“Sadly disappointed- mildew smell, screeching elevator, carpet pulling away from tile, and rust in the bathroom.”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Augustine Downtown Historic District
Ranked #43 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed 21 October 2012

I had spent a week trying to determine where we wanted to stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary, and finally found out that we were coming in to town during Octoberfest and hotels were booking fast. After a lot of searching I selected Country Inn & Suites because of its previous review, location, and due to my personal opinion of their pricing being moderate and not "too cheap" for fear of a bad experience, and/or "too pricey" for fear of breaking the bank. With that said, we paid $205 a night and stayed for 2 nights. The location wasn't bad, not super close to the historic part of town, approximately 2 miles away from it, but all in all, not too bad. However, when we first walked in to the room, we were immediately hit with a musky and moldy smell. The carpet was pulling away from the tile around the jacuzzi tub in the room (which we never used out of fear of cleanliness) exposing the tac strip, and the bath/shower was rusty, including the metal filter on the hairdryer. We immediately got onto our computers and contemplated finding another place and fighting for our money back, however we were stuck due to no other availability. We were happy with the free breakfast, and the hard working man who helped to maintain the food and cleanliness every morning, however, that was the only pleasant part of our stay. On the day of check out after breakfast we returned to our room to pack up and relax before leaving, only to have a younger blonde woman house keeper walk into our room without knocking. She immediately shut the door and walked out without saying anything???? I went to the hall to find out what she needed, and she was at the door across from ours, and only turned her head back for a 1/2 second to say (sorry...I need nothing) and walk into that room??? We were ready to leave, so I didn't ruin her day by complaining, and we quickly left (knowing I would be writing this tonight- we checked out this morning 10/21/12). We truly loved our time in Saint Augustine and will definitely go back, however, next time, we'll spend more and stay at a bed and breakfast and/or another hotel. We highly recommend: La Pentola for dinner as it was an amazing restaurant. Eat in the courtyard...it's beautiful!!!!!!

2  Thank Kdigi
Silvie M, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Augustine Downtown Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Date 10/23/12

Country Inns & Suites
231 San Marco Ave
St Augustine, FL.32084

To Whom It May Concern,

I am sorry that you have concerns about your experience at the Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, St. Augustine hotel. Although it is never pleasant to hear when a guest is not satisfied with his or her experience, we do need to be aware of these situations.

Our goal is to make the Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, St. Augustine hotel the choice for our guests while away from home. I will be sharing your comments with the hotel staff during our upcoming meeting as a learning tool to help us improve our performance and provide exceptional service to our guests. We want to be able to provide our guests with the best service possible, and feedback from our guests helps us to achieve that goal.

I want to thank you for taking the time to contact us because your input is valuable to us. We hope we will have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Silvie Mcdowell
Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, St. Augustine, FL

Reviewed 19 October 2012

I would not recommend this place at all. We walked into the room and walked right back out. Very small hotel and the rooms were small for the price. Would not go back and to this hotel or even recommend it to anyone. My husband and I travel alot and were very surprised at the quality of this hotel. Don't waste your money. Pay to go somewhere else.

2  Thank Creampuff77
Silvie M, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Augustine Downtown Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2012

To Whom It May Concern,
On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. Our hotel has standard rooms and suites. When guest is making reservation they have a choice to reserved standard room or suites. We would be happy to move you to a suite if you would let us know. There are a lot of big hotels in our area that have s smaller rooms and they are charging more money. Again we are sorry your visit with us was not as expected. We hope you enjoyed beautiful St.Augustine.

Reviewed 11 October 2012

We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in St Augustine before a cruise. I was reluctant because of the bad reviews. I think everyone is complaining because the hallways do not have air conditioning. It was 84 degrees outside and it felt even hotter in the halls. My room had great air conditioning. It was clean and the breakfast was good. I do not think I could stay here in the summer because I would pass out in the hall putting my key in the door. I think they are just trying to save money.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Pros...close to downtown but not right in the hub bub. Quiet. Staff was extremely friendly. Check in & out was a breeze.

Cons....The room was HOT. The A/C would not cool the room off to where you could sleep comfortably. The 3rd floor hall corridor was also HOT. Complained to front desk, they sent maintenence to look at it, the poor guy was Ukranian and could hardly speak English, said there "was nothing to be done". We looked at a 2nd floor room and it was hot also. Decided to stick it out instead of moving down 1 floor. Complimentary breakfast was horrible! Would highly recommend going to Mary's or Shmagel's for breakfast.

Will not stay here again. Period.

Room Tip: If you want a good deal without noise, this is your place. Need to bring a fan to blow on you all ni...
3  Thank Victoria4986
Silvie M, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Augustine Downtown Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

Date.10/08/12

Country Inns & Suites
231 San Marco Ave
St Augustine, FL.32084

Silvie Mcdowell

Reviewed 25 September 2012

I'd rather not stay here again.

The linen isn't changed when requested and I question whether they actually change it for each new arrival.

The AC works well and keeps the whole suite cool which was a welcome surprise. The in-room amenities were of an OK quality and where replenished daily.

On our floor, there was an ice-machine, drink machine and vending machine...very convenient!

We left a sentimental, valuable item behind and when we called back, front desk was kind enough to follow up and we got it back with no hassle at all. Honesty and integrity of the staff is above and beyond.

Cleanliness is top priority in my book and this hotel fell short.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Country Inn and suites are one of our favorite stays and this did not disappoint. Clean, very friendly staff, and good breakfast. Easy, short ride into town and attractions, at a fraction of the cost. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night passing through. It was $100 for a king bed room. It was clean. Free parking, close to downtown. Across the street.from a convenience store and good mexican restaurant. The best part was the free breakfast. Hot breakfast in the morning is always a treat. Would return.

• Stayed: September 2012