All reviews historic district room was clean front desk clerk red train pool and hot tub fountain of youth minute drive otto augustine attractions trolley
Reviewed 16 November 2012

I have to disagree with the last review. My daughter & I had a wonderful stay at this hotel. We had a late check-in and to walk in after a terrible 2 1/2 hr drive from Orlando at night it was wonderful to have hot fresh baked cookies added to our evening. The front desk clerk was wonderful & pleasant. I felt safe when coming to the hotel and parking the rental car at night. It's above the historic town so it was quiet. The room was very comfortable, clean and sound proof!!! We didn't hear our neighbors!!! We were there for a wedding and took a cab to town rather than the trolley. The front desk clerks were very upfront with you when trying to figure how to get the historic part of the town if you are only staying for 1 night. So we took cabs which they provided info on and only cost us $7.00 for 2 people. Trolley would be the way to go if you stay for 3 days or more because of the expense and they would pick you up at the hotel as well according to the front desk. The hotel had a work out room and small pool but we didn't have time for them but everything looked clean. The breakfast was continental with waffles, cereals, hot bar which changed each day. The breakfast attendant name Otto was so great & very friendly. He was very busy making sure you have all your food & would clean up after you as well. The food & coffee was very good. Would definitely come back to his hotel!!!

Room Tip: The only kids activities was the pool.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank lhberko29
Reviewed 1 November 2012

We booked a room at this hotel just to have a place to put our stuff while we explored St. Augustine. Our search for a better hotel will continue for our future St. Augustine visits. The front desk staff were friendly enough but the niceness ended there. The elevator was small and very clanky, like maybe a couple of guys were pushing the car up the shaft. Our room was on the third floor. Musty smell in the hallways. We noticed a dish basin left in the hallway and the next day it was still there. The bathroom needed attention, very unappealing. Rust, poor painting, and we had to wait about 15 minutes to get hot water in the shower. The shower head was awful. It was more of a trickle than a stream, The most disappointing thing about the room was the bed which was extremely uncomfortable. We could feel the coils through the mattress which made for a very poor night's sleep. Very Frustrating. Breakfast was offered in the morning with a variety of french toast, sausage, eggs, oatmeal, donuts, bagels, toast, juices, coffee, etc. We went down for breakfast about 9 am and the area was crowded with other guests. We ended up taking our breakfast to go. Not a great experience. A remodel on these accomodations would be a great start. Good parking behind the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank ptmd2007
Silvie M, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Radisson, St. Augustine Downtown Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2012

Date 11/05/12

To Whom It May Concern,

I am sorry that you have concerns about your experience at the Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, St. Augustine hotel. Although it is never pleasant to hear when a guest is not satisfied with his or her experience, we do need to be aware of these situations.

Our goal is to make the Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, St. Augustine hotel the choice for our guests while away from home. I will be sharing your comments with the hotel staff during our upcoming meeting as a learning tool to help us improve our performance and provide exceptional service to our guests. We want to be able to provide our guests with the best service possible, and feedback from our guests helps us to achieve that goal.

I want to thank you for taking the time to contact us because your input is valuable to us. We hope we will have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed 26 October 2012

We enjoyed this Country Inn. It is well located on the main street into downtown St. Augustine - about a 5 minute drive. The rooms are small and a little worn, but generally things were in good working order. Bathroom was also a little worn, but very clean. The staff was great and the front desk clerk Debi was terrific. She helped us with an upgrade to a king suite as we are Club Carlson members and gave us wonderful recommendations for which attractions to see - as we didn't have children with us - and also a dinner recommendation which turned out to be a wonderful meal. We would stay there again even though it is not the newest of the Country Inns. We had none of the problems that some of the other reviewers complained of.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Silvie M, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Radisson, St. Augustine Downtown Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2012

Thank you so much for writing this excellent review on Tripadvisor. I appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Please join us again when your travels bring you back to Saint Augustine.

Reviewed 25 October 2012

Hard to know where to begin with how much a cluster this one-night stay was for me and my wife. Selected this "newest hotel in St. Augustine" hoping for a simple one-night refuge. Made reservation for late arrival and arrived on schedule but exhausted at midnight. Struck by mildew smell and NO hot water. Called and learned, "sometimes it takes up to 10 minutes..." ??? Linens smelled bad and we got woken up by a phone call from the front desk at 11 AM to ask if the cleaning people can service the room. (Check out was 12:00 Noon). Bathroom was not very clearn and while the TV remote would power on, it wouldn't change channels. Brought all these issues to the attention of the mgr on duty and she said that I had to take it up with Travelocity. Checked out and ten minutes later learned that I had to call Travelocity BEFORE checking out. Double whammy with no one accountable. Travelocity offered a $50 credit on a future two-night stay. Hmmm. Me thinks with so many online travel sites that customer service would hold the highest potential for differentiation. I traveled 40 of the past 50 weeks on business and so I understand there is a range in service between locations but this was ridiculous. I'll be back to St. Augustine many times as it was the city where my wife and I had our first date and then later got engaged. However, I will not stay at the Country Inn & Suites.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
2  Thank Emest_Da_Bestest

Date 10/29/12

Reviewed 21 October 2012

I had spent a week trying to determine where we wanted to stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary, and finally found out that we were coming in to town during Octoberfest and hotels were booking fast. After a lot of searching I selected Country Inn & Suites because of its previous review, location, and due to my personal opinion of their pricing being moderate and not "too cheap" for fear of a bad experience, and/or "too pricey" for fear of breaking the bank. With that said, we paid $205 a night and stayed for 2 nights. The location wasn't bad, not super close to the historic part of town, approximately 2 miles away from it, but all in all, not too bad. However, when we first walked in to the room, we were immediately hit with a musky and moldy smell. The carpet was pulling away from the tile around the jacuzzi tub in the room (which we never used out of fear of cleanliness) exposing the tac strip, and the bath/shower was rusty, including the metal filter on the hairdryer. We immediately got onto our computers and contemplated finding another place and fighting for our money back, however we were stuck due to no other availability. We were happy with the free breakfast, and the hard working man who helped to maintain the food and cleanliness every morning, however, that was the only pleasant part of our stay. On the day of check out after breakfast we returned to our room to pack up and relax before leaving, only to have a younger blonde woman house keeper walk into our room without knocking. She immediately shut the door and walked out without saying anything???? I went to the hall to find out what she needed, and she was at the door across from ours, and only turned her head back for a 1/2 second to say (sorry...I need nothing) and walk into that room??? We were ready to leave, so I didn't ruin her day by complaining, and we quickly left (knowing I would be writing this tonight- we checked out this morning 10/21/12). We truly loved our time in Saint Augustine and will definitely go back, however, next time, we'll spend more and stay at a bed and breakfast and/or another hotel. We highly recommend: La Pentola for dinner as it was an amazing restaurant. Eat in the courtyard...it's beautiful!!!!!!

2  Thank Kdigi
Silvie M, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Radisson, St. Augustine Downtown Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Date 10/23/12