“Excellent Holiday Inn Express”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Saint Augustine North
Ranked #10 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We selected the HIE St. Augustine North for a recent visit to this area based on previous TA reviews. They hit the mark and we agree with the excellent ratings previously given. The facility was very clean, everything in our room worked, the staff was friendly and very helpful, and the breakfast was well-done each morning of our three day stay. We would definitely stay here again and will recommend it to friends coming to this area or just passing through.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ShemCreek

Reviewed 25 January 2012

Nice, year and a half old Holiday Inn Express, that is less than a mile off the freeway. Right next door is one of the two large outlet malls off this freeway exit.

We spent three nights in St. Augustine and found this hotel fairly convenient to the historic district. It is about a ten to fifteen minute drive to this historic district, down state route 16, depending on traffic.

It is kind of a trade off staying in the historic district or out by the freeway exit. The hotels in the historic district are generally more expensive than the chain hotels out by the freeway but you will have to pay for parking in St. Augustine during the day. If you use the city owned parking garage, it will cost you $10 for the day. The good news is after 5 p.m., parking is free at the lot by the Castillo and on the street parking. We had no problem finding free parking on weekday nights but Saturday night was kind of a zoo.

The rooms were in good shape, farily spacious and breakfast was good. Since the hotel wasn't too crowded, there was plenty of seating in the breakfast area and you didn't have to battle your way through to get the food.

One annoying part about this hotel is you can't have the continuous fan going unless you turn off the a/c or heat. We like having the cotinuous fan on to block out noise from doors opening and shutting, people in the halls, etc. Since we were in St. Augustine in January and the days were temperate, this wasn't a problem. However, if we had been here during the summer, we would have had to choose between having the fan on or keeping the a/c on.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jason P
Reviewed 19 January 2012

This is a new hotel and it was very clean. The rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable. Note that the hideabed was very very VERY uncomfortable, so much so that we had to get a second room. My son and daughter flipped a coin for a bed versus a hideabed ... and my son lost. So he and his girlfriend were looking mighty uncomfortable in the hideabed, so much so that they were planning to close it up and sleep on the carpet. So I took pity on them and I got us another room. Which I actually didn't mind, as I didn't really want to share a room with the four kids anyways ... kids are in their 20's ... so in the end the kids shared the room with two queen beds ... And my husband and I moved to a room with a king size bed. I got no bug bites in either room. The price was under $100 per room, which was good value for money. They had a decent breakfast, nothing spectacular, but entirely acceptable. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank J-J-9917
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We stayed at this hotel on I-95 en route to Disney and it was a great choice. Extremely clean hotel overall with very comfortable beds. Bathroom was spotless. Staff took great pride in the place. Breakfast was very good and included a pancake-making machine, scrambled eggs and choice of muffins. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Goingfunplaces1
Reviewed 27 December 2011

This was my first visit to this hotel. I found it to be very clean. I stayed in a room on the first floor which was very convenient for loading and unloading the car.
I looked in all corners of the room and found no dirt, crumbs, etc.

Room Tip: There are rooms available on the first floor if you have a lot of stuff to load and unload.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank WiltonManorsGuy
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Since I like to travel, I have frequently stayed with HEI and am a Priority Club member. I fully understand thin walls in hotels, etc.

Having travelled to many countries, I have finally found the most pitiful display of customer service and complete apathy from the hotel staff to include the hotel's general manager.

The hotel room (410) was clean, so early on, the hotel was holding a strong possibility of a good reveiw from me here at Trip Advisor. Fast forward to 15 minutes past midnight when the people in the next room (408) came in. After a lengthy and loud conversation in the hall, the group went into their room. The television was turned on and the loud conversations continued. These people made hot chocolate and complained about the microwave - that's how loud they were - every word of every conversation and joke was clearly audible. They woke up my entire family.

My first phone call to the front desk was at about 1 AM to Regina - no manager was on duty. I informed Regina of the problem and the room number of the loud group. No change in the situation, and I followed up with another phonecall to Regina at 1:15 AM. Still, no change in the situation. Finally, at 1:26 AM, Regina, the front desk employee, shows up at my door wanting to move my family. Rather than address the situation with the loud people, she thought it acceptable for me to gather up my belongings and move my 5 year old in her pajamas and my wife in her nightgown to another room! Great customer care - punish the innocent. Rather than submit my family to the hassle of moving to another room, I packed our bags, loaded my family in the car and left the hotel. The "best" Regina was willing to do was to give a discount of about $14 dollars. No "I'm sorry for the issue", Regina did mustered up a "drive safe" and went back to reading.

The next day I called Shannon, the desk manager then on duty. She, as expected, quickly defended her co-worker. Stating that Regina did call the room of the loud group - but yet Shannon identified the wrong room number - stating room 412. How odd that Shannon stated Regina called the loud people and that "they were getting ready to go to sleep", but listed the room number called as the wrong room. Shannon stated that Regina went to the hallway and hadn't heard any noise. Typical damage control, at least Shannon did say she was sorry for my experience. When I asked for a refund, Shannon "kicked the can down the road" and said that the general manager Elizabeth "handles those things".

Monday morning, I call Elizabeth the general manager and Elizabeth also spins the damage control and defended her staff. Stating that Regina had called the loud people, even though their phone didn't ring (I would have heard it since I could plainly hear the humming of the microwave in their room). Clearly a case of "he said, she said" by now, so rather than customer care, Elizabeth stated to me that she felt that me moving my wife and child through the hotel in their sleeping clothes to another room was acceptable customer service and that no refund would be given. I had to ask her that twice to ensure she understood what I was asking and to make sure I had correctly heard her pathic lack of customer service beliefs.

Not to worry, I will never step foot in this hotel ever again. To other travelers, there are other hotels in the area, don't waste your money and time at this HIE.

Room Tip: Find another hotel...........
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
25  Thank SFC31B
Reviewed 3 December 2011

We decided to stay in St. Augustine at the last minute and booked a room based on a stay at a Holiday Inn Express a few days earlier in Jacksonville and the reviews. We were not disappointed. The room was very clean, comfortable, modern and a great shower. Felt like a much more expensive hotel. The only downside was not being closer to the historic area but an easy 10 minute drive. The front desk attendant Regina was very nice and welcoming. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2011