“cheap to place to stay”

Scottish Inns - Lion Inn
Scottish Inns - Lion Inn
Ranked #75 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed 1 April 2013

the scottish inn is very cheap place to stay it's right downtown the trolly pick you up right across the street i was very surprized that the rooms were clean. If you just want a place just to lay your head this is the place it no thrills but it is clean and the staff is nice

Room Tip: good cheap place to stay
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank dbrown3941

Reviewed 15 January 2012

The owners of this hotel are very nice, and that's the reason I've been back numerous times, they make you feel welcome. The place is clean and comfortable and the rooms have a fridge and microwave. Where it is, it's convenient to the beach and to town. While its just a basic room, I feel safe there.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank serialmom12
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Although front desk was nice enough, the room was a complete and utter dump. For one thing, you couldn't walk from the bed to the bathroom without your feet becoming solid black from all of the dirt in the carpet. The bed, including the boxspring, was falling apart.The quality of the water there appeared to be very bad, so much so that I bought a couple of gallons of drinking water from Winn Dixie to both drink and rinse after brushing my teeth. I did not take a shower--not only because of the water quality, but because the showerhead was completely coated with green deposits from the mineral build up. Do yourself a favor and spend a few extra dollars on a place that you can actually sleep in.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Because 1 star is just too generous for this pit. The first thing I noticed upon walking into my room was the lack of adequate lighting. The corner lamp and the wall bracket above the fridge turned on but there were no lamps to be found for the lights above the beds. At first I was annoyed but I soon came to the conclusion that this may have been intentional as the room had a generally dirty look and feel to it so the less you see the better.
Electrical outlets were at a premium as well, the two on the far wall didn't work at all. This wouldn't have been so bad if there were only two of us but seeing as there were four people in our party it was another inconvenience.
The bathroom supplies left a lot to be desired, it was kind of them to leave us soap but there was no shampoo to be found. I will say the woman at the counter was very pleasant but that's about the only good that came out of this trip.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tanaka33
Reviewed 4 March 2011

When I pulled back the covers there were huge stains, like some one had polished their shoes with the sheets. I called and she said they were rust stains. They don't have water softeners in St. Augustine? In the morning I noticed a hole in the back of the bathroom door and the wood on the bottom of the door was hangin in strips. The inside of the shower curtain was about, one third. was covered with black mold. I had checked the room, and it looked O. K. But I didn't think I had to pull back the covers to check the sheets and climb into the bathtub to check the shower curtain. Outside there were cigerate butts everywhere.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wanttotraveltheworld
Reviewed 28 November 2010

I am sitting at my computer in the middle of the night as I am writing this review because I cannot sleep. First night I arrived was ok: I was well received by the staff (nick) who ensured me that rooms were extra clean. I noticed the day after the rotten window and molespots in the bathrooms. Towels were so dirty and brown that It gave me the impression that someone had wiped its... with them!
That would not be so bad (I am not that fussy and I have a high tolerance for a lot of things) if it was not for what happened last night: it turned out that one of my 'neighbor' had the volume of its tv so high that it waked me up in the at 2hoo in the morning. I called the front desk to ask them to fix the problem. After, 5 minutes, I could still here the awful noise and had to call back the reception. The woman who answered me then started yelling at me (yes she did srceamed at me) telling me that: 'it was my responsibilty to call the police and that she could not do anything for me' (bravo for customer service initiative!) I think it never even crossed her mind to either offer me another room or knock at my neighbors door or refund me. No, she started yelling at me and insulting me. which leaves me complety and utterly speachless! I do NOT recommend this place in spite of its good location.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank dim211
Reviewed 10 November 2010

I have read the reviews (good and bad), before my children and I went on vacay, but we are on a budget so I thought I would check it out anyway. The first thing I did was ask to see the room, before I signed in or paid.. The desk person was extremely gracious, and showed me a room that was very clean. I thought it looked ok, and decided to take it. It did have a mini-fridge and a microwave which was great. When I signed in, she said they were going to upgrade my room to one that was bigger so my children would have more room to play. The outdoor pool was great, but too cold for evening swimming in March! The water pressure was great. We only stayed one night (on our way to somewhere else), but I would stay again. It is an older hotel, but since it was clean, the age didn't matter.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family