“Old But Not Boring: History Brought to Life” 4 of 5 bubbles

and up
St Augustine Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley Tour
Ranked #74 of 178 things to do in St. Augustine
More attraction details
Owner description: A hands-on way to experience daily living activities from pre-European times to 1926.
Jacksonville, Florida
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Old But Not Boring: History Brought to Life”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Saw an online deal for this and thought why not check it out? Since it involved outdoor hands-on activities I waited til it was cooler and was glad I did as it is essentially an early wooden Spanish fort/compound and a mock Indian camp of the same era--naturally with no AC! There weren't many guides on hand as it was a Sunday and I think their main business is during the week with school groups but the 3 that we saw were authentically dressed and both knowledgeable and entertaining. Hands on activities included colonial period games, candle-dipping, music making and dancing among many others. You are also encouraged to assume a "role" with choices like soldier, carpenter, cook, etc and given short a questionaire to complete and earn "doubloons" to trade for small trinkets in the gift shop once the tour ends. You can spend as much time as you want and pick and choose among the activities. As an adult with an interest in history I found the experience enjoyable and worthwhile and the kids we saw also seemed to be having fun and even asking intelligent questions! I highly recommend it for kids of all ages. It is also easy to find at San Marco and SR16 and parking is free.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank zildana

Orlando, Florida
“Fun and entertaining way to learn history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Loved Armando and all the information. He was very engaging. Continually got me to work for coins. Made candles. Played a game. Generally walked between the rain drops to learn a lot about a very interesting part of history. The actor makes the time period come alive. Asking what job you want, listing about 4 but allows for the 'tourist' to be a slacker. You still will work, it is part of the interaction. Fun to do. Ground corn.

Fort Lauderdale, fl
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Very Boring Tour”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

Our "villager" seemed very unenthusiastic. Overall, the place was just lackluster. The only cool part was that you get to do a "job" and get "ducados" for doing it, which you can then spend in the gift shop for various small items. Glad we had a Groupon and did not pay full price.

1 Thank goldstein2749
Candice L, Public Relations Manager at Old Florida Museum, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Greetings goldstein2749,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry our guides and museum did not meet up to your expectations. Usually our villagers are very enthusiastic and the atmosphere is realistic to what early St. Augustine may have felt like: rustic and primitive. Lackluster is never our intention, though some do get that impression.

I will be discussing the importance of enthusiasm with my staff, but all the same, I would like to hear more about your experience and gain further insight from you. Feedback is what keeps us improving and growing and I encourage everyone to give us feedback as soon as possible. Please feel free to contact with any details you feel I should be aware of.

We are glad you took advantage of our Groupon offer and enjoyed choosing a job and earning/spending our gold coins. We ask you to give us a second chance, on-the-house, to see if we have improved in presentation. Contact me at your convenience if you are interested in this offer.

Thank you again for taking the time to give us feedback and for visiting Old Florida Museum. We hope to see you again in the future.

Candice L.
Georgia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

We visited on a Sunday, which is apparently a slow day usually. Since we're local, tickets cost $6 each and it was well worth it. A period guide takes you into the museum as a group and you pick your occupation. You're given a scroll with a list of questions; by playing games, doing chores and activities and reading/listening you can earn coins to help purchase small goodies in the gift shop.

My ten year-old LOVED this place. I had only anticipated spending an hour or so, and at the 2+ hour mark I was dragging her out as we had prior reservations elsewhere. I did notice some families left sooner; I think it's one of the those places that is what you make of it. The guides were excellent and very knowledgeable. I think if you just wander around aimlessly, you won't get much from the experience. Read the signage, play the games, ask the guides questions and you'll have a very good experience.

I'm sure if we ever visit St. Augustine again, my child will definitely be putting this on the must-do list.

St. Augustine, Florida
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Fantastic Florida museum. Hands on, great for kids and adults.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

We went for a 4 th grade field trip. I thought the people who worked there were interesting, friendly and knowledgable. They did not seem put out or bored. The students never lost attention (nor did I). Everyone said how much they enjoyed the visit. The young man who did the "Spanish section" was phenomenal.

Visited April 2013