“Only thing that was missing were the cockroaches”

Red Carpet Inn St. Augustine
Ranked #70 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Cumming, Georgia
“Only thing that was missing were the cockroaches”
Reviewed 17 February 2011

My boyfriend and I booked a cheap hotel because we figured that we would pretty much only be using it to sleep in at night. This place was what I would qualify as a "cockroach hotel." When we checked in to our room, we opened the door and a blast of hot air hit us in the faces -- the AC had not even been turned on to prepare the room for guests and it took a good several hours for the room to cool off. The shower floor felt slimy (had to wear shower shoes!) and the drain was clogged and it took 30 minutes for the water to clear out of the tub after a shower. Although the toilet had a paper ribbon tied over the seat to symbolize that it had been cleaned, when I lifted the seat there were the remnants of the last person to use it... toilet paper and everything. It had not been flushed. They did have wi-fi and good channels, but jeez. Upon arriving my boyfriend and I just looked at each other and he said, "I'm gonna go ahead and guess that this place doesn't have continental breakfast." I wouldn't set foot in the swimming pool. Ok if you need a place for one night in a pinch, but would only go there again as a LAST resort!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sknapolitano

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Largo, Florida
Reviewed 19 July 2010

We stayed here on a Wednesday night last minute so we could start our explorations of St. Augustine bright and early (we originally were going to drive up from Tampa the same day we were visiting). It was fairly close to the historic area and under $50/night so we went ahead and booked a night. We got there around 11pm. It was my sister and I and our young kids. At check in the 'owner' tried to tell us they charge extra per person over 2 people, which is ridiculous. Most double rooms sleep 4, and it was just us two and the young kids. The next morning we let the kids swim for a brief time before heading out, and the 'owner' came out and started up again how there can't be any more than 2 in a room. At this point we were ready to get away so we went up and changed and started loading up. As we were loading the car, the 'owner' came out again to harass us as we were packing up and threatened to charge more to the card my sister booked with. We had to threaten to send her husband up to talk to him to get him to leave us alone. Additionally, the ice maker is right outside the office and is a quarter per use, nuts! We went on to Savannah and Dewy Rose, GA, staying in 2 more hotels the rest of the trip without incident. We should have stayed in a more well known family friendly chain, even if it was a little further away. We certainly learned our lesson.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank jackson5momof3

Travellers are raving about these St. Augustine hotels

Kansas City MO
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Don't let the positive reviews fool you: this place was NOT worth 60 dollars a night to stay in (and although the sign outside says $49 a night, they charged us 10 dollars more when I booked it online). The so-called "new renovations" included a new TV hutch, desk and bed frames, and a poorly done coat of paint on the walls of a very dark room. Now, my boyfriend and I are not spoiled tourists with high expectations, but we would have asked for a refund if it wasn't such a credit hassle. The front door to our room wouldn't shut all of the way, because there was a 1/2" space between the top of the door and the frame that let the outside air through. The desk chair had large stains on the seat, and I wouldn't walk in the bathroom without shoes because the floor tile grout was black. Our towels were clean, but scratchy and worn thin, and when we pulled them off the rack we noticed the chrome had come off the towel rod, exposing rusted metal to our washrags. We didn't even have a fitted sheet on our bed! The maid didn't change our beds or even empty our trash cans-we think she merely came in and put the comforter back on the bed. I wouldn't touch that pool with a ten foot pole. It was so dirty and muddy you couldn't see to the bottom! I know the 'grass is always greener', but while driving around town, we saw several other places that were just as affordable and looked so much nicer.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
madeira beach, fl
Reviewed 30 April 2009

My friend came down from Ohio. We drove from Madeira Beach, Fl. (where I live) to St. Augustine for just a couple of days. Was looking for cheap rates due to the unfortunate recent closing of my workplace. We booked with Red carpet, not knowing what to expect when we arrived. Well, we were greeted by Tom, who runs the motel, and from that moment on we were treated like royalty. He could not do enough for us. He told us about a restaurant that very close to the motel and we had an excellent meal there. Our room was clean and very nice. I have seen the reviews on this place and I do not understand what their problem was. True... it's not the Ritz, but if your that picky, maybe you should book a room at the Ritz. We had a great time and we plan to stay there if we ever return to St. Augustine.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank madbeacher
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 6 July 2008

I stayed here Fourth of July weekend. Very nice rooms for the cost. The staff was very friendly and always asking me about my stay. Not the Ritz Carlton but just a standard motel with the GREATEST POOL EVER. Very nice temperature and chlorine balance. I didnt feel gross after getting out of the pool like at other hotels. Very quiet area and friendly. I will definently stay HERE AGAIN!!!

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Wireless Internet hard to get working
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joanna111087
ocala,florida
Reviewed 5 July 2008

the staff was very helpful and friendly. the beds are awful as they are very hard and the pillows are very thin. there could be better bedding. the matress felt like you were sleeping on a hard box spring. rooms are very small for the price they hiked them up to for the 4th of July. I would not stay again due to the discomfort of the room as well as the price does not compare to what you actually get when you get there. we will book ahead of time next year so we can stay elsewhere. i would like to thank the staff for being very kind though

• Liked — the polite staff
  • Disliked — bedding and location
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank cruz4speed
savannah
Reviewed 23 May 2008

Actually not that bad of a place. We went for a quick weekend trip and the hotel manager and his family were extremely nice and helpful. Rooms were not to bad. Beds were comfortable. Good a/c. If your in st. augustine looking for an affordable place to stay. i would def. recommend.

• Liked — Helpful front desk and location
  • Disliked — no wifi
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple