“Non Gay Friendly Hotel with Good Location”

Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic
Ranked #29 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Athens, Georgia
“Non Gay Friendly Hotel with Good Location”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The Good:
The location pretty good, its about .8 miles to historic downtown which you can walk to or take the trolley ($25 for three day pass). I forgot a toothbrush and the front desk gave me one for free.

The Bad:
I found blood on my sheets and pillow case. I took the sheets from the other bed and in the morning I went to the front desk and requested for all my sheets to be changed because I they had blood on them. The agent told me that they change the sheets every time they clean the room (not sure if they really do). I said okay, and went back to my room. They agent never asked which room I was in or even said sorry.
Breakfast is not free, which is fine, we just went to a local restaurant instead, also there is a Denny's next door.

The Ugly:
I was traveling with my partner (gay). When we checked in we where given a double room. The front desk agent made a joke about traveling with my friend. I didn't correct him I just requested a King (the agent kinda gave me a face) and then told he could not change our room because the assignment was made earlier in the day and he could not change it this late in the night (we checked in around midnight). I don't believe the hotel was full either. I don't usually feel people treat me different because I am gay but this is one of the few times I felt I was being judged.

Room Tip: There are no views at this hotel, so I don't think it really matters where the room is.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stephenmolloy
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Hi and thank you for your review on our hotel and i do apologize for the frustrations you encountered while staying with us and i would really like to know more about your stay with us. I want to correct the issues and make sure this never happens again.
When you get a free moment if you could please get in touch with me at 904 494 2100 or at barry.peckham@jalaramhotels.com.

Barry Peckham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Zephyrhills, Florida
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I stayed 2 nights the end of April to do some sightseeing around St. Augustine. Benjy checked us in and we asked him to recommend a seafood restaurant. We wanted the "locals" restaurant and not a chain restaurant. He sent us to the Schooner Restaurant. The food and service was great. He told us to wait until after 5:30pm as by then the crowds would have thinned out. He was right. We enjoyed an excellent meal. He also recommended that we take the trolley around the city. There is not a lot of parking and you do have to feed the meter. The trolleys offer free parking. Benjy said to ride the trolley once around the city and pick the places we wanted to see. It was an excellent idea. We did the areas we were really interested in. Benjy is great with the guests. Our room was clean and comfortable. This hotel doesn't offer a free continential breakfast, but does have a Cafe that offers a continential buffet for $9 or order off the menu for $12. All the other staff were very courteous and friendly, I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Hi and thank you for that review, all feedback is appreciated as it does help us improve services and reward employees that stand out, our front desk team do and excellent job in helping with any information on the Old Town or places to eat and relax. We are lucky in St Augustine to have such a bounty of great restaurants, we also have a restaurant open for breakfast and dinner and the food is really good.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Priceline bid on this one for a night. Passed it driving south on the main road, but it is easier to see if you are northbound.

Quick check-in. Helpful front desk that recommended a place for dinner after mentioning that our initial pick had been giving past guests food poisoning.

A good stop for a night or two in the area. Anything more than a weekend stay and another hotel may be a better option.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheTangoFox
Hi and thank you for your review, our staff do an excellent job when it comes to taking care of guests needs and i will share your comments with them. We are fortunate to have restaurants with in walking distance and attractions close by too.
We do have the trolleys that pick up outside our hotel and there are cabs that can be arranged for you if you want to wonder a bit further away.

Thanks Again
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

After a long day travelling we had a very quick check in by Michele L - very good and efficient at her job. Could not fault her efrficiency.
Having a good stay so far. Not all staff are so well briefed as Michele L.

Room Tip: 2nd and 3rd floor seem to have better rooms - not all rooms have a safe though.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Good Day and thank you for that review, Michelle and the front desk do a great job in taking care of the guests and all their requests. I will share your comments with her and thank you for staying with us.
We look forward to your next visit.
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Bit of an odd night at the Holiday Inn. Guests were dumping their mattresses into the hallway, and cots were being rolled in. You do the math.

Location is great, staff is a bit eccentric. Mixed impression of this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
Hi Thank you for your recent review , we appreciate all feedback as it does help us improve services , i did see your comment about the bed in the hallway and that is strange but after much investigating it turned out to be a small accident.
St. Pete Beach, Florida
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised. I was here on a school trip from st. Pete, so we didn't get to choose where we stayed. It was clean, nice, and the breakfast was surprisingly good. I would rate this 4 to 5 stars.

• Stayed May 2014
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Hi There
Thank you for your review and we love having school groups come through. I am glad your stay with us was enjoyable and St Augustine is full of history and there is so much to see and do and i know the kids must have had a blast.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This Holiday Inn is situated next to the historical district attractions with free parking. There wasn't much of a view from my room window but the room itself was well appointed (inc. microwave) and a comfortable bed. With the discount rate I got, it was a great value and nothing to really complain about other than the WiFi was sluggish. Would definitely stay again if the opportunity arises.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Hi and thank you for your review . We do appreciate all feedback as it does help us improve our services. We do have fridges,microwaves,irons and coffee makers in all the rooms. We are close to downtown and have many attractions close by.
I am glad your stay was enjoyable and we look forward to seeing you again.