“A little issue with the room keys, but overall, a great experience.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District
Ranked #27 of 79 Hotels in St. Augustine
Rhode Island
“A little issue with the room keys, but overall, a great experience.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

I recently stayed here for one night, in early June. This is a nice, clean hotel in a quiet location.

When I went to check in, the man at the desk told me, "Ok, I just want to be upfront with you. Our key card system is down, so when you need your door unlocked, we will have to open it for you." He said it would be at least 3 or 4 days from this point that it could be repaired. It seemed like he was alluding to the fact that if this wouldn't fly with me, I could get out of my reservation.

Honestly, we were only here for one night, and the only plans we had to come and go from our room was 1) to arrive/put our bags down/freshen up for dinner and 2) to return from dinner for the night. I honestly felt bad for the hotel staff, having to run around and cater to all of the guests, as this is a decent-sized, multi-level hotel. That equates to a lot of doors that would have to be opened, and often.

As expected, we only needed to get back into the room those two times. All I had to do was let the man at the front desk know, and he pleasantly called his associate via walkie-talkie and he / she let us into our room. We barely had to wait. It was really no inconvenience to us, and both times, we were let back in the room by a personable staff member. It was a great customer service way of overcoming what might have been a disastrous few days if the staff didn't take such a positive attitude about the issue.

Hopefully all that is behind them, and you will have a flawless stay. The rooms are spacious, well-decorated and comfy. The bathroom is a good size and bright. Bed was cozy. No complaints with the room at all.

Although this is the historical district hotel, it's not like this hotel is right in the middle of the action. It's a few streets off from what I'd truly say is the historical district. It's not a big deal. You can drive to the thick of the historical area in just a few minutes time, like less than five. I'm thinking it would be too far of a walk to the thick of the main tourist area(s).

There are plenty of public places to park if you're driving away from the hotel to sightsee, etc. St. Augustine has the most beautifully decorated parking garage from the outside I've ever seen! From the outside, I thought it was a museum! We also found a small lot near a wax museum that we paid $5 in a pre-pay machine to park one night while we had dinner at The Floridian. Look for my review on that restaurant, as well as The Present Moment Cafe. As far as St. Augustine restaurants go, those you don't want to miss. Also, we visited the St. Augustine Lighthouse. You won't want to miss out on that, either!

While we chose to drive ourselves around the city to sightsee, there are tour trolleys available. Double check with the hotel, but I think one leaves right from this Holiday Inn at possibly 9 a.m., but don't quote me, I'm going off memory. Definitely check with the hotel and/our tour trolley company. The trolley guy said the tickets were about $22 per person (or so) and were good for two days. It's the kind of tour where you can get off at certain major tour spots in town and reboard as often as you like.

This was my first trip to St. Augustine and the only bad part was that I was there for less than 24 hours, as we were en route home from a cruise, and this was just a quick stop over. I can't wait to go back, and stay hopefully a whole week someday! I would have no problem staying at this same hotel again, with or without key card issue!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Thank you very much for giving us a complete picture of your stay. First, we definitely have the key card issue in hand and we greatly appreciate your patience. I trust that you enjoyed your time in the historic district although you only had one day to experience everything. Any time you find yourself in the area please come and visit us again. Take care and have a fantastic day.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Hardyville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

The day we arrived, we stood at the front desk for approximately 15 minutes while the one employee that cared enough to actually stay in place, chatted with another potential customer on the phone. There had been a second employee behind the desk when we walked in, but for whatever reason, he was walking away....the phone was ringing constantly while we were standing there, but since Employee #1 was busy on the phone, those calls went unattended. As did we....Several other times, we looked for help from the staff at the front desk, but it is non-existent, and if you are lucky to find a human there, they REFUSE to look you eye to eye....like Cruella Deville, they'll wave their hand in the direction they expect you to go.

The sleep sofa that our 5 year old slept on was a joke. It sagged deeply in the middle and because of her age, she didn't wake up needing to see a chiropractor ASAP.

Our room was maybe 78 degrees, if we were lucky, but because we could never find anyone at the desk after our initial check-in, we didn't bother saying anything...we knew it would fall on deaf ears. The lobby was filthy....all the carpets looked as though they hadn't been vacuumed in years. We couldn't wait to leave.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, don't stay here.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing the salient points of your stay with us. I apologize for the wait you experienced at the front desk, and at times guests call from their rooms for assistance and someone has to respond in those situations, otherwise if two clerks are present both clerks will remain on duty. Regarding the room, I will be more than happy to work on these issues with maintenance in order to avoid future issues. Thank you again for your time and have a great day.
Dubai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

I paid for a 3 start hotel (which this barely is) for a 1 or 2 star price on a discount travel website. The rooms themselves just barely made the grade.

Much of the other things I have read on other reviews are true. The walls are thin (you will be awakened early) and the pool noise echos into rooms in a bad way.

It is a LONG walk for most of the attractions and the historic district (not recommended in the summer hear)... I didn't even bother with the hotel restaurant as there are better options for breakfast close by... There are also better hotel options if you want to spend a bit more. Picky travelers take note.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Thank you giving us your point of view regarding your stay. Your comments will be used to improve satisfaction with our breakfast items. Concerning the structural matters of the hotel, your comments will be passed along to ownership for review.
Thomasville, Ga
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

When I checked in, I jokingly said to the desk clerk that I hoped this wasn't the one I had registered in at it is so far from the historic district. Unfortunately, it was the one. It is no where near the district!!!!!
The cleaning service didn't pick up dirty cups in the room and we didn't have bath mats in the bathroom. If I go back to St. Augustine, I will stay in the historic district.

1 Thank cigarstock
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I apologize for the fact that our location was not exactly as expected. Concerning housekeeping, I regret that housekeeping was not up to our usual excellent standards for your party. Thank you once more and have a great day.
Cocoa Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

the hotel is not (even by the front desk hotel staff admission) within walking distance of the historic district . it sits behind a garage on a tacky cheap hotel strip at least a half a mile from the center historic district. you try walking that on a hot florida day. the breakfast buffet is on the same standards as a free breakfast buffet provided by most holiday inn expresses ( sausage and gravy) and is very expensive . other guests complained to us about the breakfast in the parking lot. The pool is the size of a postage stamp and sits in the parking lot.The gym has 3 pieces of equipment and the one treadmill was broken during our stay. There is no trolley service to the historic district or the spanish quarter after 4:00 for diinner. The ice machine on our floor was broken . The worst part is the walls and connecting door , the couple next door i am guessing were on their honeymoon . i got no sleep that night you can here every sound thru the walls and connecting door. i complained to staff, management and holiday inn corporate. i will not even waste space on thier response. do not stay here. i have for my previous last two visits spent the weekends at the best western spanish quarter a 2 star hotel that is twice as good as this pathetic holiday inn. just don't is my advise

Room Tip: there are no good rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District, responded to this review, 29 June 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your experience during your stay with us. Your comments will be used to improve our service to create a better guest service experience for our future guests. Thank you once more for your time.
The Sea Ranch, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night while touring Florida to enjoy St Augustine. We found the hotel noisy and in need of a good deep cleaning. Any noise (doors closing, conversations, people walking etc.) in the hallway can be easily heard in the room making it impossible to sleep. There was a family reunion and a wedding at the hotel so the hallways were very noisy and busy late at night and early in the morning. The bathroom was very small with only enough space for one person. The best part was there was free parking and the staff was very helpful and friendly. The hotel is a 5 minute drive from Old Town St. Augustine but not close enough to walk to.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank twickski
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
I regret that you found the hotel noisy during your stay. I thank you for your kind words about the staff and I will happily pass along the good news. I hope that you enjoyed your visit into the historic district. Take care and have a great day.

Florida, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Cons: The King sized Bed was so hard that we tossed and turned all night. We didn't get any sleep for the two nights that we stayed there. We where asked what kind of room we wanted to start with and we requested a Handicap room on the first floor. When we got there they put us on the second floor and told us that at this price point of $130.00 with no Breakfast included this was this best they could do. Newsflash: la Quinta includes there Breakfast and cost less at $104.00 same location.
Pros: We did get new Furniture and the staff was very helpful in getting me a chair for the shower put in. The room was mostly clean and large enough.

Room Tip: It dosen't matter what you choose they will have something different when you get there.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Lemley52
I appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. I very much regret that your accommodations needs were not met for your stay. Concerning breakfast, our hotel offers a full service breakfast with servers and menu items, so this service unfortunately cannnot be offered complimentary.