“Wonderful on all counts”
Review of Spy Global Cuisine & Lounge - CLOSED

Spy Global Cuisine & Lounge
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: SPY Global Cuisine provides a relaxing setting highlighted by a wide variety of dining options. Our kithchen offers premium steak, chicken and pork dinners as well a special seafood dish featuring lobster, scallops and shrimp. We serve a great Teriyaki Stir Fry and Thai Cocunut Curry dish with options to add meat or shrimp. We are renowned for our fresh Sushi and Sashimi which features a number of "fusion" specialty rolls that appeal not only to Sushi lovers but first time samplers as well. Our courtyard is one of the nicest in St. Augusting and our upstairs seating is perfect for date night.
Key West
“Wonderful on all counts”
Reviewed 23 December 2010

We have eaten at this restaurant a number of times and always have an outstanding meal. They have very unique and delicious sushi roll as well as full entrees. Sushi is amazingly fresh. I also had a delicious Kobe beef steak there once. I love the espresso saketini--actually, I have tried many of the drinks on their menu and they are all delicious. The staff is always friendly and accomodating. Love the chic atmosphere, too! Great spot to go in St. Augustine and I highly recommend.

Orlando, Florida
“Best food I've tasted!! My regards to the chef!”
Reviewed 12 October 2010

My husband and I were looking for a place to eat in the evening, when most places were already closing between 8-9pm on a Sunday. Which we found odd, but thank goodnes after walking out of one place that wz closed, we found this place! We are not sushi fans, but the hostess reassured us they have more that. At first glance it has a low-key atmosphere, the hostess was friendly and guided us inside. There a knowledgeable server/bartender who directed us upstairs. Too dark for my taste, but it looked romantic.
It was pricey I think, but when I tasted the food...I was very impressed. I ordered the calamari, which was awesome. Never had it like that before! It had a light crisp taste to it. For entree (dont remember the exact name) I ordered shrimp & scallops with white rice that wz seasoned with pineapple and coconut flavors....it was amazing!! I was savoring every bite! The scallops were cooked perfectly (and not a scallop person), it melted in your mouth good. The rice brought me back to when my mother made what we call arroz con leche, but all the flavors went well altogether. For drinks: I decided to try my very first sake drink, our waiter recommended one and I really liked it!! It went perfectly with the food! I kept telling my husband, "This is the best food I've ever tasted & will remember." Spy Sushi will be seeing us again :)

Jacksonville, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great food, terrible management”
Reviewed 16 September 2010

While the food at Spy, Sushi & Saketini Lounge located in downtown St. Augustine is amazing, the other aspects of this "fine-dining" restaurant are in dire need of management. As a self-proclaimed food critic and dining connoisseur I was less than thrilled with the service, cleanliness, and lack of over-all organization of this poorly-run restaurant. The owner and "manager," Jeff (I believe his name was Jeff), drug my friends and I off the street in a true car salesman-like manner and practically begged us for a moment of our time to "come check out the newly-renovated upstairs." Spy offers a quaint courtyard with outdoor seating and nice-at-first-glance indoor and upstairs dining. The tables are too small and too close together with zero privacy- a must in "fine-dining." Although we were annoyed at best with the way we were ushered in off the street, we decided to stick around for appetizers and drinks. There is no hostess, no hostess stand, no waiting area, and no waiting list for a table. Jeff, the owner, instead of having us wait, insisted on carrying from outside, all the way upstairs, a rusty, dusty, dirty, wrought-iron table and four mix-matched chairs from random areas of the restaurant including outside. We were appalled. The waitstaff was obviously embarrassed as we overheard a few servers pawn off our circus act of a table on each other. Although friendly, our server was overall uneducated on the dinner and bar menus. But, after experiencing her boss and his shenanigans ourselves we don't blame the poor girl. All this hype about being a "fine-dining" restaurant is ridiculous. We were given sloppy silverwear rolled in paper napkins, four mix-matched water glasses, our white-wine was served in red-wine glasses, the music was too loud, the lights too dim, and not to forget (especially here in Florida) the temperature was a scorching 80` inside the restaurant. Despite all the negativity of this review, we were extremely satisfied with one thing: The food. As experienced sushi-eaters, my friends and I all agreed that we had tasted the best quality fish and freshest sushi there is to offer. I strongly believe the backbone of this restaurant is their delicious food. If new management doesn't come to the rescue ASAP, Spy will never make it, and that would be a darn shame. While Mr. Jeff, Spy's owner, is obviously a great entrepreneur, he is sadly a horrid manager and we hope he recognizes that... and FAST!

1 Thank bikerchica7
New york
“Great Food --so so waiters”
Reviewed 31 July 2010

Food is pricey but good, if this is an upscale restaurant, management needs to train their help ..... they act as if this is Wendy's......it is not that they are unfriendly, just uneducated in serving fine wine and food.

Apalachicola
“Spy is a treasure”
Reviewed 11 July 2010

There are many and diverse ethnic restaurants in the walkable area of St. Augustine. This restaurant with a focus on Asian cusine is a welcome addition. The sushi lover is always looking for "new treats" and Spy supplies plenty of them in unique and thoughtful presentation. Given its location we felt the menu was reasonably priced. This is not a tourist trap, whatever that means, but a professionally planned mission statement on the part of a group,many whom are locals, to offer a memorable dining experience. Try their calamari and shrimp with grits while sampling their sushi AND uni comes in on thursday get it while it lasts. Walk over to Stogies after they know the directions FUN