“A great way to learn about Florida”
Review of Old Florida Museum

and up
St Augustine Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley Tour
Ranked #74 of 187 things to do in St. Augustine
More attraction details
Owner description: A hands-on way to experience daily living activities from pre-European times to 1926.
Clermont, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A great way to learn about Florida”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

This was a most excellent tour. We were a group of adults and greeted with the same enthusiasm that I read about for kids. Because of this, it was the best tour we've experienced. We learned about early Floridian life, making candles and such. I recommend this to anyone who is willing to interact with the tour guide. Great, great time!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Rivercitychef

Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Don 't Miss for Kids”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Friend or foe! A ship! Candle-making! Corn grinding. Washable Indian face paint and tattoos.
These are just some of the intriguing things we experienced at this museum, while learning about Timucuan Indians and early Spanish settlers. It is geared to elementary- age children. Upon entering, each visitor in a group is assigned a role, such as cook, builder, scribe or warrior. Just perfect for kids ages 3 to 12. Spanish coins are awarded for jobs well done. These can then be used in the gift shop. Tours last about an hour, but children will be happy to stay longer and role-play. One of the best Educational Museums for young children that I have ever been to. Have fun. Hope you like it.

Visited November 2013
Jacksonville, Florida
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Old But Not Boring: History Brought to Life”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Saw an online deal for this and thought why not check it out? Since it involved outdoor hands-on activities I waited til it was cooler and was glad I did as it is essentially an early wooden Spanish fort/compound and a mock Indian camp of the same era--naturally with no AC! There weren't many guides on hand as it was a Sunday and I think their main business is during the week with school groups but the 3 that we saw were authentically dressed and both knowledgeable and entertaining. Hands on activities included colonial period games, candle-dipping, music making and dancing among many others. You are also encouraged to assume a "role" with choices like soldier, carpenter, cook, etc and given short a questionaire to complete and earn "doubloons" to trade for small trinkets in the gift shop once the tour ends. You can spend as much time as you want and pick and choose among the activities. As an adult with an interest in history I found the experience enjoyable and worthwhile and the kids we saw also seemed to be having fun and even asking intelligent questions! I highly recommend it for kids of all ages. It is also easy to find at San Marco and SR16 and parking is free.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank zildana
Orlando, Florida
“Fun and entertaining way to learn history”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Loved Armando and all the information. He was very engaging. Continually got me to work for coins. Made candles. Played a game. Generally walked between the rain drops to learn a lot about a very interesting part of history. The actor makes the time period come alive. Asking what job you want, listing about 4 but allows for the 'tourist' to be a slacker. You still will work, it is part of the interaction. Fun to do. Ground corn.

Visited September 2013
Fort Lauderdale, fl
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Very Boring Tour”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Our "villager" seemed very unenthusiastic. Overall, the place was just lackluster. The only cool part was that you get to do a "job" and get "ducados" for doing it, which you can then spend in the gift shop for various small items. Glad we had a Groupon and did not pay full price.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank goldstein2749
Candice L, Public Relations Manager at Old Florida Museum, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Greetings goldstein2749,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry our guides and museum did not meet up to your expectations. Usually our villagers are very enthusiastic and the atmosphere is realistic to what early St. Augustine may have felt like: rustic and primitive. Lackluster is never our intention, though some do get that impression.

I will be discussing the importance of enthusiasm with my staff, but all the same, I would like to hear more about your experience and gain further insight from you. Feedback is what keeps us improving and growing and I encourage everyone to give us feedback as soon as possible. Please feel free to contact with any details you feel I should be aware of.

We are glad you took advantage of our Groupon offer and enjoyed choosing a job and earning/spending our gold coins. We ask you to give us a second chance, on-the-house, to see if we have improved in presentation. Contact me at your convenience if you are interested in this offer.

Thank you again for taking the time to give us feedback and for visiting Old Florida Museum. We hope to see you again in the future.

Candice L.