“Can't wait to stay at the St. George Inn again!”
Review of St. George Inn

St. George Inn
Ranked #6 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed 18 December 2009

The Inn in located in the heart of historic and romantic St. Augustine and within walking distance of most of the attractions in the area. The staff is incredibly friendly, welcoming and knowledgeable. The rooms are very clean and well appointed and the blueberry bread that they served as part of the continental breakfast was to die for. We couldn’t have been happier with this Inn and have already planned our return trip!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IslandGirl071
There are newer reviews for St. George Inn

Reviewed 2 December 2009

We were so excited to stay in this historic section...but we soon realized it is LOUD from the people on the street below; the exhaust fans running from the stores below and people ringing the old schoolhouse bell! If you want to sleep at all stay elsewhere!!

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
8  Thank TravelGirlie2
Reviewed 18 November 2009

This place was a very pleasant surprise. Its only been around about 8 years but completely is at home in the ancient city of St Augustine. The staff is the best, you can't beat the location and the rates are good (get one of their trolley, museum, ghost tour packages). Parking is a reasonable $5 per day and they have great showers (always important). There are no surprises on their breakfast buffet but it is fresh and plentiful.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2009

I found the St. George Inn to be clean, the staff was courteous, and eager to help. However, there is not really anything except the location that is any more special than any of the nicer chains you can stay at in town...

The pros are location... and location. The rooms are clean, and about on par with what you'd find at a Hampton Inn.

The cons:
1. The walls are THIN. We thought, erroneously, that this was a historic hotel, based on its location, but it was built in 2002, according to the girl at the front desk. And they built it on a budget - we could clearly hear our neighbor's TV and ALL the traffic on the street until the wee hours. If you don't want to share all your in-room activities with the folks in the next room, stay somewhere else. This killed any thought of romance for my wife and I...

2. For $199 a night - why isn't parking INCLUDED? Its a bit of an insult to make me pay $5 a day on top of that to park my car in an unsecure public parking garage.

3. The price - if I have to park in the public garage and can hear my neighbors every move, why stay here? I could have stayed at a chain a few miles away for half the price.

4. The TV - fifteen channels??? Come on, what is this, 1977 UHF? This is not acceptable at this price point.

5. No desk service 8pm-8am. Want ice after 8pm? Sorry, no ice until the office opens...

If you have to be right in the middle of town, this is the place for you. But you can get all the amenities at half the price if you don't mind driving a couple miles to get downtown. Really don't think its a good value at all...

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank gatormark91
Reviewed 6 October 2009

This place was great! I have only been to St Augustine once and just fell in love with the place... My first stay was in a hostel and it was really fun and I went with friends... this time I went with my mother in law and my man... I was trying to find a place that would be affordable but where we could get two separate rooms since we were traveling with a 3rd person... well the St George Inn really pulled through... They just happen to have one room (No. 21) it's a "Nina Room" and it has "almost" 2 bedrooms with one shared bath... I wasn't sure what I was in store for but the price was right and it was at the perfect location... So once we got there we found out what "almost" stood for... you walk in the room and there is a bed on the right... then there is a bathroom that separates the room into 2 halfs sort of... then there is a second bed on the other side... it was perfect for what we needed it for....it has a great balcony with comfortable rocking chairs and a table so you can have your breakfast outside or a smoke from the cigar shop across the plaza... it has a great view of the fort and it's right on the walking street... so you can walk to everything... I am a plus sized person and even though there were stairs it was just one flight and the chairs all fit me and the walking street (that has everything on it) is only about 5 to 7 small blocks (tip--- there are plus sized folding chairs in the plaza in case the smaller chairs scare yah... they are slightly larger so be sure to look carefully)... the breakfast was perfect for starting the day... it wasn't a full breakfast or anything but most of us don't eat a proper breakfast anyways...they had bagels, breads (with toppings such as: butter, cream cheese, Peanut Butter & Jelly), cheese, yogurt, OJ, fruit, snack bars and lastly... they had some GREAT coffee... so what more do yah need.... the room was super clean and they even provided ashtrays for us smokers (outside only - but the balcony is covered)... the parking was weird but the staff made it an easy process and they even carried all our luggage upstairs for us... but once you parked you didn't need a car... really, all the best parts of St Augustine were in walking distance... except the beach but if you know anything about St Auggies, the beach isn’t where it’s at... LOL... it’s really all about the older part of town... so the beach is just a daytime trip anyways...we hired a taxi since they were really affordable to take us out there and had some fun in the sand and surf... i would recommend All Seeing Eye Cab... they gave us a great rate... the info was found in the book that the Inn leaves in your room... make sure to check that book out... they actually tell you all the local restaurants and even list free stuff in case you are on a budget... I didn't bring my laptop with me but the staff kindly let me use their computers to check my emails and the place is Wi-Fi ready so if you do bring your laptop you can get signal... I would also recommend going to the Winery just down the street they have some great dessert wines that are perfect for opening up on your balcony or gifts for friends at home... I am totally looking forward to going back to St Augustine and I am personally only staying at the St George Inn... It was everything that we needed and more... Thanks for reading and good luck with your travels.... Remember... All who wander are not lost :-)

• Stayed: September 2009
3  Thank pina_col
Reviewed 20 September 2009

My family and I recently stayed over the weekend in Nina rooms #18 and #19. We arrived at the main office of the Inn located on Orange St and Spanish St where we were greeted and helped with our luggage up to our rooms. I was then given the magnetic card to the parking garage which is located about a block away that allowed me unlimited in/out access. The hotel provides a discounted rate for the parking garage. When I entered the rooms I was very happy to see how clean and spacious they actually were. They had 2 queen beds, desks, dressers, refrigerator and room to spare. This was great as we were traveling with a 5 month old, travel crib and the works. The bathroom had both a shower and tub. The beds and pillows were extremely comfortable. At the end of our visit we spoke with the owner that added that they too have the same beds at home. The rooms are located on the top floor of the building so I was concerned at first about keeping the rooms cool, but fortunately the A/C unit was perfect and comfort was never an issue. We were able to get free WiFi in our room. These rooms do not have an elevator but are only two flights of stairs which work well to burn off any calories consumed at the fudge shop or cafe located downstairs. Room #19 has a view of Castillo de San Marcos and room #18 has a view of the oldest wooden schoolhouse courtyard. The Inn is situated at the entrance of St. George St. and the Old City Gates. St. George St. is a pedestrian street with shops, restaurants and bars located on it. It is a great location to have as a base camp, walk around and return should you need to. In the mornings we would get our breakfast from the office that consisted of croissants, bagels, yogurts, banana bread, cheese, assorted spreads, excellent coffee regular/decaf, orange juice and assorted teas. It was delicious and we got our fill. The office was also the spot that we would stock up on our ice. A helpful tool to give this Inn and St. Augustine perspective is a free map from www.trolleytours.com/st-augustine/route-map.asp. I really enjoyed St. George Inn. It has a great location, very comfortable beds and extremely clean. It is a family run Inn and am glad that we were able to support local in these times. I look forward to returning to St. Augustine and staying at the St. George Inn.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank svnchipmunks
Reviewed 8 September 2009

Called at the last minute and got a nice room with a wonderful view of both the City Gate and the Fortress. Granted, at night time, with the room overlooking the city walk, it can be a bit noisy. The crowds die down at around 10pm so, it wasn't too distracting.

A cafe right across the courtyard added to the the atmosphere. One thing I did find negative was a cigar shop right across the way and all the folks enjoying their cigars did create a "smell" of cigars smoke - being a nonsmoker, that did annoy me. Not the Inn's fault in any way.

Overall, a nice place at a great location! Ensure that you get a pass for the parking garage from the front desk so you don't pay parking fees. The staff was outstanding as well as extremely helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family