“What a rip-off” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #71 of 79 Hotels in St. Augustine
Kansas City MO
“What a rip-off”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2009

Don't let the positive reviews fool you: this place was NOT worth 60 dollars a night to stay in (and although the sign outside says $49 a night, they charged us 10 dollars more when I booked it online). The so-called "new renovations" included a new TV hutch, desk and bed frames, and a poorly done coat of paint on the walls of a very dark room. Now, my boyfriend and I are not spoiled tourists with high expectations, but we would have asked for a refund if it wasn't such a credit hassle. The front door to our room wouldn't shut all of the way, because there was a 1/2" space between the top of the door and the frame that let the outside air through. The desk chair had large stains on the seat, and I wouldn't walk in the bathroom without shoes because the floor tile grout was black. Our towels were clean, but scratchy and worn thin, and when we pulled them off the rack we noticed the chrome had come off the towel rod, exposing rusted metal to our washrags. We didn't even have a fitted sheet on our bed! The maid didn't change our beds or even empty our trash cans-we think she merely came in and put the comforter back on the bed. I wouldn't touch that pool with a ten foot pole. It was so dirty and muddy you couldn't see to the bottom! I know the 'grass is always greener', but while driving around town, we saw several other places that were just as affordable and looked so much nicer.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
madeira beach, fl
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2009

My friend came down from Ohio. We drove from Madeira Beach, Fl. (where I live) to St. Augustine for just a couple of days. Was looking for cheap rates due to the unfortunate recent closing of my workplace. We booked with Red carpet, not knowing what to expect when we arrived. Well, we were greeted by Tom, who runs the motel, and from that moment on we were treated like royalty. He could not do enough for us. He told us about a restaurant that very close to the motel and we had an excellent meal there. Our room was clean and very nice. I have seen the reviews on this place and I do not understand what their problem was. True... it's not the Ritz, but if your that picky, maybe you should book a room at the Ritz. We had a great time and we plan to stay there if we ever return to St. Augustine.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank madbeacher
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2008

I stayed here Fourth of July weekend. Very nice rooms for the cost. The staff was very friendly and always asking me about my stay. Not the Ritz Carlton but just a standard motel with the GREATEST POOL EVER. Very nice temperature and chlorine balance. I didnt feel gross after getting out of the pool like at other hotels. Very quiet area and friendly. I will definently stay HERE AGAIN!!!

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Wireless Internet hard to get working
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joanna111087
ocala,florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2008

the staff was very helpful and friendly. the beds are awful as they are very hard and the pillows are very thin. there could be better bedding. the matress felt like you were sleeping on a hard box spring. rooms are very small for the price they hiked them up to for the 4th of July. I would not stay again due to the discomfort of the room as well as the price does not compare to what you actually get when you get there. we will book ahead of time next year so we can stay elsewhere. i would like to thank the staff for being very kind though

• Liked — the polite staff
  • Disliked — bedding and location
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank cruz4speed

Travellers are raving about these St. Augustine hotels

savannah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2008

Actually not that bad of a place. We went for a quick weekend trip and the hotel manager and his family were extremely nice and helpful. Rooms were not to bad. Beds were comfortable. Good a/c. If your in st. augustine looking for an affordable place to stay. i would def. recommend.

• Liked — Helpful front desk and location
  • Disliked — no wifi
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank apw51587
Portland, OR
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2008

I reserved a room online and when my boyfriend and I arrived, the lady at the front desk told us to check the room first before we pay. Needless to say, we were spooked about staying in a place that even the staff isn't too sure about. We asked her why the room's cleanliness should even be a question, and she insisted that she asked all customers to check the room first because she did not want to be bothered with processing a refund if the condition of the room did not meet our standards. Naturally, my boyfriend and I exchanged a "no way" look, but agreed to check, really because we didn't want to embarass the lady by telling her how dubious the place now seemed given her choice of words. Sure enough, the place is uber creepy, and we just didn't feel safe there. When we returned to the office, we thanked her, but said no thanks. She said no problem and when I asked her about my credit card reservation to confirm that I would not be charged, she said that she couldn't guarantee that. We asked her to ask the owner, because we didn't want to leave and then get a surprise on my credit card. Long story short, we ended up in a shouting match with the both of them for freaking us out, offering us a cancellation, and then renigging when we requested one. I'd only made the reservation a couple hours before, plus the place was empty! WHY LET PEOPLE UP TO CHECK IF YOU'RE GOING TO CHARGE THEM ANYWAY?! They got our $45, but you can bet we didn't stay there. We headed to the Best Western down the road (on US1) and for the extra $30, it was totally worth it. Friendly staff and nice, *clean* rooms.

• Disliked — Beds were rock hard, carpet was filthy, staff behaved very inappropriately.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple