“Historically and scientifically factual.”

Haunted St. Augustine Paranormal Investigative Tour
Ranked #64 of 119 Tours in St. Augustine
More attraction details
Owner description: A SMALL GROUP EXPERIENCE, this interactive walking tour as they introduce you to the investigation of haunted sites. You will learn how to assess seeming haunted phenomena, and what does compromise an actual haunting. You will be instructed in: • What kind of phenomena make a "genuine haunting" • How to approach investigating such phenomena with an EMF meter• To employ your senses and respect your own psychic feelings• Use basic equipment, such as electromagnetic field meter
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Historically and scientifically factual.”
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

The walking tour was one and half hours. We did get pictures of two sightings. The tour guide was extremely knowledgeable. Not campy at all. If your interested in seeing something Christy is the person to guide you.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Lifeisateamevent

Reading, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“light and lifeless”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

A smattering of lore and playing with blinky lights -- that's what you get out of the Haunted St. Augustine Tour.

The walking tour emphasized the use of basic (and basically useless) equipment: cheap EMF detectors that picked up readings from the power lines all around us and temperature guns that provided incongruous results when aimed at the exact same spot simultaneously. Nothing more than distractions.

While several of the locations were potentially quite interesting, our tour guide's knowledge of the local history proved to be limited. Her favorite phrases seemed to be "period costume" for ghostly descriptions and "back then" for points of reference. Certainly, history in most locations -- especially with a city like St. Augustine -- will be sketchy and incomplete. But a tour guide should come prepared with certain details. A little research goes a long way.

The walking tour ended at the Castillo de San Marcos -- a highlight in and of itself, being even more impressive at night. Afterward, the rest of the group went on to do the hearse ride as part of the total paranormal investigative tour. My girlfriend and I were not a part of this and we were left at the fort to find our own way from there. The guide did not ask us if we knew how to get back to our car (every other ghost tour I've been on has either circled back around to the starting point or ended with the guide making sure everyone was properly oriented -- an essential thing when one is in an unfamiliar city). In fact, this tour's guide seemed very unconcerned with keeping tabs on the members of the group throughout the night overall, despite leading us through poorly lit areas. Likewise, she would address some members of the group with her storytelling without bothering to wait for all of the (quite small -- approximately 10-12) group to catch up with her first.

If you're looking for something light on substance, this tour might be for you. The guide was friendly and patient, and perhaps your experience will be better. But I recommend that you save your money. Visit the Castillo at night on your own. Do your own research. You're bound to get more out of such an experience than via this tour. And you won't get stuck unsafely walking the streets of an old city late at night unless you absolutely want to.

Visited July 2013
5 Thank Beth B
Tampa, Florida, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Amazing Paranormal Tour!”
Reviewed 8 March 2013

My fiancé booked our Total Paranormal Tour as a Birthday gift for me because I love this sort of thing, she is very skeptical. The night started with the walking tour and we had Shelby as our guide. She is amazing! If it is possible to request a tour guide I would strongly urge you to request her. Not only did she not act all cheesy but she really was enjoying giving the tour, which made the enthusiasm contagious. She explained how all the equipment worked and then we started our adventure. What was really a bonus to the experience was how right at the beginning of our tour it started to downpour right when we hit the parking lot that at one time was a square where they would do the hangings. It got creepy because when we first walked up the light in the parking lot turned off and then several street lights turned off as well. Even Shelby didn't expect that to happen and was kind of freaked out. It was great!! From there we continued our journey and actually had a coworker of Shelby's join us while we were visiting the mortuary where they would do embalming in front of these huge windows for anyone in the town to see. The rest of the walking tour wasn't anything too exciting as it seemed the spirits were at rest for the night. It was when we got in the hearse with Shelby, her coworker and Eddie our driver. Eddie is the greatest driver. I won't spoil anything, but you have to ask Eddie about his "co-driver". The rain continued while the driving portion began and our first stop was at this little garden outside of a bed and breakfast. We met something very dark and evil and when my fiancé got poked in the back, she became a believer! From there we went to the lighthouse and spent way too much time there really getting some amazing readings from the equipment and just "physical" contact from the energies. Our tour was slated to start at 9 P.M. and last until 1 A.M. but it didn't. We ended up staying out there with them until 3:30 A.M.! None of us wanted to go home! I may have done this tour once but I will definitely be doing it again! My fiancé even said she would do it again. I just wish I didn't live in Tampa because I would buy my own EMF machine and go out touring every weekend. Shelby and Eddie, thank you so much for really making my birthday gift even more than I thought it would be. Five out of Five stars for you both and the Total Paranormal Tour.

P.S.: Bring an umbrella and sweater just in case!

Visited February 2013
7 Thank Francis R
Tampa, Florida, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome Adventure”
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We had an amazing time with Shelby as our haunted tour guide on the coldest night you can imagine. She was an awesome story teller and she kept us interested and entertained the entire tour. We would HIGHLY recommend the tour with Shelby to guide you...just a wonderful night!!!

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Traci L
tampa,fl
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Good time!”
Reviewed 26 November 2012

My friend and I had a great time with Shelby as our walking tour guide, and Tracy as a hearse driver/guide. They were very knowledgable and made it a very interesting evening. I highly recommend this tour as a fun activity in St. Augustine.

Visited November 2012