“Wonderful”

Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic
Ranked #27 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed 2 December 2012

Hotel was in a great location. Staff couldn't have been more helpful. Breakfast was good. Staff gave us great tips on places to eat. We took our son who lives in Calif and he had a great time also. We ate at the Raintree. They had a shuttle that picked you up and brought you back.

2  Thank Joyce O
Mark F, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2012

On behalf of the entire staff at the Holiday Inn, I would like to thank you kindly for giving us such great praise. I am pleased that the staff did their best to make your stay comfortable. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed the Raintree restaurant, which we highly recommend. Thank you again for your valuable time and please visit us again when you are in the St Augustine area.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

Nice hotel, but about a mile from the historic district. Expect a good walk if you are going there. The hotel should offer a free shuttle to the district for the patrons. That would be a good touch. The breakfast that was included was very good and the waitresses were excellent. Rooms was clean and beds comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ATLBC
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

I appreciate you giving your viewpoint regarding our location in relation to the heart of the historic district. I apologize for any inconvenience on our part in that conern also. I will be more than happy to let our breakfast staff know that you were pleased with their service. Thank you for everything and you are always welcome if you are coming back to St Augustine.

Reviewed 25 November 2012

We stayed here after leaving another hotel that disappointed us. The Holiday Inn turned out to be a great choice. The rooms are very clean, the showers are wonderfully soothing with plenty of hot water, and our bed was great. Best night stay of our whole vacation. The staff is very warm and welcoming. We'll be back!

2  Thank Chris C

Thank you for letting us know that the switch you made was welcome. I am sorry that your first choice of accommodations in St Augustine was not up to your expectations, but I am pleased that you choice us as your final choice. I will let everyone know that they gave you a good experience. Thank you again for your time and take care.

Reviewed 24 November 2012

The hotel was clean and the staff was very friendly. I was in town to run a half marathon and I will stay at this location again next year! The location was convenient to the historic district of St. Augustine so we were able to just walk. The hotel was also easy to access from the road so we could get out and explore the area.

Room Tip: Room 215 is right next to the elevator...I would steer clear of that room if you can to avoid noise.
1  Thank Audrey S
Mark F, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

I appreciate you taking the time to give us you praise. I will happily pass along to the staff that everyone treated you well. Also, I am please to hear that the location was convenient for the walk to the Historic District. Thank you very much for time and kind words. Please come and visit us again when you return to St. Augustine.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

We stayed here for a 36hr trip to St Augustine with the kids. We stayed at this hotel because it was close to the historical district with rooms at a reasonable price.

The staff was friendly and we were welcomed with water and oreos for each one of us. The hotel was sold out so we had to take rooms for smokers for a night (we were desperate...we arrived at 2am!) and switched later that morning. During our stay, our rooms were clean and well-appointed considering it is not a 'chic' hotel. The staff was helpful and friendly. It had free Wi-Fi and business center; however, breakfast was not included in our visit.

The hotel is next to the Days Inn. The reference is important because you might pass it as it is hidden behind a business. It is walking distance (0.6 miles according to my GPS) to the information center that is next to the Castillo. You can walk during the day but I would not recommend walking at night. One feels very safe in the area surrounding the information center but the other streets are poorly lite.

You’ll have a wide selection of restaurants and cafes in the area. Since the term 'close' is relative, I’d say that places like Dunkin Donuts, Wendy’s, McDonald’s, and Subway are walking distance (0.2miles) from the hotel.

We travelled with kids (9&14) and this itinerary worked great for us: Old Florida Museum in the morning (highly recommended, especially with Buzz as your guide!), the Castillo and historical district in the afternoon (don't miss the firing of the cannons at 2:30p), and rest at the hotel before taking the Ghost & Gravestones tour in the evening (Julie (guide), Mike, and Kevin were G-R-E-A-T!!!) I will post reviews of these attractions with more details.

Keep in mind that it is hard to find a spot to park your car in the historical district. The covered parking at the information center charges $10 for the whole day but once you exit, you will have to pay the fee again to reenter on the same day.

We had a great time and the hotel location helped make it -though short- a stress free visit. I will definitely consider staying here again if we return to St Augustine.

1  Thank hmmr33326
Mark F, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2012

Thank you kindly for your great survey. I am pleased that you and kids enjoyed yourselves. I will have to recommend the Ghost and Gravestones tour to more people now. Also, I wil pass along to the staff that everyone was friendly to you during your stay. Thank you again for everything and please visit us again for your 37th trip!

Reviewed 19 November 2012

This is a nice hotel with friendly staff. It is a short walk to the historic area -- about a 20 minute walk or a very short cab ride.
The rooms are nice with lots of space. Breakfast is crowded and average at best.

Room Tip: Take the walk to the old town - its a nice walk along a fairly busy street. But worth it.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GoldTraveler7

Thank you kindly for taking the time to let us know how we did during your stay. I will happily pass along to the staff that their friendliness was well met. I am also glad you found the historic district as short walk. Finally, I see that we have room to improve our breakfast and that is no probem. Working towards a higher standard is always a good idea. Thank you again and take care.

Reviewed 17 November 2012

Checked in nicely and promptly. The room they gave me was #201 a king bed jacuzzi suite. This hotel is older, and although not a dump, it is showing its age. I will cut to the main complaint, filthy rooms. The first thing I notice is the humid air in the room and the soured, spoiled smell in the bathroom. There was rust on the inside window blinds, indicative of humidity control issues inside. The grout in the bathroom was pure black, having never been cleaned it seemed. Mold in the grout/tiles in the corner of the tub setup. The ceiling above the shower had mold growing in multiple places and the there were simply mold colonies all over the ceiling.
The bed was comfortable and the A/C worked well. The stay, beyond the smell and sickening mold spore and humidity problem, was ok. Quiet, good nights rest.
The next day I saw the maid service carts and they do NOT use mops to clean the bathrooms. ALL the carts only uses those padded Swifter mops. This explains how black and dirty the bathroom floors are. And even though the carts all had vacuums, on all 3 floors I walked the next morning (until after check out) I never heard or saw anyone using the vacuums.
This hotel should not be more than a 2 star hotel and should not charge what they do. The area of town behind it is not the kind of place you would feel 100% safe walking at night. I felt so icky the next day knowing I breathed in all that mold all night and my clothes had mold spores all over it.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank MiguelT727

I appreciate you bringing these issues to my attention. I will work diligently with housekeeping to have these problems rectified at right away. Thank you and have a great day.