“Prom queen has aged into a overweight old woman”
Review of Sea Fair Restaurant - CLOSED

Sea Fair Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed 11 April 2013

My wife and I had been to the Sea Fare 20 years ago and had fond memories.

We had high hopes! It was exactly as we remembered it. I mean exactly! Same booths, same paint, even the same fixtures. It was both familiar and in another way eerey.

I mean, the silverware, the plates, cups, everything looked as if it were still the same from 20 years ago, ( I mean the exact same ones!)

We asked for water with some lemon. They had "no lemon!" (This must be the only seafood restraunt in America without lemon).

We expected a nice appetizer. What we got was some pie crust chips with some kind of weird melted cheese (proceeded), dip.

My wife got a steak. (She says it was very good!) I on the other hand had the shrimp ( which was overlooked and to be frank, not very good).

The drinks were a bright spot as my wife got a Bahamas blue that would put a mortal man into a coma. I got a rum runner which was a little more tame but had a nice bite.

The waitresses seemed to be very busy, ( unfortunately it didn't seem that providing service to the customers were what they were busy with). Rather, they all seemed to congregate around the owners table and gush over them and their family. (I guess waitress jobs are hard to come by in st. Augustine!

To sum it up, this place is very rundown. Has no ambiance , with mediocre food at best, and at 60.00+ for two people is not up to the prices they charged!

Sorry Sea Fare. We loved the memory of you for years! ( but much like the prom queen you had a crush on when you were in high school has turned out to be a fat hog when you see her at the 25th anniversary school reunion!)

We'll just have to remember how great she used to be. But, sadly, the Sea Fare is past her prime.

Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

Service was not inviting and food was not fresh. Wouldn't plan in going back. The worst part was when we left we had to say good night to the owner as he couldn't be bothered to thank us for going to his place!

Reviewed 28 February 2013

Jonathon was our server and we think he is worth his weight in GOLD! We had the onion rings as an appetizer. Scrumptious..just the way I remember onion rings from when I was a kid. They are batter dipped and cooked to perfection. I had the whole lobster that came with crab stuffing, baked potato and collard greens. Steve had the shrimp with fries and coleslaw. We both thought that this was the best meal of all of our 6 weeks in Florida. The restaurant also provides a cheese dip with homemade crackers and something called corn nippers that taste like funnel cakes from the fair and were as my friend Ruth would say "to die for". The whole bill was $37.10 for the 2 of us including soft drink and coffee. A 1st rate meal at a bargan price...I am thinking.
Ask for Jonathon, he is attentive, a great waiter, and has a sense of humor. Yes the decor is old florida, but we were there for the food. Extremely pleased with our meal.

Reviewed 8 February 2013

It;s Friday, and I'm already looking foward to eating wonderful seafood or prime rib at the Sea Fair. As a bonue, we'll probably see familar faces. My mother consistently wants to eat there, because of the food, and the genuine warmth of the owners and staff. They make her feel welcome. Hope to see you there.

Reviewed 29 December 2012

We sat down and asked abut the available beers and were told they were out of draft beer but had bottles. OK. Yet for the next half hour (since we had nothing better to do) we saw draft beers being served. I asked if the seafood platter came with any preparation for the fish other than fried and was told 'no', yet the same fish is available as the catch of the day broiled, grilled, blackened, etc. Why?
We settled on our order and waited...and waited. Then we waited some more. At one point we wondered if our waitress had quit because it had been a good 10 minutes since we saw her at all. Alas, no. She came out and ignored us. We saw people who came in well after us enjoying their dinner. Attempts to waive down our waitress (with flailing arms even) failed. We got up and walked out. One of our company tried to explain at the reception area and was told, "I'll be with you in a minute". Five minutes later, she gave up.
All this on a night when it wasn't particularly crowded. There were plenty of empty tables. I wonder why...