good cheesesteak and a cold drink. Not being from Philly - we don't know what a 'real' Philly Cheesesteak is supposed to taste like, but they made a pretty good sandwich - cheese whiz and all!

Visited July 2013
St. Augustine
“It's ok, but not fantastic”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I've stopped in here a couple times for lunch. It's a good place to grab a cheesesteak, but I am not a big fan of the customer service and price.

Both times I have been in there there is no smile, no eye contact, and they just come off as zombies serving another number. I work in customer service so it's just a big turn off to be treated like they wish I had gone somewhere else to eat or that I'm talking to robots...

The other issue is the price. Many cheaper places I would go to for lunch as both times I've been there it's been $13-$16 and that's just too much for one person to have lunch.

It's not a horrible place, and I might return eventually, but to me they just don't have anything that makes me want to run back there anytime soon.

• Visited June 2013
Panama City, Florida
“Thank you South-A-Philly”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We visited St. Augustine, FL with a group of kids and ate at South-A-Philly after seeing it online prior to our departure. We called ahead because there were 18 of us. The owner was very patient and helped fill our order and made the visit a great experience. Also the food was authentic and excellent. I highly recomend South-A-Philly if you go....it's a must stop P.O.I. while visiting St. Augustine. Thankis again!

• Visited July 2013