“Acceptable but Not impressed :/”

Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic
Ranked #30 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Orlando, Florida
“Acceptable but Not impressed :/”
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Check in with Rose was pleasant. She was great and informative. The internet was not usable it went in&out and was so slow when connected the page would time out. Do not stay here if ur dependent on reliable internet. Room was clean but it was far from a suite. It was a hotel room with suite furniture crammed into it. (And the ihg website says nothing about a "mini-suite") its either a suite or its not and this is not. Also, we found an advertisement for lower rate in a magazine but holiday inn guarantees "the lowest rate" :/ guess not! The hotel restaurant is rarely open and closes early (8pm? on friday). The next morning the maid had no clean sheet sets on her cart? (Awkward) I called the front desk and they said they wud send some but we never rcvd. I stopped at the front desk to let them know and the gentleman was preoccupied and annoyed I was interrupting him and said he would personally give me some when I returned. In other words he didnt want to get them for me then, I guess? I also noticed he was very unkept, needed a haircut, etc and I rarely notice these things about people so it had to be pretty bad. (He had an unkept faux mo hawk) smh... The pool was great, breakfast was good. The hotel is not in the historic district but a few blocks over so depending on the purpose of your visit can be good or bad. There are defintely closer places to stay but most are motels and look older than here. I do not know if we will stay again. I do not like to be an unappreciated guest when there are so many other selections. The fact this hotel just "gets by" for holiday inn standards annoys me. They are not would you would expect for a full service holiday inn.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
I would like to start by thanking you for letting me know how well Rosie did taking care of you. I will let her know right away. I apologize for any inconvenience with the Internet during your stay. The incident with the clerk when you requested housekeeping items is regrettable and I will have it addressed. On behalf of the staff I would like to offer you another opportunity for us to provide you with improved service when you return to St Augustine. Thank you for everything.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 24 February 2014

After 19 cyclist showed up in the lobby dripping wet from a large rainstorm, The staff provided us with towels to dry off with and rags to wipe our bikes. When arrived very early because we didn't want to be in the rain any longer than necessary, but the staff did their very best to get us into our rooms ASAP. We all enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: The location is walking distance to the downtown area.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Your praise is much appreciated. We enjoyed having your group with us. You were very brave to ride in the rain so my hat is off to you! Take care and please visit us again.

Rochester, MN
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We ended up only staying one night on our trip back North; saw enough of St Augustine focusing on the lighthouse and mostly historical sights plus a few shops downtown (there is a lot of questionable value "schlocky" stuff to see, so be careful). This is an older hotel a bit of a hike to the downtown but 5-6 blocks walkable in nice weather and just a block or so from the Mission and Fountain of Youth exhibits. We initially had a room someone had smoked in but the front desk gratiously gave a better upgrade suite even though they were sold out that night. Excellent breakfast buffet in the morning.

Room Tip: While close to the "main drag" Hwy 1 we heard no road noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
I trust that you had fun on your walk to the heart of the historic district. I apologize for the condition of your first room regarding the smoke. I will also make certain that I give the good news to the breakfast staff that they did a good job for you during your stay. Have a great day.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I stayed two nights at this HI which is well within walking distance of the old town area. The front desk fellow was very welcoming, helpful and professional. I reserved online at their website for $100 but later noticed a coupon booklet rate of $76 (advertised as the same offer if you phone for a reservation) which I showed to the desk clerk (Brendan?) and he immediately matched the rate with no fuss. But why wouldn't IHC offer the lowest rate to club clients online?

My room, a double queen, was large but crammed with way too much furniture which made it feel small. And too bad they use those harsh white light bulbs. Housekeeping was a little too relaxed (when I left the first morning at 9:30, the chamber maid saw me exit but by 3:30, when I returned, the room had not yet been made up). The breakfast buffet was good and the servers quite pleasant.

Not a bad deal in St Augustine by any means. If the room had felt less crowded and if housekeeping was more on-the-ball, the hotel would rank as a four- or five-star facility.

Room Tip: A king room might feel less over-furnished
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank chasinchelsea
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
To begin with I will happily pass along your accolades to the front desk and I am certain they will appreciate it. Concerning the coupons, those are a local advertisement by our franchise owner, with no association to IHG. Next, I apologize for your accommodations not being ready when you returned to the hotel and I understand your frustration on that matter. I will also let the breakfast staff know that they did an excellent job for you during your stay. Thank you for everything and have a great day.

IL
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Hard to find…located behind an auto repair shop frontage off the main highway. Standard HI hotel layout with hallway down the middle and rooms on both sides, crosswalk doors in the middle of building. Outside pool. Benjy checked us in and was friendly with lots of local information and restaurant suggestions. However he fails at room assignments. He read aloud from onscreen my request for a QUIET room and proceeded to place me in a room with an internal connecting door with a bawling baby and brawling parents! When we returned from dinner, the hall was filled with two bus-loads of teenage girls in PJ’s running up and down the length of the building for a slumber party. Loudest hotel I have ever seen, with complete lack of sleep. Upon checkout, Michele was sympathetic to our lack of sleep due to noise. But there is nothing unique about this place other than noise.

Room Tip: If there is a tour bus or school bus in the lot, cancel your reservation and keep going. Very high...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
First of all I see that it was not as easy to locate us as expected and for that I apologize. I will let Benjamin know that he was gracious to you upon check in but unfortunately did not place you as requested. Overall I apologize for the noise issue during your stay and I appreciate you mentioning it so that we may improve our room assignments during group stays. Thank you and take care.

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

If your coming to st aug for first time may want to stay closer to downtown. Parking in the city is terrible. The room had a funky smell to me. My girlfriend did not smell anything. Everything else was clean. Staff very friendly. Other guest not so much. Good hotel can be better. Charged 7 dollars more than I reserved for when I checked in

• Stayed February 2014
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I apologize for any odor in your room, and any time during a stay we will be more than happy to deodorize your accommodations for you. I will let the staff know that their friendliness was appreciated. As to the $7, our rooms are authorized for either 7% or $7 over the room rent depending upon the method of payment, but the room charge is all that remains for the charge. Thank you again and have a great day.

St Augustine
Reviewed 13 February 2014

The manager Benjy went out of his way to make our stay exceptional. Thanks for the hospitality. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in St Augustine. The rooms are clean and the location is exceptional. .........................

• Stayed February 2014
You are correct that Benjamin is an execptional individual. Any time you find yourself in the St Augustine area, please visit us and give us the opportunity to continue to give you marvelous service. Take care.