“Not Impressed”

Fairfield Inn & Suites St. Augustine I-95
Ranked #33 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This Fairfield Marriott was conveniently located off I-95 and close to the Factory outlets. However, it was about 10-15 minutes to historic downtown.
Check in took 10 minutes to wait on line with guests asking for dinner recommendations and other check-ins. There was only one girl at the desk and one line, so they could use more help. We are Marriott Lifetime Gold so have stayed at umpteen Marriotts, but not impressed here. The gal never acknowledged our "gold" status", and really could couldn't care less what room we booked because she was giving us all she had left. We stayed using Marriott Reward points and when we booked, we were told we would have a 1bedroom suite with a sofa and sitting room but we're disappointed when we arrived & were told they were sold out and all they had was a standard room with a king bed. The room was small and average but the bed was comfortable. There was a desk and flat screen TV in the room; standard bathroom; an iron and ironing board in the closet.
Most hotels have water in the lobby 24/7; this did not.
The breakfast area was crowded with no help, scrambled eggs were watery and questionable, as we're the turkey sausage patties.
Paper plates and plastic utensils, watered down juice, and only fruit were green apples. There was a make your own waffle mix and iron, some yogurts and breads.We won't be back and regret not going to the Courtyard around the corner. This Fairfield lacks friendly Southern Hospitality and help.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 December 2013

The Hotel was good and the people at the reception were very fast and nice. The room was clean and spacious.
But we found only three tovels and no shampoo. Furthermore, the space at the breakfast room wasn't enough for all the people. Too long queue and time to get the breakfast.
I'm sorry, but they cannot get four or more stars.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Staff was not welcoming or knowlegeable or helpful about the local area. Pool was cold and Jacuzzi was not working. Furnishings needed to be replaced. Room had an odd order. I couldn't determine if it was cheap air freshner or something else. I was hoping it was cheap air freshner. We've stayed at a lot of Marriot Properties.....this was not one of the better ones.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
lindavis66, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites St. Augustine I-95, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced at my property. Unfortunately, we did have an issue with our spa heater and it was down for a significant amount of time until we could get the heater replaced. I can understand how (especially when you are looking forward to it) this can really impact your stay and opinion of the property. As far as the pool being cold I am looking into this. Typically, our pool is set at 90 degrees and should have had no heating issue as the entire pool heater was replaced in September.

We are also in a situation with our breakfast furnishings that does leave something to be desired. We are aware of the situation and are moving towards getting these replaced and the issue resolved as soon as possible. I again, can understand how this could be a negative factor during your stay at the property. FInally, I would like to address the issue with the scent in your room. If you wouldn't mind contacting me via email so that I may have the room number you occupied, I would gladly investigate the matter personally.

Again, I apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay with us. I am hoping we have the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the future. Please contact me at ldavis@shanercorp.com at your earliest convenience.

Lindsey Davis

Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

New hotel, suburban location near outlet malls. Not very close to historic district.front desk staff appears to be unable to resolve problems. If you are visiting St. Augustine, Suggesy you stay closer to downtown.

• Stayed: December 2013

I would like to first apologize for my delayed response to your review of my property. Secondly, I would like to apologize that you did not feel my team was able to resolve the challenges you experienced during your stay with us. I want my associates to feel empowered to handle any Guest inconvenience so that it may be settled before you walk out of the building. I apologize that did not happen. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention so that I may use this as a teaching moment with my team. I will gladly bring up your concern in my daily stand up meeting with my associates.

Thank you for your review of my property.
Lindsey Davis

Reviewed 13 December 2013

It was very late (after 10:30 PM) when we stopped at this hotel with no reservations and no idea if they had rooms available. The gentleman at the front desk is the shining star for this hotel. He was very helpful, informative, and so friendly! The room and bathroom were clean and the bed very comfortable. We left the next morning at 5:00 AM, so we did not get breakfast! The same front desk gentleman was there when we checked out and again, Fairfield should be sure they keep this man on staff. He's a delight!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I was impressed with this hotel with the cleanliness in not only the rooms but also the lobby and breakfast area. The staff was courteous and polite but definitely did not go out of their way to leave a lasting impression. The room was very spacious with a great bed that was comfy and fresh. The pillows were a bit hard for me but I guess you cannot expect to have it all for $120/night! Overall a very nice stay at an updated property right off the interstate and a block away from the outlets. We concentrated our time in historic Saint Augustine which was only a ten minute drive away. I would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

We got the room @ a discounted rate so it was a winner for us based on price. I am picky on beds & pillows so I had a hard time with the soft pillows & found the bed small (full size) for 2 adults. 2 kids no problem. Room was clean, good size for 4. TV channels limited. Bathroom size was good, plenty of hot water & excellent pressure.No microfridge, which was a bit of a bummer. A/C was good no major noice. Breakfast was included-apples, bananas,yogurts, scrambled eggs, turkey sausage patties, waffle maker, bagels,toast, biscuits/gravy,cereals..coffee/hot chocolate, O.J/cranberry. A few minutes from Old District. Local Publix about 8 minutes.
Check in/out was painless.

• Stayed: November 2013